WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kimsey Creek Trail Info

Anyone know a good place, or is anyone able to provide, information on the Kimsey Creek Trail? I see it noted in an AT guide but google isn’t showing much.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Images

I hiked it from the SI campground to Deep Gap last year. Didn’t have any issues following the trail to the AT.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

I’m referring to the trail that interesects the AT at Deep Gap
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Did not see your response before I made my second post, Tabasco. Is it a loop or a straight shot from Deep Gap to SI?
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    I’m referring to the trail that interesects the AT at Deep Gap
    That trail connects Deep Gap to the Standing Indian campground. It can be used to make a loop from the campground, over standing Indian and Mount Albert, then back to the campground, or be used to skip the section.

The bottom 1/2 mile of the trail can be really wet in spring conditions as creek overflows into the trail. At least it was when I did it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I used it a few years ago to make a loop hike. Picked up the AT at Rock Gap and hiked south to Deep Gap then connected to Kimsey Creek to go to Standing Indian Campground. The only issue I recall was some difficulty in finding the Kimsey Creek trailhead. There is a parking lot at Deep Gap on the forest service road. If I remember correctly Kimsey Creek trail didn't connect to the AT but a little further west on USFS 71.

Following the trail where it starts can be somewhat confusing. Especially as it goes thru and winds around the campgrounds. As noted, there are portions of the trail that are very wet. Beautiful, gentle uphill to Deep Gap. Kimsey Creek has several cascades too.

Images

I did a three day loop clockwise, so ended up at campground. Hungry and smelling hamburgers on several grills.

Interesting trail and a good contrast to firetower and ridge views at Standing Indian Mountain.

Just a little tricky finding trailheads.

Ive used it several times to access the AT. Ive always come down it...

Things of note:

-its a wet trail. This is why I also come down it from the S.I loop. It parrallels Kimsey creek and seems to be flooded and muddy quite often.

-Every time Ive used this trail I end up coming out in a different place. I think the actual trail comes out of the mountains, cuts thru the camp ground and may end up at the backcountry quiosk. I can never really tell

Images

When I hiked down it several years ago, we finished in the dark and lost the trail completely. It's not well-blazed IMHO (or was not then). In the years since, I've read similar complaints.

My advice, contact the local hiking club responsible for the KCT and ask. "Go straight to the horse's mouth," in other words.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I hiked it a few years ago with no problems, thought it was pretty well marked. At deep gap, starts from the lower road. Came out into the camp ground at Standing Indian campground - I came out into the group camp area. The shape the bridges were in then makes me wonder if some of them are even still there, or have they been repaired?

Perhaps some confusing parts are where you come out in open areas. I know in one the trail makes a hard Left if headed towards SI Campground. But it’s not that hard to follow. I’ve done this trail twice and find it pretty easy to follow. I like this trail. Yes it’s wet in places but it’s also a pretty trail.

++ New Posts ++