WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Left my sawyer in my pack in the back of my buddys pickup for 4 hours at 19°. Think it’s toast??

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Left my sawyer in my pack in the back of my buddys pickup for 4 hours at 19°. Think it’s toast??
    Hmm... that's a difficult one. Where was it before it ended up in the truck? Was it in a warmer environment or was it already cold? If it was inside your pack then I am guessing it was fairly well insulated, unless it was in an outside pocket. If it was insulated from the cold then maybe it would be ok.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Per the Sawyer website, there is no way to field test a Sawyer filter to determine if it has been compromised.
    Given how cheap a Sawyer filter is, there's no reason to ever "risk" using a filter that has the possibility it has been compromised.
    Just buy a new one.

I finished my AT hike on Dec 3 of this year. By the 20th of December (after just sitting around in my apartment for a few weeks), my Katadyn filter was already shot and would barely pass water. The same thing actually happened to my Big Berkee filter (at home) while I was away on the hike. I came home to find that $250 worth of filters on my home system were useless as well. I guess its just an annoying filter thing that once you put water through it, you have to keep it wet or it turns into a paperweight. *sigh*

It takes approximately 3-hours for a cup of water to freeze in 18-degree temperatures. When secured in a pack the insulation value of the gear surrounding it would likely add another 30-minutes to an hour, perhaps more if its inside clothing.

That said, I typically use the "if there's a doubt, there is no doubt" philosophy and would agree with HooKooDooKu. Given the low cost of the Sawyer filters if one has a doubt the device is working properly, get a replacement to eliminate the risk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++