Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Results 121 to 129 of 129
  1. #121
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,756
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    I am pretty sure I have seen places to pitch a tent along the 19 Mile Brook Trail just outside of the FPA, or maybe on the Wildcat Ridge section of the AT in that same general area.

    Not 100% sure though - never camped there myself.

    One thing to keep in mind is that so long as you are 1/4 mile from the hut, there is no requirement that you head off the tail 200 feet in that area (it is not a designated wilderness) so you could camp at a spot right along the AT or the 19 Mile Brook Trail if you found one.

    Finding sites (albeit marginal ones) just outside a 1/4 mile FPA is rather common, as it is at Trail junctions.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that camping at spots like that will stick in the craw of some folks even when they are perfectly legal places, they may not realize iit.
    Last edited by rickb; 03-17-2019 at 07:27.

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-15-2008
    Location
    Randolph, NH
    Posts
    10,375
    Images
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that so long as you are 1/4 mile from the hut, there is no requirement that you head off the tail 200 feet in that area (it is not a designated wilderness) — so you could camp at a spot right along the AT or the 19 Mile Brook Trail if you found one.
    Finding sites (albeit marginal ones) just outside a 1/4 mile FPA is rather common, as it is at Trail junctions.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that camping at spots like that will stick in the craw of some folks — even when they are perfectly legal places, they may not realize iit.
    Rick, you like to point out the legality of camping just off the trail, I like to point out it's not easy to do. Heading down a side trail with the hope you might find a suitable place to camp at the end of a long, hard day when it's starting to get dark is one heck of a risk since these spots are pretty scarce.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  3. #123
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,756
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Rick, you like to point out the legality of camping just off the trail, I like to point out it's not easy to do. Heading down a side trail with the hope you might find a suitable place to camp at the end of a long, hard day when it's starting to get dark is one heck of a risk since these spots are pretty scarce.
    Good post!

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,979
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Rick, you like to point out the legality of camping just off the trail, I like to point out it's not easy to do. Heading down a side trail with the hope you might find a suitable place to camp at the end of a long, hard day when it's starting to get dark is one heck of a risk since these spots are pretty scarce.
    which is why conversations like this take place or the guides that have exhaustive lists of camping spots exist.

    youre correct, i wouldnt plan to wander down 19 mile brook trail just to check out and see if theres anywhere to camp at the end of a day. but if i know there are places?

    the aforementioned spot on the trail north end of mahoosuc notch is perhaps the best example of this. youd be crazy to plan for trying to find a spot near there not knowing if it were there, but knowing it is there makes planning a whole heck of a lot different.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-15-2008
    Location
    Randolph, NH
    Posts
    10,375
    Images
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    which is why conversations like this take place or the guides that have exhaustive lists of camping spots exist.

    youre correct, i wouldnt plan to wander down 19 mile brook trail just to check out and see if theres anywhere to camp at the end of a day. but if i know there are places?

    the aforementioned spot on the trail north end of mahoosuc notch is perhaps the best example of this. youd be crazy to plan for trying to find a spot near there not knowing if it were there, but knowing it is there makes planning a whole heck of a lot different.
    That site at the north end of the Notch is well established and is noted in the guide. It's also the only established non-designated camping spot between Gorham and Grafton notch. Yea, you could camp at the south end, but it's not really an established site and is pretty marginal.

    If you don't see a tent site listed in the guide, your probably not going to find one along that stretch of trail.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,979
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That site at the north end of the Notch is well established and is noted in the guide. It's also the only established non-designated camping spot between Gorham and Grafton notch. Yea, you could camp at the south end, but it's not really an established site and is pretty marginal.

    If you don't see a tent site listed in the guide, your probably not going to find one along that stretch of trail.
    the companion doesnt list that site as it (and presumably some other guides) only list named and designated sites. the official guidebook that comes with the maps i'm 90% sure doesnt either.

    i'm sure some other guides list that site, as well as many others that are not named or designated. do those guides say anything about 19 mile brook or pinkham notch having usable, non designated but legal campsites? i have no idea. its why i've been asking.

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-15-2008
    Location
    Randolph, NH
    Posts
    10,375
    Images
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    the companion doesnt list that site as it (and presumably some other guides) only list named and designated sites. the official guidebook that comes with the maps i'm 90% sure doesnt either.

    i'm sure some other guides list that site, as well as many others that are not named or designated. do those guides say anything about 19 mile brook or pinkham notch having usable, non designated but legal campsites? i have no idea. its why i've been asking.
    AT guide has the Mahoosuc notch site listed. It shows only designated sites through out the Whites. The "stealth" sites along the AT in the Whites are few and far between and are typically just big enough for one person in a bivy sack. Hardly worth noting.

    The AT Guide shows the location of many well established tent sites along the AT.

    The ATC Companion would only show official sites, since it is an official publication. Guthook will list legal, well established non-designated sites.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  8. #128
    92.8% complete Berserker's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,018
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Rick, you like to point out the legality of camping just off the trail, I like to point out it's not easy to do. Heading down a side trail with the hope you might find a suitable place to camp at the end of a long, hard day when it's starting to get dark is one heck of a risk since these spots are pretty scarce.
    This is a very good high level summary of the issue with a lot of the posts in this thread. On most of the AT one can just roll on into an area thinking they'll find a spot (where it's legal to do this of course), and can wander around a bit up and down the AT or side trails and usually find something in a reasonable amount of time without expending a lot of energy. In the Whites and Southern ME this isn't the case. A lot of terrain literally just does not have room for one to lay down on the ground much less set up a tent, and wandering around is much more strenuous and time consuming. I remember trying to step off trail one time when I was somewhere in the Whites to use the bathroom and the pine trees were so close together I was having trouble getting in between them.

    So anyway, like I said I concur with your post. There's lots of people that get in on various threads and say that something is easy (hanging a bear line, digging a cat hole with a stick, etc.) and it's really not. I know most people on here know that, but for inexperienced folks that may be reading these threads this is giving them bad advice.
    JMT - 2013

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,979
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    This is a very good high level summary of the issue with a lot of the posts in this thread. On most of the AT one can just roll on into an area thinking they'll find a spot (where it's legal to do this of course), and can wander around a bit up and down the AT or side trails and usually find something in a reasonable amount of time without expending a lot of energy. In the Whites and Southern ME this isn't the case. A lot of terrain literally just does not have room for one to lay down on the ground much less set up a tent, and wandering around is much more strenuous and time consuming. I remember trying to step off trail one time when I was somewhere in the Whites to use the bathroom and the pine trees were so close together I was having trouble getting in between them.

    So anyway, like I said I concur with your post. There's lots of people that get in on various threads and say that something is easy (hanging a bear line, digging a cat hole with a stick, etc.) and it's really not. I know most people on here know that, but for inexperienced folks that may be reading these threads this is giving them bad advice.
    no one on this thread said anything about it being easy.

    but one or two people seem to be of the opinion its not even worth discussing.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •