WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Well its time for the second guessing of gear choices to set it. Just a quick recap of itinerary...
    hanover to grafton notch sept 1st thru 15th
    i am planning to take my WM 30* which i honestly feel warmer in than my montbell UL 15*
    light down hooded puffy(ghost whisperer)
    zip off pants
    long dri fit shirt
    button up short sleeve hiking shirt
    nike shorts
    buff
    altras
    duplex
    Arcteryx zeta rain jacket

So my questionable gear would be
    down beanie
    light gloves
    bag
    leggings
    Rain pants

These questionables are all items that i have always either mailed home on a zero day or not used and carried the whole way included VT this same date frame last year
    that being said, i am treating NH as a whole new animal.

Looking at the mt washington weather data as a benchmark for the trip, it looks like the lowest i could see temp wise is 36* (average low for September). And historically it has only dipped as low as 29* a couple of nights the first 2 weeks of september in the past 4 years.

I am okay being chilly a few nights if it means not having to carry questionable for 2 weeks. For me its just as much of not having to keep up with stuff as it is about the weight.

I need some thoughts and opinions
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 08-15-2019 at 07:59.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    ....Pretty much same as every other 2 week trip except my long sleeve is typically cotton and I carried a 30* bag thru VT this time last year
    I'm curious about choosing cotton for your typical long sleeve.

I think you described it as your long sleeve thermal camp shirt--for typical hikes, but you're switching it out for this NH trip. Did I get that right?

Isn't there a loss and extra weight when clothes can't have multiple uses? I'm thinking that a cotton shirt can't be used comfortably or safely in a lot of circumstances out on a backpacking trip.
    Thanks--it's always good to hear what others folks are choosing gear/clothes-wise....
    Good luck on your trip! I might be up in the Whites around the same time, and this thread is encouraging me to finalize my own plans.

It's suppose to be getting nippy about now, but it's not. It's going to be in the 80's most of next week. I have a feeling early September will be a lot like what late August is suppose to be like. Fall was late to start last year and that seems to be the trend.

That said, at elevation and a clear night it can get pretty chilly, maybe even frost. Legging are a good idea, along with a long sleeve base layer top. Mostly for sleeping. I never use rain pants.

I think you'd want a long sleeve shirt too. Even if it's not especially cold, the wind chill above tree line can be brutal and it's usually windy. Often a good long sleeve shirt will be all you need as a rain jacket would be too warm and sweaty.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverbirchHiker View Post
    I'm curious about choosing cotton for your typical long sleeve.
    I have used a Dickie work shirt for years. It's 65/35 polyester/cotton. Just enough cotton to make it comfortable and durable, but still dries out reasonably quickly. It's also reasonably wind proof. In the summer I use it as a light jacket and in the fall as my hiking shirt.

Wind is always a possibility and frequently its coming a front going by which means wet. The standard recommendation which has a lot of validity is have enough gear to cover all you skin with wind resistant gear for your core. NH Fish and Game has their 10 essentials list and it has the same items included. I carry an OR lightweight balaclava and mittens year round. Some folks use their spare socks in place of mittens, but I use poles and need a thumb. Days are getting noticeably shorter and we are starting to get Canadian weather patterns nosing in an out of the region. So the choice is cold and clear at night of hot and soupy during the day. The balaclava can be used as a beanie. I used it as much at night and early AM as I used it during the day.

Thanks for the replys folks, I edited in a coupled missing items - my long sleeve shirt will be a drifit. And I will be taking my buff. I left those things out.

Well its time for the second guessing of gear choices to set it. Just a quick recap of itinerary...
    hanover to grafton notch sept 1st thru 15th
    i am planning to take my WM 30* which i honestly feel warmer in than my montbell UL 15*
    light down hooded puffy(ghost whisperer)
    zip off pants
    long dri fit shirt
    button up short sleeve hiking shirt
    nike shorts
    buff
    altras
    duplex
    Arcteryx zeta rain jacket

So my questionable gear would be
    down beanie
    light gloves
    bag
    leggings
    Rain pants

I am okay being chilly a few nights if it means not having to carry questionable for 2 weeks. For me its just as much of not having to keep up with stuff as it is about the weight.

I need some thoughts and opinions
    Normally, south of Vermont, your questionable items aren’t necessary. Once into the Whites and especially Maine, those are required items, IMHO. But if you take rain pants, the leggings aren’t needed.

This photo was taken on July 13, 2017 at the height of summer. The day was cold, wet, with sleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leggings are better to sleep in then rain pants, so I'd go with the leggings, regardless.

i bring winter hat and gloves as well as windprotection EVERYTIME any season in the whites and maine now.
    i learned the hard way. got caught in a hail storm with high winds coming down kinsman and was flirting with hypothermia
    by the time in made it down.
    and this was on a july 4th weekend. dont be me

We plan on going South from Mooselauke towards Hanover 8/31 to 9/4. There's a chance we'll cross paths at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    We plan on going South from Mooselauke towards Hanover 8/31 to 9/4. There's a chance we'll cross paths at some point.
    Sweet! Looks like Craig Mains will be in this stretch too on his sobo leg of his yoyo. Weather is looking pretty nice so far!

Sweet! Looks like Craig Mains will be in this stretch too on his sobo leg of his yoyo. Weather is looking pretty nice so far!
    Just remember in the Whites it can drastically change really quick!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Well its blast off day. Thanks everyone for the input, Ill try and update as the days go by. Hoping that the hurricane/ storms dont effect us too much!

Oh i slept in the boston logan int airport! Lol im on the dartmouth coach bus to hanover now. After all the delays didnt get to boston till 1am. Uber was only $140. Got him lined up, he shows up, looked at the trip and said “no thanks, too late for me”. So he canceled the charge and off he went. Tried to get another uber and the price jumped to $350! My buddy and I said the hell with it, slept at the end of a long airport staff building and bought 2 bus tickets for $38 lol we will be there about 10:30. What an adventure so far lmao

Oh i slept in the boston logan int airport! Lol im on the dartmouth coach bus to hanover now. After all the delays didnt get to boston till 1am. Uber was only $140. Got him lined up, he shows up, looked at the trip and said “no thanks, too late for me”. So he canceled the charge and off he went. Tried to get another uber and the price jumped to $350! My buddy and I said the hell with it, slept at the end of a long airport staff building and bought 2 bus tickets for $38 lol we will be there about 10:30. What an adventure so far lmao
    That’s crazy about the Uber!! Good luck and happy hiking!!

Day 1- Hanover to moose mt shelter(tented)
    Day 2- moose mtn to smarts summit(tented)
    Day 3- smarts mtn to 25a

Woke up in heavy rain this morning and slogged down smarts and up and over mt cube. Got out on 25a and headed to barn door hostel. This place is 15 miles off trail but we hitched no problem. (Kinda.) this hostel is absolutely awesome.

Hate to tell you this, more rain Wednesday and hard to say what, if any, impact hurricane Dorian will have this weekend. Sorry you got stuck in the rain, but we really needed it.

Day 4- 25A to rt25 Olivarian Notch.

Slack packing nobo over Moosilauke tomorrow to the notch rain or shine

Looks like t-storms in the afternoon - good luck. I'd go sobo over Moosilauke if your slack packing it. Easier to go up the treacherous side then down it, especially if you get caught in the storm. Which can be real nasty.

At least it looks like the hurricane will have little or no impact on us. I pity those in the Bahamas. Man, they got devastated.

Day 5. Over Moosilauke. Did it in 5 hours. Strong wind and rain on top, tstorm hit us on the way down. It was very sketchy. I wouldn't wish the north side of Moosilauke on my worst enemy.

Tomorrow we slack over the kinsman's. I know its gunna be a long day.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++