WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bear bag line control

What is the best way to keep your bear bag line from turning into a big knot while using it and while storing it? Should the line be stored on something in particular?

Journal Entries

Wrapping line or rope will introduce twists.
    One way to not have tangles in line or rope, is to stuff it.

Stuff it in small pouch. Last -in, first-out.

Actually can throw larger rope this way in a rope-bag. Rope pays out of bag tangle free as its slung.
    Not as easy, but tangle days will be over. I use a small cuben pouch for dyneema line.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-31-2018 at 02:09.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    What is the best way to keep your bear bag line from turning into a big knot while using it and while storing it? Should the line be stored on something in particular?
    Figure 8 wrap

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Figure 8 wrap
    This really works

Quote Originally Posted by hikermiker View Post
    This really works
    Yup. I use it for all types of small diameter cord using my thumb and pinkie.

I wrap mine around a small piece of cardboard with notches to hold the end knots. Simple and fits perfectly in a little rock sack.

I made this "H" spool from a piece of plastic and covered it with red duct tape so I could see it. The line is Dacron and is very strong.

SAM_4415.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Bear bag line control

How many feet of line do you have in that picture?

Figure 8 wrap
    I have used this forever on larger line and hoses, mostly on decks or the ground. I must try it on tarp lines. Great tip.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I just stuff mine into a ziplock bag. I use z-line that seems less likely to tangle than para cord.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Thanks for the help! I will try both and see which one works better for old folks.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    How many feet of line do you have in that picture?
    At least 50. Never actually measured it.

Yep, I figure 8 all my tarp lines and bear bag line. Then a few wraps with the last foot of line. For the bear bag line, I figure-8 it, then wrap it, and stuff it inside the attached rock-sack.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Yep, I figure 8 all my tarp lines and bear bag line. Then a few wraps with the last foot of line...
    It's a combination of factors that works for me for tangle free bear bag line: stiffer reflective line , shorter length, the way its wrapped, and the way it's stored

Similar to RHJ. I take it this far then use a small rubber band around the last few wraps. I like stiffer bear bag cord using ZP's 1.2mm Z-Line reflective using 30 -40 ft depending on the anticipated trees. It's easier to work with for this function. And, like RJH I will use the same line at times for guy outs on tarps. It's rarely thrown directly in the pack or any pocket. It gets stored at the top of an always clean cook pot with everything else for cooking. I use it for hauling up my pack when climbing up ledges, pour offs, to length a ridgeline line tie to a tree for tarps, etc. Nice to have something reflective for old guys too.

They're surprised that physics works?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Figure 8 wrap
    Yes; find something not too small and not too big and not too heavy to wind it on; I store in my food bag outside of the OP sack so it's there right where I need it.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I tried the two carabiner hang method and was unable to make it work. But I didn't know about the anti-slippage knots on the rope to keep the top biner from sliding down as you pulled the rope threw it. So, the food bag ended up only halfway up to the branch, which was usually way too low.

Yep, that's the tricky part, getting enough friction in the section that rests on the branch not to slip.
    It's one the negatives of the system. As others have said another is getting the distance of the bag properly off the ground AND KEEPING IT THERE. Making bear bagging more complicated means the system is less likely to be utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's one the negatives of the system. As others have said another is getting the distance of the bag properly off the ground AND KEEPING IT THERE. . .
    Done right, that hang makes it much easier to keep the bag further from the ground because the bag only drops 1/2 the distance of the line between the hang carabiner and where you tie the stopper stick unlike the PCT method that drops the bag the full distance from the carabiner to your stopper stick.

You can also do this hang with a rope loop instead of a carabiner at the food bag (like with the PCT).

Finally, if you tie the tag end of your line back onto the carabiner at the food bag before hoisting it, you can then use that line to pull the bag away from a tree if hanging straight down is too close to the trunk.

Oh, so many great variants to bamboosal the mind with.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Yep, I figure 8 all my tarp lines and bear bag line. Then a few wraps with the last foot of line. For the bear bag line, I figure-8 it, then wrap it, and stuff it inside the attached rock-sack.
    Same here.

Unwinds just fine on the throw.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++