WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Overmountain Shelter

I just saw reference on Instagram that, "our time with the shelter might be limited". I read into that there is at least a rumor floating around that the shelter might be scheduled for removal/teardown. Does anyone have the real information? Many good memories from waking up to the views from the lower level and tenting in the grassy area.

Dang...hope not. Was gonna stay there in 2 years during an Erwin to Damascus section.

Any idea who owns the shelter. For some reason, I had it in my mind that it is on private land but that may be wrong.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Journal Entries
    Images

Keep the shelter, tear down the privy.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I've not heard anything concrete about it going away. I wouldn't be against it if they built something like the Mountaineer Falls Shelter in its place. I hear nothing but complaints about the drafts of the barn but a new shelter with multiple floors and a cool seating area overlooking the valley might be just as good.

There is a lot of traffic there but its pretty limited to the grassy area and I've not personally noticed any egregious behavior other than the occasional party over the years. I do think they need to install a few black snakes as the mice situation is like nowhere I've ever seen.

I can’t imagine why they’d tear it down unless it’s structurally unsound. I’ve spent two of my coldest nights there several years apart. I hope my big arse hanging my hammock upstairs didn’t do it in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not very fond of that place. I stayed there a year ago. The loft was full, so I laid out my sleeping bag on the lower platform. A fog bank rolled in that night and all my gear got soaked (it never rained). If I ever go back there, I'll spend the night in a tent for sure.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I'd hate to see it go. I spent the night there on two occasions. Once I hung upstairs and the other time was in November and I stayed on the platform outside. It was cold as he11. I still remember the wind would come rushing up from the valley throughout the night and it honestly sounded like a freight train. Kinda scared me the first time till I figured out what it was. All that being said, I have fond memories from those two nights and I'd like it to be left alone. To me it's possibly the most iconic shelter on the trail.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Since the barn was designed to dry tobacco leaves, it wasn't made to be very wind proof. Fog and mist does blow through it. In rotten weather, you are better in a tent.

If the structure is starting to disintegrate and looking like a stiff wind could knock it over, then that would be reason to abandon it. A restoration would be a major undertaking. It would make more sense to build a new building.

BTW, if you follow the gravel road below the shelter out, you end up a long, long way from where you really want to be.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

AT .
    The trail where "hikers" complain about quality of buildings they sleep in.

What a bunch of crap.

Tear them all down
    Reduce whiny baby hikers

Amazing how other trails are great without them . Wouldnt consider the ridiculous concept
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-27-2018 at 04:06.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    I just saw reference on Instagram
    hmmmm ... very interesting ... I'd like to know who posted what on Instagram.

The Barn is leaning and in need of repair or possible destruction. No decisions have been made at this point, but it might come down. If it is removed the camping area will likely remain with some tent platforms or some other camping possibilities. At any rate the view will remain the same.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    hmmmm ... very interesting ... I'd like to know who posted what on Instagram.
    This post from August may be what he's referring to: "Sad to hear to old barn is coming down . . . trail maintainers said it’s leaning too much and Bob Peoples (of the Kincora hostel) and group is going to take it down and replace it with a large three wall. :-( "

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmtuDMbF...ountainshelter

I hope not. That's one of the trail icons. A must see (and stay at) for me.
    - Trail name: Thumper

The comment I referenced was simply a single line in IG that referred that our time with shelter might be limited. To be clear, neither I nor the comment I mentioned speak to a removal plan. Mountain Squid... the IG comment was made by a gentleman who goes by Markthompson1942.

Anyone have any idea when this might happen, (if it does indeed get torn down)? I would really like to get back there one more time if it's gonna be gone. I just realized it's the only shelter I've actually slept in. Don't care much for shelters as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    AT .
    The trail where "hikers" complain about quality of buildings they sleep in.

What a bunch of crap.

Tear them all down
    Reduce whiny baby hikers

Amazing how other trails are great without them . Wouldnt consider the ridiculous concept
    thank you so much, muddy waters!

just my thought when i read this. i for my part was happy to sleep in the "shelter" in 1998. there were 2 barking dogs, more mice running around than nails in the wood, it was drafty and loud, the wind blew the fog inside having ripped apart the plastic foil taped over the big opening in the wall.

what a ****ty place (compared to a hotel), i absolutely agree.

still 100 times better than sleeping outside in driving wind and fog and rain with temps little below freezing. i was thankful for it being there at that time, and i think of it as a not so good nite on the trail. but i was then, and i am now, grateful that it was there. so whats to complain....? if you like it better ouside than stay outside. if its better inside, then use it but don´t complain. be happy for it.

too bad its in a bad shape. "the barn" will be missed by many!
    happy trails
    lucky luke

I didn't investigate its structural integrity, but it seemed in pretty good shape a few weeks ago when I stayed there.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelbear View Post
    I didn't investigate its structural integrity, but it seemed in pretty good shape a few weeks ago when I stayed there.
    It's been about 4-5 years since I was there and it seemed solid to me too. I'm no engineer but I didn't see anything structurally wrong with it. Yeah, the design allows the wind to blow straight through but that's not a defect.

Just thinking... Is there someone on here with the knowledge and wherewithal to start a petition or better yet a Go Fund Me to save this icon? I wouldn't know where to begin but I'd definitely sign a petition or donate to help this cause. Seems to me I remember a member on here who is a trail maintainer with The Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club. Anyone know who I'm talking about? Maybe he could shed some light on what's proposed and what we could possibly do to save "The Barn".

Images

Mountain Squid
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++