WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Built in the 1970s. Converted into a AT shelter in the 1990s.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

To add to the info from Tennessee Viking's post:
    Info courtsey of the TEHCC
    Shelter: Overmountain

Description Arguably the most unique shelter on the entire Appalachian Trail with a great view looking down into Roaring Creek Valley. A classic wooden two-story barn built in the 1970s to meet the needs of a local farm, it was later converted to a shelter and renovated in the 1990s. The barn comfortably accommodates up to 30 people and is the only TEHCC shelter with a privy.

Maintenance History
    May 2012: Replaced 15 loft floor boards with old barn boards. Refastened picnic table legs with screws. After six years, the privy was again repaired and relocated over a new 5'x4'x4' pit. The old pit was covered with a row of 8" logs, then dirt from the new pit, and finally the old toilet lid was placed on top.
    2010: Replaced 2x10 framing and bottom two feet of siding on uphill side with treated lumber, installed guttering on uphill side, painted roof on uphill side and painted entire exterior using grant funds from North Carolina Appalachian Trail License Plate.
    2006: Replaced tops of ground level sleeping platforms with painted plywood using grant funds from North Carolina Appalachian Trail License Plate.
    Mar 2006: Relocated privy. The platform was enlarged and placed over a 5'x4'x4' hole lined with rough sawn pine boards. Old hole with soil and logs.
    2002: The "Older American" crew installed braces at each bottom end of the barn on the side where the sleeping areas are located. It should be more stable during wind events now.
    1996: Framed the ground level and put in gravel to eliminate the dust. Covered the upstairs wall cracks to prevent entry of wind and rain. Built two sleeping platforms on the ground level. Built a bench upstairs. Painted the outside and installed a picnic table.
    1995: TEHCC and Fred Lashley installed new roof.
    1993: Reinforced structure in loft area. Dug ditch on back side, lined with plastic and filled with large rock for drainage. Enclosed stairwell and opening in loft with safety rails, cut door opening on ground level and installed bench upstairs.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Anyone have a current status on the shelter? Any word on future plans?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I was up there about a month ago and it was still in good shape. I can't imagine its going anywhere for a long time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    Thanks.

Out of curiosity, have there been any discussions about installing a moldering privy when the current one is retired? Given how much use this site sees, it seems like an ideal candidate.
    I believe elevation is a problem for the moldering privies. We typically just move this one every several years.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I missed our last Partnership meeting due to being down at Springer, but I don't think there was a resolution yet. I'll try to remember to get confirmation this week during trail maintenance.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    I was up there about a month ago and it was still in good shape. I can't imagine its going anywhere for a long time.

Still there as of last week. The privy lets you see the entire valley and everyone who is in line.

The wind can be amazing. Use a ground cloth or foot print.

Images

As a sleeping space, it's not great. I slept in it once; ever after I've tented nearby.

But it's the only shelter on the AT I can think of that enhances the space it sits on.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post

But it's the only shelter on the AT I can think of that enhances the space it sits on.
    Good point.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++