Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68
  1. #21
    mountain squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-20-2006
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,514
    Journal Entries
    4
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    Seems to me I remember a member on here who is a trail maintainer with The Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
    Yeah, that is me. I don't believe funds are an issue. Inspections have been made but a resolution has not yet been decided as I mentioned already. Yes, it is an icon and many, many, many hikers have stayed there. We had reports that over 100 were there over Labor Day weekend.

    Thanks johnacraft and Rightfoot for providing the Instagram account. I was curious and now I know it was secondhand information being relayed.

    See you on the trail,
    mt squid

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-22-2012
    Location
    Lake City, SC
    Age
    60
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Thanks MS. Will you keep us updated as you find out more?
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-04-2017
    Location
    Central CT
    Age
    32
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I was sad when I stayed at Bob People's hostel and he was telling me it might come down, right after I stayed in it. I have a good story from my stay there, or actually on my way...

    I thought the blue blazed trail was just for water so I took the trail that veered to the left and I'm thinking it's taking longer then I should. I heard the barn was in a field and I saw a big opening ahead so kept going, up hill, and come out into a huge field with absolutely nothing in it! …. I turn around and way in the distance in a much lower field I can just see the barn from high above it and I'm thinking "you gotta be kidding me". At this point it's in the 20s and snowing on me, freezing all day with snow showers, I just came from the highest shelter on the AT 7-8 miles back which I hiked up to in a rain storm then everything froze and started snowing overnight. It would be at least 45 minutes from my glance at it before I actually made it to the barn.

    at least I got to see a couple deer running through a snowy field that I otherwise wouldn't have seen... there was snow blowing in through the cracks of the barn that night but I sure was glad it was there

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Thanks johnacraft and Rightfoot for providing the Instagram account. I was curious and now I know it was secondhand information being relayed.

    See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    Happy to help, and thank you for the update.

    Do I remember correctly that there was some substantial foundation work done on the downhill wall a few years back?

    And I'll add my request that, if you have time and think of it, I'm sure many of us would appreciate updates or point us to a place where we might find them (like the TEHCC web site). I've never stayed in the barn itself, but I do enjoy camping there, and like many will want to make one last visit to pay our respects.

    IMG_20171004_081045.jpg

  5. #25

    Default

    Absolutely my favorite shelter on the AT and a place where years after my hike I first introduced a friend to the AT. I'd be sad to see it go.

  6. #26
    illabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,246
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Some shelters aren't worth saving. This one is. But if the decision is to take it down, I hope they will reuse the barn materials for the new shelter. Not just for the sake of recycling, but as an alternate way to preserve the barn.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-22-2012
    Location
    Lake City, SC
    Age
    60
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Some shelters aren't worth saving. This one is. But if the decision is to take it down, I hope they will reuse the barn materials for the new shelter. Not just for the sake of recycling, but as an alternate way to preserve the barn.
    Totally agree with this.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

  8. #28
    mountain squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-20-2006
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,514
    Journal Entries
    4
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    Do I remember correctly that there was some substantial foundation work done on the downhill wall a few years back?
    And I'll add my request that, if you have time and think of it, I'm sure many of us would appreciate updates
    We did some work on the retaining wall by the sleeping platforms. If I remember we added some logs.

    I'll try to keep everyone updated as I learn things.

    See you on the trail,
    mt squid

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-22-2012
    Location
    Lake City, SC
    Age
    60
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Sounds good. Thanks MS.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-08-2014
    Location
    St Augustine, Florida
    Age
    55
    Posts
    67

    Default

    It is a historic structure that needs to be saved. We get a crap load of whining when people talk about putting a pipeline through a zone that helps thousands get less expensive power yet a little draft and inconvenience and we want to tear it down.

    Historic Icons need to be preserved for posterity

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    It is a historic structure that needs to be saved. We get a crap load of whining when people talk about putting a pipeline through a zone that helps thousands get less expensive power yet a little draft and inconvenience and we want to tear it down.

    Historic Icons need to be preserved for posterity
    Please share with me what is historic about this barn, someone mentioned it was a tobacco barn, that doesn't make it historic? If it is deemed unsafe and it is too expensive to bring it up to a safe place for hikers then it needs to come down.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-08-2014
    Location
    St Augustine, Florida
    Age
    55
    Posts
    67

    Default

    It was an old farmstead used before the trail was even established. It is part of the mountain lifestyle. It should be preserved as it is part of history in the Appalachians. We preserve historical homes and barns in many places Look at GSMNP.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Please share with me what is historic about this barn, someone mentioned it was a tobacco barn, that doesn't make it historic? If it is deemed unsafe and it is too expensive to bring it up to a safe place for hikers then it needs to come down.
    Its probably the most famous shelter on the AT. Tens of thousands of people have stayed there and had great memories of it for over 30 years. Many groups from all over the country and the world plan trips every year to meet at the barn as part of their yearly hiking trip with friends and family. Lots of people around here grew up going there as kids and have some of our first memories of hiking and camping at Roan Mountain and the barn.

    That makes it historic.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Please share with me what is historic about this barn, someone mentioned it was a tobacco barn, that doesn't make it historic? If it is deemed unsafe and it is too expensive to bring it up to a safe place for hikers then it needs to come down.
    Or, just tell lazy building loving AT people to sleep in a tent like real hikers. Eliminate it as an AT shelter all together. It can stay as historic bldg.

    No shelter is needed or needs replacement.
    Shelters need to be done away with
    Create more concentrated tent camping areas like new Hawk mtn instead.

    It will reduce party crowd, #s, and spread people out more
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-31-2018 at 20:53.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,707

    Default

    An AT icon. View. Drafty. Cold. Appreciated on a few rainy or snowy days. Gorgeous scene arriving in the snow! Historic? I don't know if it merits enough widespread historical significance not to be torn down. Meese could be out in force even during the day. One of the AT's worse in terms of emboldened rampaging meese. This alone made me usually move on. It obviously could be a party spot. Beer cans galore. Shelter maintainers like Mountain Squid must have had their hands full.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    It was an old farmstead used before the trail was even established. It is part of the mountain lifestyle. It should be preserved as it is part of history in the Appalachians. We preserve historical homes and barns in many places Look at GSMNP.
    Many more were torn down or not preserved than preserved. It takes resources to preserve structures. Seems every time on WB donating one's resources or considering one's behavior to contribute to conservation and such endeavors is mentioned the post count is ridiculously low and the thread quickly fizzles.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Or, just tell lazy building loving AT people to sleep in a tent like real hikers. Eliminate it as an AT shelter all together. It can stay as historic bldg.

    No shelter is needed or needs replacement.
    Shelters need to be done away with
    Create more concentrated tent camping areas like new Hawk mtn instead.
    It will reduce party crowd, #s, and spread people out more

    I love how bitter old men now consider people hiking 2000 miles lazy. I say get rid of shoes too. Lazy people want shoes now? What babies!

    Its unfortunate how so many people go through life so upset at what others think and feel the need to ruin their experience because the are the true superior hiker. Pathetic.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    I love how bitter old men now consider people hiking 2000 miles lazy. I say get rid of shoes too. Lazy people want shoes now? What babies!

    Its unfortunate how so many people go through life so upset at what others think and feel the need to ruin their experience because the are the true superior hiker. Pathetic.
    Whats pathetic , is judgemental people that ignore facts.

    No other long trail sans LT, that AT was copied from, has copious shelters. Or privys even.

    In spite of this, they also dont have AT degree of problems.

    JMT manages AT scale of hikers per day with minimal impact. No trash, partiers, overflowing privys . CT does too nowdays.

    Shelters create problems with high use. Its a demonstrated fact. Shelters are only moderately clean because caring people volunteer to clean them up regularly and pack out garbage that wont burn.

    Bottom line.....they attract wrong type of people. People with limited concern for environment they are in. Give people a building and they behave like they are in town. Leaving trash, discarding gear, and attracting people truly unprepared to be self sufficient. Evidence is overwhelming.....that does not occur when they arent there.

    Bitter? Ha. No. Such ignorance.
    I actually care that our limited resources be appreciated and respected and protected by people that use them.

    If that results in inconvenience, so be it. Its not about you.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-01-2018 at 11:12.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Some shelters aren't worth saving. This one is. But if the decision is to take it down, I hope they will reuse the barn materials for the new shelter. Not just for the sake of recycling, but as an alternate way to preserve the barn.
    If it is removed and rebuilt then I agree with using some of the old boards and beams

    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    It was an old farmstead used before the trail was even established. It is part of the mountain lifestyle. It should be preserved as it is part of history in the Appalachians. We preserve historical homes and barns in many places Look at GSMNP.
    Old doesn't make it historical. I am currently renovating a house built in 1922, that doesn't mean it's a historical house. Bayview if you want to go through proper channels and donate your own $$$ and time to renovate the barn by all means do it.


    What other LONG trails in the U.S. besides the AT and LT have shelters? PCT none that I remember, CDT none that I remember and there is no need for them.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-09-2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    59
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I'm sorry I posted this in the first place. I was only asking a simple question and never intended it to become a debate on the value of shelters on the trail.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •