WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i'm sure its quite old.

that said, isnt it the NPS's position on the non corridor trails not to improve or really even maintain them at all? that doesnt seem to be very stringently stuck to (i know they did major repair on the grandview in the fairly recent past). i'd be surprised if they did work to fix a scary spot on one of those trails.

thats a good point about there not being any reports of death by falling. i also really have to wonder how many people even venture anywhere near the trailhead though. those who don't probably are careful people. though evidently a few havent been when it comes to dealing with the heat and lack of water. so who knows.
    Ahh, the nankoweep ledge portion is tame compared to the non technical non climbing gear 'climbing'/scrambling of other noted off trail "climber's"/backpacker's routes. There were others long before Atwood and Rudlow who are noted for their awesome 700 mile? GC Traverse who did GC ledge routes some with quite a bit of exposure should any mistake occur making the 'hike' fatal. But read here: https://backpackinglight.com/grand-c...-rim-traverse/ There was a nice write up in the HMG blog with more details and pics of this GC Traverse. I would have loved loved to have been along!

I work an academic year calendar so I have a week off for "Spring" break the first full week of March. That would be my time to go. I was thinking along the lines of a 4 day trip down Hermit Trail to Monument Creek, Tonto Trail to the main corridor campgrounds (some combination of Indian Gardens, Bright Angel, Cottonwood) and up Bright Angel or South Kaibab (or reverse that).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I work an academic year calendar so I have a week off for "Spring" break the first full week of March. That would be my time to go. I was thinking along the lines of a 4 day trip down Hermit Trail to Monument Creek, Tonto Trail to the main corridor campgrounds (some combination of Indian Gardens, Bright Angel, Cottonwood) and up Bright Angel or South Kaibab (or reverse that).
    Just for fun and curiosity, I googled up "time of spring break statistics", and got this graph for Disney world crowds, basically based on time of kids' spring break for the whole country:

https://yourfirstvisit.net/wp-conten...visit.net_.jpg

It shows a clear dip in early-mid March, then picks up for mid-late March thru early-mid April, then drops again. The black lines are weekends, the blue are weekdays, the red are holidays (Presidents day and Easter shown).

So earlier in March or later in April is better, basically, in trying to avoid crowds (and full backpack permit quotas) a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++