WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Suggested 1 night Hike in Grand Canyon

I've previously done South Kiabab/Bright Angle as an overnight hike with kids. Looking for input on suggestions for other 1 night hiking trips in Grand Canyon with kids.

Images

How old are the kids? Look at down the Hermit trail (from the end of the west rim drive), over a short way on the Tonto (1 miles-ish), camp there, then next day up the Boucher (boo-shay) trail. Fantastic loop, done it twice, going to do it again this winter, probably. I ask "how old" because there is a small, short, little scrambly upclimb along the Boucher trail. I personally thought is was way over-hyped in difficulty, it really was pretty easy. Probably easier for the kids than us adults.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ages 10 and 12

Havasupai Falls CG. 10 m one way. Supai Village to break it up a bit at 8 m. Add in some S Rim overlooks.

Do a day hike at the N Rim - Roaring Springs and back up? Stay at the NR CG. Follow that up with N Rim overlooks Cape Royal, Point Imperial, etc. Next day stay at the quieter Stateline CG TH not in GS NP but nearby(where the AZT starts, Hayduke Tr goes through, etc) but more importantly is within a short day hike striking distance(across or down the gravel road) from wandering Buckskin Gulch as a DAY HIKER and THE WAVE.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Ages 10 and 12
    Good ages.... I also forgot to ask: when? Time of year makes a difference. Another good loop is down the Grandview and up the New Hance. I only have experience on South Rim trails, given we always and only go to the GC from October thru April, when the North side is closed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I also forgot to ask: when?
    Drat... I had included that data in at least one draft of this question but obviously left it out in the one I posted...

This would be a spring time trip BEFORE the North Rim opens for the year.

Following as hiking in Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. I've read about some of the trails suggested above, but concerned as both the New Hance and Boucher trails are described in the GCNP literature as being the most demanding of South Rim trails, degraded, unmaintained, dry, and difficult to navigate. They say they are for experienced GC hikers. Are they just trying to scare us away?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    They say they are for experienced GC hikers. Are they just trying to scare us away?
    I've wondered about things like that...
    A trail on my bucket list is to one day hike the Nankoweap Trail and it includes warns such as needing route finding skills.

Images

Following as hiking in Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. I've read about some of the trails suggested above, but concerned as both the New Hance and Boucher trails are described in the GCNP literature as being the most demanding of South Rim trails, degraded, unmaintained, dry, and difficult to navigate. They say they are for experienced GC hikers. Are they just trying to scare us away?
    i havent personally hiked many of the non corridor trails at GC but from what ive researched and talked to people about, GC is one place where the NPS warnings aren't always hyperbole. especially when it comes to the trails that the casual tourists aren't ever getting anywhere near.

Images

I've wondered about things like that...
    A trail on my bucket list is to one day hike the Nankoweap Trail and it includes warns such as needing route finding skills.
    route finding skills aside, i dont know how keen i am on hiking on this-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...40569487894499

Images

The NPS rangers are definitely conservative, I suppose they need to be to protect the very novice folks.

Having hiked about a dozen (more?) separate trails/routes in the GC, I can reasonably put them in 3 categories:

The main corridor trails, like the Bright Angel and Kaibab; well maintained, signed, easy to follow, good trail (well, except for the mule damage), sure they get physical climbing from the river to the rim, but so what.

The really rough, difficult to follow "trails", more like established routes, like the Escalante and probably the Nantoweep routes/trails. Many times these trails have a whole bunch of difficult and exposed (to falls) terrain. I personally would not bring kids on these routes, unless they were very experienced with such stuff, or I took rope gear to protect the climbs/traverses.

The in-between, like the Boucher and New Hance trails; yes, you do have to pay attention now and then, and know how to navigate if you do get off route. With today's phone apps and GPS's, this becomes pretty darn easy, as long as you include a backup. I personally would have no problem taking 10-12 yo kids if they have some decent experience hiking trails that can get rough in a place or two.

Just my take. By the way, the Grandview trail meets up with the Tonto part way down, I mis-spoke earlier, meaning to say take the Grandview to the Tonto to the river, then up the New Hance.

And by the way, the spring is a great time to go there. In fact, anytime between now and spring is great. Just don't hike the GC from late may thru September unless you like it hot-hot-hot!

Be very aware, of course, of water resources. The CO river either runs crystal clear or looks like Chocolate milk.... when it's chocolate milk, you generally have to scoop some up, add alum (get it at grocery store) to make it settle better, then filter off the top. Some trail, like the Hermit/Boucher have water resources from creeks that generally run clear enough to filter directly from. Check with the Rangers. Good peeps, if not a bit conservative.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

Wish that photo was dated...
    I've read that the park service has improved "the scary spot" from what it was like about a decade ago.
    I've also taken comfort in the fact that I have NOT been able to find anything online listing anyone ever being killed or injured due to a fall on the Nankoweep. To be sure, people have died hiking the Nankoweep, but all the accounts I can find online are of people who have died of heat related causes and NOT falls.

Getting a camping permit can be a major limitation. Last year we got one on our third try, in a remote unpopular area (Tanner) with no water... We just entered the lottery for spots in Oct 2019 and it took two months to be informed that we did not win the lottery, so we have nothing.

If it's for one night, you could do Havasu Canyon. We found it pretty spectacular with the waterfalls and all... 8 miles down, 8 miles up. Huge campground near the falls.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Getting a camping permit can be a major limitation.
    Not even sure we're going to go to GC next year.
    But if we do, it will be in March. So I need to submit a permit application by the end of this month so that I'll be in the lottery for the March permits.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

On the ledge portion the main navigational issue is knowing when to drop off the Supai ledge portion. You're just going forward.
    I've read that the park service has improved "the scary spot" from what it was like about a decade ago.
    I've also taken comfort in the fact that I have NOT been able to find anything online listing anyone ever being killed or injured due to a fall on the Nankoweep. To be sure, people have died hiking the Nankoweep, but all the accounts I can find online are of people who have died of heat related causes and NOT falls.
    It's still like that unless something has changed in the last umm 22 months. There is NOT one "scary" spot potential to fall 100's of ft! There are multiple places I'd describe that way... much of the hike!

I've said before in PM's, but will again say openly, the navigational rec by the GC NPS is based on properly locating the final steep descent from Tilted Mesa to Nankoweep Cr. and maybe finding the original TH and seasonal aspects. There is no real defined consistent trail from Nankoweep Cr(nice shaded flat sites under Cottonwoods) to the CR either but the rail is following the creek downstream to the CR which is a major paddling stop as the nearby Anasazi Granaries are nearby.

This is in not a 1 night hike I'd be readily inclined to bring along my also "specially gifted" 10 and 12 nieces and nephews. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Keep reading. What would play into my final decision after having evaluated maybe 2-3(I would not take a party of more than 2 or 3 10-12 yr olds on this hike, I have 13 nieces and nephews and I can only safely handle that many at time on a hike like this) of my nieces and nephews abilities and personality in this dynamic group setting, if I were in your shoes, would be my own comfortability and experiences in ledge and steep hiking(descent and ascent) settings, AND exactly when in spring I was anticipating. I WOULD NOT take 10-12 yr olds on this hike of any magnitude if I had recent reports of snow or an ice on the Nankoweep.

Here's what you might consider: Don't do the steep switchbacked and strait descent to Nankoweep Ck from Tilted Mesa! At about 2 miles in of the ledge hiking portion there is enough room at Marion Pt for 3 P at a CS. It is really just a flat piece of ground on a point. OR, once identifying Tilted Mesa at about 4 m in and at the conclusion of much of the most hairiness ledge pics presented there's a CS that might hold for 3 p in one tent or two smaller footprint tents. Both these possible camping areas contain no water and have steep drop offs but since on pts have substantial views into a side canyon. I wouldn't take anyone else's water cached at either of these pts UNLESS there was a note saying it was alright. If the 10-12 yr olds are into occasional horseplay/arguments or not taking immediate directions I would not consider the Nankoweep in any form. AND, from the get go, being real honest with myself, I'd behave as I was mainly doing the hike to enjoy it in a party with them, with them knowing they were under my complete care.
    If your party has already experienced going to the CR via the S Kaibab and BA seeing one of the most photographed waterfalls in the world and being able to splash in it while being exposed to Supai/Native American culture broadens to a nice diversity of experiences IMO. Trail isn't majorly strenuous or dangerous either IMO for kids if they already did a 2 day 1 nighter descent to the BA Lodge/CG via the SK and ascent via the BA. Might even add in the Havasupai Skywalk out over the canyon. They'd prolly enjoy that.

I do agree with CR's assessment of some like drop off dangers on both the SK and BA and on the Grandview and Hance. However the later aren't exactly main corridor the most well maintained corridor trails meant for stock. Grandview has steep sided switchbacks only 24-28' wide at the top. It levels out more near Horseshoe Mesa. Horseshoe Mesa area is a pretty cool place as you descend to it. CS's are located here. For myself, I'm like CR though I like ascending differently than I descended.

Lots of sun exposure made more strenuous as you ascend after a 1 n turn around back to the rim.

When in spring? I assume it's before May 15 when N Rim facilities are more available?

March, 90% IMHO stay away from the N Rim w/ the kids. But my kids are very special.

Images

i'm sure its quite old.

that said, isnt it the NPS's position on the non corridor trails not to improve or really even maintain them at all? that doesnt seem to be very stringently stuck to (i know they did major repair on the grandview in the fairly recent past). i'd be surprised if they did work to fix a scary spot on one of those trails.

thats a good point about there not being any reports of death by falling. i also really have to wonder how many people even venture anywhere near the trailhead though. those who don't probably are careful people. though evidently a few havent been when it comes to dealing with the heat and lack of water. so who knows.

In fact it was the middle of March when we had a lot of trouble getting a permit for 3 people/4 nights. Very busy time in the Canyon.

Images

We go to the GC every spring, 16 years running, every time in March or April, from late March thru late April, multiple trips on all these weekends (we do a rim-rim-rim every year....). Late March is the most crowded, getting slightly less crowded into late April. It also depends on when Easter is, avoid that if you can... Something tells me Spring Break is in late March is the SW USA, perhaps all over AZ, adding to the late March crowding.

Anyway, if you can avoid the weekend, try to do so, but if not, just get on those permits asap, get a primary and a backup location. Forget about Indian Gardens or Bright Angel CG's, but you're not heading there anyway.

Avoiding the main trails, once you're in the canyon, life is good, the crowds die off a mile or less from the rim.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I appreciate any info on Nankoweep trail. It's on my bucket list, but NOT in consideration for this trip.

The corridor trails are in contention. The 12yo did them when he was 7 and is excited at the idea of hiking GC again. The 10yo has not much camping and was too young when I hiked GC the 1st time. She hasn't done much camping at all so far, but has joined me sevseve times on trips to LeConte Lodge in GSMNP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++