WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 25-50 Miler in or around Virginia for large youth group?

We're trying to plan a 25-50 mile hike for a group of 20-30 teenagers next summer. We're located in Richmond, VA and we're looking for something within a 5 hour drive (closer the better though). We want something challenging, but not terribly hard. The teens will be in relatively good shape, but are not avid hikers. Preferably it would have water sources along the way so we can refill waters easily. We're not sure how many days we'll be going for yet, but we'd probably want to target around 10 miles a day on average, so there would need to be frequent camping areas big enough to accommodate a large group. And finally, it would be nice if the hike crossed some public roads, so that cars can meet us to restock if needs be, take care of medical needs, etc.

The only potential hike I've found so far is Mt. Rogers -- https://www.hikingupward.com/JNF/MtR...ysonHighlands/

I know it's a tough ask, but any other good suggestions?

That is an awfully large group. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a long-distance trail that cold support a group size of 30 people at a campsite. Have you considered breaking into smaller groups? You may find your selection of trails might improve if you break into 3 ten-person groups.

Images

The sheer size of your group makes me believe Shenandoah National Park might be your best bet. Also the road crossings criteria would be another reason to consider SNP.
    You can either stay on the AT for the duration of X number miles or use any number trails off the AT as a lollipop hike that returns you to your beginning destination. The first option requires a car be staged at a designated end point where as the second option doesn't.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

That's really too many people for one group. Would you consider two groups of 10-15 or three of 7-10 instead?
    Last edited by CalebJ; 10-24-2018 at 13:41.

Journal Entries

Too big of a group

Groups :
    create impact
    Monopolize space
    Disturb others
    Prevent seeing wildlife

Hiking is not really a good activity for large groups. Car camping is at extablished campgrounds.

Consider splitting into multiple small groups of 5-8 max.
    Hike opposite directions , swap keys in middle

Or camp at campground in shenandoah and take dayhike trips to points of interest. See more wildlife there anyway.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-24-2018 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Or camp at campground in shenandoah and take dayhike trips to points of interest. See more wildlife there anyway.
    This. Could even venture down to Crabtree Falls or 3 Ridges for the day

My daughter and I ran into a scout troop of 37 including the adults. They started at the back-packer's parking lot inside Grayson Highlands and spent the first night just past Wise Shelter (I think it is around 2.5 miles). There is a huge field there and we didn't even know they were around after they pasted our tent site. The second night they hiked up to the The Scales and camped inside the fenced area. Tons of day hiking from there and an easy day hike back down to their vehicles.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I very much applaud your committment to getting young people out hiking. This is an AT centered forum, although we do cover other trails and parks. ATC guidelines for group size is 10 people. Ten kids plus two adults is twelve exceeding that a little bit, but that's the typical limit for back country by many land managers, maybe fifteen. If you could break your group up into 2-3 groups that would be a good way to reduce pressure on the trails. Maybe opposite directions towards the middle, possibly having a larger group site for a combined night, like a front country campground. You'd be demonstrating to the kids better leave no trace practices.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Groups really should be limited to 10 or less total. That includes leaders. In some areas it's illegal to have a group larger then 10, the rest of the time it's just common curticy because your not going to be the only ones out there and many campsites are small areas. A smaller group is also much less trouble. It's easier to herd cats then trying to get a group of 20-30 teenages to cook breakfast, break camp and get moving before noon. Even getting a group of 10 ready in the morning is a challenge.

I don't know what the George Washington National forest has to offer for a trail network, but it would be worth checking out. This would be a lesser used area then the AT or National park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hopefully, you plan to split your group up into no more than 12 people together... (I realize that might be hard. My husband's scout troup would have up to 45 people going backpacking; however, he would never allow more than 10 kids in a group and demanded that adults step up - to get two adults for each group.) Otherwise, the group did not belong on backpacking trails... it belonged at the State Park Group Camping site.

Your kids will have an awesome time - even more, so, when they are in small groups. Please, note and teach Leave no trace principles!

Thanks!!!!

Could go Shenandoah and just use a couple of the park campgrounds. Lewis Mtn Campground and big meadows are only around 9 miles apart. Stores there to resupply to eliminate the need for resupply.
    A more adventurous/smaller group could also start earlier at the US 211/thornton gap and take a day or two to hike up to big meadows and meet the larger group. The others could basecamp big meadows and do various smaller hikes up there, eg: stony man area, mary's rock, etc.

You can just get a few sites right next to each other at those park campgrounds. Big meadows is big (as advertised) and you can ask to be somewhere not next to a bunch of people or near the main facilities

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    My daughter and I ran into a scout troop of 37 including the adults. They started at the back-packer's parking lot inside Grayson Highlands and spent the first night just past Wise Shelter (I think it is around 2.5 miles). There is a huge field there and we didn't even know they were around after they pasted our tent site. The second night they hiked up to the The Scales and camped inside the fenced area. Tons of day hiking from there and an easy day hike back down to their vehicles.
    That is nice to hear. Too often all I hear are the bad stories about scout groups.

I second the suggestion that your group use a developed campground as a base. Then you could send out separate smaller groups for either day hikes or overnight camping, keeping in mind the park back country camping rules (groups of 10 or less, an appropriate distance from trails, water, etc). There are a number of excellent circuit hikes of about 6-12 miles available (if interested you can find these on line, or there is an available out of print guide from the PATC).

Trout Run Valley is a 27 mile loop
    http://midatlantichikes.com/troutrunvalley.htm

Trout Pond rec area/campground is located on the western side of this trail.

I don’t know for sure but it looks like it might suit your needs. I’ve done a lot of hikes in that area and it might be possible to basecamp at the rec area then split into smaller groups and do the 2-3 day circumnavigation. Maybe half go clockwise and other half go counterclockwise. There’s a lot of smaller campsites along the way but none could hold everyone in your group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++