WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In porcupine areas, I hang trailrunners on foot end of hammock suspension and pack clipped on head head. Otherwise, store underneath hammock on Z Packs Rain Kilt if Ground is wet.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    I’m a little more basic. I just carry a big black garbage back and put the whole pack, shoes, etc in the bag and kinda tie the end up - since it sits under the hammock. I always seem to get splatter from heavy rain pouring off the tarp. This seems to keep everything in the bag dry. Pretty basic, but it works well.
    Yep. Large trash bag is what I use too.

Set up tarp (cause it's raining) then hammock/quilt(s), shoes and socks are wet already (remember - it's raining) so the shoes just go on ground under tarp on side of hammock I'll get in/out on, socks rung out then hung on structural ridge line or suspension under tarp, and pack which - is more or less empty - goes in trash bag under hammock, under tarp, on ground - slightly more towards the foot end than the center. If your whole pack is wet already though, then I don't know that it'd matter so much would it?

I've hung my pack from my suspension many a'time, but for me the trash bag is a better option.

u.w.

Yes to what gbolt said too, in heavy porcupine areas. They love and will seek out the salt/sweat. Mt. Wilcox south comes to mind. I was surprised by how many there were, how irritated they sounded, and how loud they were.

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    How do you keep your pack, boots, etc dry when hammock camping?Are there better means of doing this than sitting them on the ground beneath the hammock and hoping for the best?Seakayaker
    I will sometimes use my pack cover as a "basket" to put things in that I want to keep from losing or getting dirty. This would still be kept on the ground under the hammock/tarp.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I have thought about using two pieces of tyvek sewn to create a pouch that becomes a mat and also place my gear once I go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I was wondering if anybody would recommend a gear hammock. I have seen them advertised. Never seen one in use though.
    I upgraded my SLD gear hammock to their boot hammock which weighs half as much at just under 2 oz.However,the gear hammock would hold the entire pack just fine plus shoes,water bottle,etc.

I hang everything and anything that could remotely have an odor well away from my hammock and my day clothes go in an odor barrier bag in the pack;hung on the foot end of suspension.

Rain kilt doubles as a ground sheet.I put a piece of tape on one side so the same side always goes to ground.I put stick on grommet tabs on it so it could be staked down.

Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    I have thought about using two pieces of tyvek sewn to create a pouch that becomes a mat and also place my gear once I go to bed.
    They already have these at Home Depot. No DIY required. But if you have a decent sized single sheet, just push everything to the center and pull the perimeter edges up and over your gear and put some weight on top to keep it closed up.

Rain kilt doubles as a ground sheet.I put a piece of tape on one side so the same side always goes to ground.I put stick on grommet tabs on it so it could be staked down.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes do this as well. However, the draw string for the Kilt is towards the body; so I make sure that it faces up; thus, the outer Dyneema lays on the ground. This helps avoid the need for tape or a problem if it falls off. Also, ground dirt is washed off when worn for its actual Rain purpose.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

If you want a truly novel solution, check out the Sunset Saddle Bags.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2018/11/1...-for-hammocks/

Like many others have said, I use a small groundsheet and just set my pack and other items on that under the hammock/tarp. I took a piece of polycro and cut it down the size I wanted and that just comes with me whereever I go. As a bonus, I can use it as a "picnic blanket" during lunch or other stops if the ground is wet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++