WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Centennial Trail South Dakota

I have been looking at the centennial trail in South Dakota and I am trying to gather up more info for a possible thru hike next spring. If anyone in here have any experience and info I would really appreciate it. Looks like they are a couple of Nat Geo Maps that cover it, would these be sufficient or should I try to find better ones? A guidebook is available by Cheryl Whetham and Jukka Hutinieme. Reviews of the book are a little questionable but will probably be better than nothing. Looks like water may be an issue, tentatively planning on last half of May/first half of June but I have the ability to move the dates around. Any idea if this will help the water situation? I assume the weather at this time could be anything from 15 degrees and snow to 110 degrees and heatstroke. Does anyone know of any shuttle services for this area and resupply options along the way?

Shuttle service: Rabbit Bikes
    Water: in late May you will probably have no issues with the exception of Elk Cr. If it is dry (distinct possibility) you might have 20 mile dry section.
    The maps (and trail markers) should suffice to hike the entire trail. I met with the guidebook authors this last spring and discussed a couple of issues with the book. But, overall I liked it.
    I doubt that you will have 15d or 110d. I have been snowed on a couple of times but as a rule the weather isn't too cold or too hot.
    Resupply: I normally drop off a box at Whispering Pines CG. If looking at mid-may call to ensure they are open. You can also mail/drop a box in Nemo. Couple other options but one should suffice.

I have hiked 100+ miles of it on 8 or 9 occasions and a couple more times 70+. If you want more detailed info pm me.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

P.S. all but one hike have been started mid to late May with a couple of end dates being very early June.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thanks Lonehiker, much appreciated. Let me see what I can put together over the next few months before I start pm'ing you.

You can also check out my blog of the CT. I did the northern half in 2016 and the southern half in 2017. I didn't do the final 12 miles north of Elk Creek (although I had planned to) due to a dog with an injury. It's a great trail and I was lucky to have lonehiker going at the same time as me to make the logistics easier. I would highly recommend mid-late May as your window.

You can read both sections here:

CT North: https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...tennial-trail/

CT South: https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...-south-dakota/

Thanks DuneElliot. Looks like a great trip!

++ New Posts ++