Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-03-2015
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    13

    Default Mid November section hike from Spriner to Unicoi gap trail conditions.

    Looking for any information or advise on trail conditions, typical weather, temps, water sources, etc.
    I will be starting a section hike from Springer on the 10-11th of November. Plan on hiking to Unicoi, and then shuttling back to Springer.

    Cheers,

    B_C

  2. #2

    Default

    Trail should be fine, water shouldn't be an issue. I would watch the weather starting a week ahead to get a better idea. I use Weather Underground and look at the station above Suches, GA for that section of trail. It seems to be pretty accurate. Overall I wouldn't expect the weather to be terrible or super cold, but a storm could come through.

    As a note, a shuttle back to Springer is more expensive than to Amicalola Falls if you don't mind the extra hike. You can skip the stairs if you want to. I recommend Ron Brown for that area, great guy. He does prefer to shuttle you to start your trip, so park at Unicoi, shuttle to your start, and then walk to your car. It removes the time guessing game at the end.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-11-2015
    Location
    Blairsville ,GA
    Posts
    258

    Default

    The Guthook app is probably the best, most up-to-date source of information on water sources. Most of the non-seasonal sources are in decent shape, with a few exceptions.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-18-2010
    Location
    Sugar Mountain, NC
    Posts
    34
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    I got a shuttle from "Ron Brown" from Woody Gap back to the top of Amicalola Falls back in August. Ron advised me there was no water for a six mile section between Hawk Mountain and Justus Creek, and he was correct. This was August though, so maybe better now.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncwild View Post
    I got a shuttle from "Ron Brown" from Woody Gap back to the top of Amicalola Falls back in August. Ron advised me there was no water for a six mile section between Hawk Mountain and Justus Creek, and he was correct. This was August though, so maybe better now.
    A 6 miles section without water! OMG!

    I believe that is true year round, as there are no water sources along that stretch of trail. Except for a stream 0.4 miles north of Hawk and that hardly counts.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  6. #6

    Default

    Most years, November is my favorite time to hike the AT in Georgia and this year probably more so than ever as we've gotten a very late start on fall foliage and the water situation is fairly good. Hard to predict temperatures but it rarely gets crazy cold down there till after Christmas (although I did a Thanksgiving hike back in the '70's that brought 6" of snow and overnight temps in the teens down near Unicoi Gap). While you wont have the trail completely to yourself crowding shouldn't be an issue (a few sobos finishing up, etc...). Hope you have a great trip.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A 6 miles section without water! OMG!

    I believe that is true year round, as there are no water sources along that stretch of trail. Except for a stream 0.4 miles north of Hawk and that hardly counts.
    Haven't you heard? There's a new Starbucks Hiker Cafe at Horse Gap. Discounts to all who bring in their own cup.

  8. #8

    Default

    That 6 mile stretch is not a seasonal thing, there are simply no water sources along it. It is not that bad of a stretch. Sometimes you will find water jugs left at Cooper Gap, but you cannot count on it, especially after thru hiker season.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-03-2015
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Thanks to all for the insights. Soumodeler and NCwild, thank you for the shuttle rec, and water info. I will be hitting up Ron for the shuttle. Gonna carry an extra 2L through that area.

    Cheers,

    B_C

  10. #10
    Leonidas
    Join Date
    04-26-2016
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    That 6 mile stretch is not a seasonal thing, there are simply no water sources along it. It is not that bad of a stretch. Sometimes you will find water jugs left at Cooper Gap, but you cannot count on it, especially after thru hiker season.
    Ron usually puts those out, as mentioned, Ron is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy.
    AT: 471 mi

    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/user/tehJC13

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •