WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grayson Highlands - Massie Gap back to Damscus

Wife and I are doing a last minute hike from Massie Gap down to Damscus. We'd prefer to tent - who knows of good spots...

- Between Thomas Knob Shelter and Lost Mtn Shelter (night 1, not sure how far we'll get depending on shuttle timing)
    - Somewhere within 5-7 miles of Damascus (likely taking the Creeper Trail instead of AT)

Tips appreciated!

If you stay at Brier ridge(just south of Thomas knob at the blue blaze trail) you will not be disappointed. There is water there that can not be missed(have to walk over it to get to the camp site) and then you can take that trail on down to Elk Garden if you would like.
    IMG_6823.JPGIMG_9885.JPGIMG_9891.JPGIMG_9897.JPGIMG_6628.JPG

IMG_9896.JPG

Taking the Creeper is a great idea. As well, I believe there may be some tenting around the creeper but if not, I stayed at the saunders shelter before dropping down to the creeper. It has some real nice tenting spots at it.

Lone wolf may be able to enlighten on better night 2 tenting places as I get confused once the AT hits the creeper. Does the AT hit the creeper, then back on the AT to saunders shelter, and then BACK onto the creeper and back on the AT into Damascus. Or do you not see the Creeper until you are past the Saunders shelter?
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 10-18-2018 at 13:33.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

All those photos were taken in the summer. You maynot want to camp in such exposed areas this time of year.

The AT and Creeper trail co-inside for a little bit, then diverge at Creek Junction. Simply continue on the Creeker instead of climbing up onto the ridge. This junction is a few miles south of the Lost Mountain shelter. The Creeper doesn't come close to the Saunders shelter, which is up on the ridge above the creeper trail.

I seem to remember some campsites along the river on the Creeper, but those I think were pretty close to Damascus, although it will be easer to find a site along there then somewhere between Thomas Knob and Lost Mountain, where the options will be very limited.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Have you considered something a little different such as parking at Beartree Campground and starting your hike from 603 horse camp? That would let you get more of a highlands experience. You don't miss much between Beartree and Damascus

Can't help with camp sites but you will be hitting the fall foliage perfectly up high down to around 3000'.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

If you are looking for something between Thomas Knob Shelter and Lost Mtn Shelter - SOBO from Massie Gap, cross over VA600 @ Elk Garden. Go 2 more miles until you see an AT sign pointing back to Deep Gap, Mt Rogers and VA600. About 20' past the sign are several good protected camp sites and there is a water seep at the site with moving water. This is approx. half way between the 2 shelters. The hike to this spots is 80% open vistas.

If you keep going SOBO about 1/10 mile, you will cross the gravel road that goes to the top of White Top (Mud Creek Ln). Cross the road staying on the AT and 100yds ahead is an excellent water source. It is a 2" pipe that flows like a fire hydrant. The view from there is 2nd to none. It is exposed, but if there is no wind, this site would be spectacular!!

We were there today. The leave are beginning to change. The next week will be great!!
    Last edited by DownYonder; 10-19-2018 at 16:13.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........

Thank you all! We took Mr. Bumpy's advice and left our car at Beartree Gap and then shuttled up to Fox Creek so we could catch most of the Highlands. First day was beautiful, the second day was all wind fog and cold rain - making me grateful that I heeded Slo-go'en's warning about those beautiful exposed sites at Brier Ridge. Winds supposedly hit close to 50-60 mph up there, I guess that's why we're both sick now. Great trip though. DownYonder - right on! Fall colors are just about right at the higher elevations. Here's some pics:
    file3-1.jpegfile2-1.jpgfile4-1.jpegfile5-1.jpgfile1-1.jpeg

WOW!!! The wind woke wife and me up around 2 am and kept us up for several hours as the front pushed thru. Our house was vibrating!! I remembered that you said you were heading up there but I was hoping you didn't mean last weekend...LOL. Glad you made it back safely and had a great trip!!!

Fantastic hike for you, Wuff.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing

++ New Posts ++