WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

https://www.warmlite.com/

They use to be located in nh but sold to a family member that moved them out to Colorado. Yes prices went up but quality has staid the same and they are very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Winter gear evaluation for Presidential traverse

I got the same thing. It looks like crap but has worked well on frigid nights

So my liner is actually just their VB fuzzy fabric that I taped together to create a sack.

Let me go

Sounds good, glad to hear two recommendations for Stephenson's. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I got the same thing. It looks like crap but has worked well on frigid nights

So my liner is actually just their VB fuzzy fabric that I taped together to create a sack.

Yea you look wicked goofy but it’s really comfortable and does it’s job.

Do you find yourself using the vb suit during the day at all or just in the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Looks like the Frontpoint parka is a keeper.

Attachment 44105
    Edit - accidentally said 'Rock and Ice' parka the first time. It's not -that- burly.
    Yeah, the Rock and Ice parka has 20.5 ozs of goose down fill by weight. THAT'S A BUNCH!

It also looks like the Frontpoint jacket has been discontinued. It came with 13ozs of down fill---still beefy.

My FF parka is called the Icefall and is made out of eVent with about 15.3 ozs of down by weight. That too is alot. Unfortunately it's been discontinued too, and replaced by the Khumba parka with 13.3 oz of down---not quite enough if I had to do it over again.

Here's me in my FF Icefall parka atop 5,000 foot Whiggs Meadow on the BMT---

So, the sun was shinning this morning and it looked like it was clearing up, so I went and shoveled the driveway. Again. But it was only a couple of inches.

Then about 2:30PM, I noticed it was getting really dark, so I turned around and looked out the window - to see a white out! Couldn't see more then 10 feet. And the temperature started to drop. It had creeped up to 35, but it started to drop quickly when the snow scowl started. The white out lasted for about an hour and the temperature dropped 15 degrees. Although not as intense as it first was, it's still snowing.

Anyway, this goes to show how quick the weather can change around here from not so bad to life threating in a matter of minutes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Do you find yourself using the vb suit during the day at all or just in the bag?
    Only In the bag. I tried hiking in it once when I first got it and by morning my quilts were soaked shoes were an ice block by morning. It was an epic fail and I learned. In a Situation that was life threatening I think it would help warm a person up faster then not. Maybe you could hike in it if you weren’t planning on moving or exerting energy. I haven’t had the desire or time to try it out again hiking in it.

I can say though, sleeping In a bivy with this suit on vs not, there is about 75% less condensation and your bag gets no moisture in it. If you breath into you bag or bivy it will get damp but if you can vent properly the suit keeps all moisture out of your down.

And I’m giving you those condensation comparisons from when I was using the outdoor research helium bivy which is 2.5 layer pertex. So you put that set up into an event bivy and the only condensation is on the bathtub and minimal.

It's supposed to be teens at best tomorrow. Woo-hoo!

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm pretty sure glaciers in New England won't be slowing their retreat.
    Next time I’ll include LAT & LONG of the glaciers I had in mind.
    The forecast for record low high temperatures on Thanksgiving Day in the Northeast is interesting.
    Happy Thanksgiving Y’all!
    Wayne

6 Am Thanksgiving day on top of Mt Washington, -20 F air temp, - 65 F wind chill. 77 MPH wind speed gusting to 84 MPH.

I think Dirty Harry in Magnum Force had the right observation for hiking on day like today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Today, is not the day.

Only dropped to -3 at my house, now a balmy 4 Time to bundle up and shovel the driveway again and hope my car starts so I can go to Thanksgiving dinner...

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    6 Am Thanksgiving day on top of Mt Washington, -20 F air temp, - 65 F wind chill. 77 MPH wind speed gusting to 84 MPH.

I think Dirty Harry in Magnum Force had the right observation for hiking on day like today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0
    Followed by:
    “you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?”
    Happy Thanksgiving Y’all!
    Be warm. Be safe.
    Wayne

Default Winter gear evaluation for Presidential traverse

I got lucky.

Let me go

Gorgeous!!!
    Wayne

Yep, looks like winter. Fair number of cars at the Valley Way parking lot this afternoon. I imagine the trail is well packed now. More snow on it's way for early in the week, but will be on the slushy side again. I stopped going out hiking over T-day weekend as it seems to always rain on the way out Sunday, and it looks like it will this year too.

I think I'll still wait a bit before venturing out into the woods.

Yea we were up on Madison today. For good weather the wind was howling on the summit. Couldn’t stand up. Glad winter is here. There were 5 people with snowshoes which includes us and 7 bare booting it. Those damn college kids don’t care.

So far, the weather for next week looks just about perfect. Heading out on Wednesday and I'll be doing three days of avalanche and two days of mountaineering skills from Friday through Tuesday. If all goes well, we'll starting heading south on Valley Way next Wednesday morning.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++