WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yeah - moisture management will be a particular concern for me. I sweat a ton in general, so I usually have to force myself to hike as cold as possible and layer up on stops. May play some VB options as well to keep it out of the insulation layers.

I had good luck using the thin produce bags found in the grocery store for VBL's for my feet when we did Katahdin in Februray one year. The long ski in to Chimney Pond would have left me with soaked thru inner-boots otherwise. Carried a few pair as they ony lasted a single day but they were almost undetecable because they are so thin.

A good sunscreen is also clutch in the winter above treeline. I like Dermatone myself.

One thing to consider is that you'll want to lock in what you want to take and book rental stuff well in advance if you have a group (eg: sleeping bags, etc). Have ran into issues (not in the whites) with finding places that actually have what we want on short notice
    If you're not used to carrying tons of winter gear, make sure everyone plans for all the bulk. A 5-6 lb synthetic sleeping bag (which is what most outfitters would have for -20 or -30) eats up a good amount of space

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    If you're not used to carrying tons of winter gear, make sure everyone plans for all the bulk. A 5-6 lb synthetic sleeping bag (which is what most outfitters would have for -20 or -30) eats up a good amount of space
    You mean like this one? Man, that bag is like 30 years old and hasn't been out of the stuff sack in 20. I bet it doesn't fluff as well as it used too. Weighs 5 pounds, 10 ounces. Can't believe I used to lug that thing up the side of a mountain! Along with another 30 pounds of stuff.

SAM_4395.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    A good sunscreen is also clutch in the winter above treeline. I like Dermatone myself.
    Under the chin, and the bottom of the nose. And inside the nose.

Just a quick follow up to this...
    Definitely won't be using the Makalu's. I ended up buying (all used) the Olympus Mons boots as well as a pair of Scarpa Inverno's and Asolo AFS Expeditions. Any of them should be warm enough for the trip, I just need to decide for sure which fit me the best and sell the others.

Also grabbed a TNF Ventrix (similar to Nano Air) active layer and a few outer parkas to choose from (Mammut Ambler and Feathered Friends Frontpoint).

On the sleeping bag front, I'm leaning towards using the Snowbunting and carrying my Summerlite as an overquilt. If the weather looks like it's going to be significantly colder than I can push with that, I'll still rent.

I found a set of MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes and BD Sabretooth crampons. Also replacing my Whisperlite with a Dragonfly since the price was right. Thankfully all of this gear has been used or very reasonably priced, so I can sell whatever I don't need and keep total cost pretty reasonable.

It was 12 degrees this morning when I woke up. Wind chill on Washington was -50. Tonight it's going below zero. Oh yeah, we got more snow yesterday and even more coming tomorrow. Yesterdays storm was quite slushy here in the valley and set up like concreate with the deep freeze. A
    nd it's not even Thanksgiving yet. Feels more like February. This winter could end up being a really cold one.

This might get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Just a quick follow up to this...
    Definitely won't be using the Makalu's. I ended up buying (all used) the Olympus Mons boots as well as a pair of Scarpa Inverno's and Asolo AFS Expeditions. Any of them should be warm enough for the trip, I just need to decide for sure which fit me the best and sell the others.

Also grabbed a TNF Ventrix (similar to Nano Air) active layer and a few outer parkas to choose from (Mammut Ambler and Feathered Friends Frontpoint).

On the sleeping bag front, I'm leaning towards using the Snowbunting and carrying my Summerlite as an overquilt. If the weather looks like it's going to be significantly colder than I can push with that, I'll still rent.

I found a set of MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes and BD Sabretooth crampons. Also replacing my Whisperlite with a Dragonfly since the price was right. Thankfully all of this gear has been used or very reasonably priced, so I can sell whatever I don't need and keep total cost pretty reasonable.
    If I may ask, where are you acquiring all this excellent uses gear?

All over the place. Here, Facebook marketplace, Mountain Project, and Gear Trade primarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    it's not even Thanksgiving yet. Feels more like February. This winter could end up being a really cold one.
    Here in the Southeast we'll probably get several so-called Polar Vortexes---or whatever they call them. Back in January 1985 the mountains of TN and NC got hit with the Arctic Outbreak---with temps in Boone NC at -30F and Knoxville got -20F. I remember it well since I was living outside at the time and had to backpack into Boone and sleep in a Baptist church under the pews for a couple nights.

I was out today and it was full winter conditions. I was just doing a low elevation hike. Started out about 4 degrees above zero and at best made it to 20 F. We wore microspikes most of the day and carried snowshoes and got real close to using them. I had to use toe warmers and some point had to switch over to double mittens. Its supposed to warm up a bit this weekend but the forecast it currently 8 to 10 inches of snow tonight.

At least todays snow is powder and is starting to pile up. Anyone coming up here to peak bag this weekend better bring snowshoes. Haven't seen this much snow, this early in the season in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    At least todays snow is powder and is starting to pile up. Anyone coming up here to peak bag this weekend better bring snowshoes. Haven't seen this much snow, this early in the season in a long time.
    Maybe the glaciers will slow down their retreat.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Maybe the glaciers will slow down their retreat.
    Wayne
    I'm pretty sure glaciers in New England won't be slowing their retreat.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Looks like the Frontpoint parka is a keeper.

1542760695-picsay.jpg
    Edit - accidentally said 'Rock and Ice' parka the first time. It's not -that- burly.
    Last edited by CalebJ; 11-21-2018 at 13:37.

FYI, Early Dragonfly's had a plastic pump body that has a weak spot. The pump plunger is held in by two locking tabs and the tabs would break off. The stove was still usable but a major PITA to pump. They came out with newer model pump that was beefed up in this area. Just inspect these tabs carefully for cracks if you have the old style. Great stoves for winter expect to the noise. About the loudest darn stove every built.

Agreed re the noise. About fifteen years ago I had an XGK that disappeared in a move. I remember that stove being fairly loud, but not like this. It's an absolute blowtorch.

As to the pump - I'm pretty confident this is the new design?

20181110_140718.jpg

I’d rather have a heavy bag and to much gear and not make my mark 10 times then risk getting caught with to little and not coming home. I went plastic boots last year and it’s one of the best things I did.

Also I use a vbl suit not bag liner. I don’t even bring extra cloths anymore. I carry the suit and after camp is set up I am dry. Now I strip down and put the vbl suit on and put my base layer over it. Then my soft shell pants and coat then down pants and coat. This way I can have all my cloths on inside my bag and get warmth from everything. Also keeps my cloths and bag dry. Any down inside vbl liner or suit will soak out.

Bread bags on your feet under your socks is the way to go Too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get the VB suit? I've been planning to experiment with making one, but if there's an inexpensive option I'm interested. Most of the things I found were $50+ each for a shirt and pants. Would much rather go that route for all the reasons you stated versus the liner.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++