WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water @ Little Paint Creek Trail intersection?

Would like to camp here and wondering if there is a good water source where the AT intersects Little Paint Creek Trail? GutHook says there is a good camp sight and one individual commented on a water source but no details.

This is between Hot Springs and Jones Meadow.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I remember this climb up out of Allen Gap sobo. I camped right before the climb up to the shelter at a dry site right on the ridge trail left. I got my water for the night there at the MM 288.7

The shelter has a source, and half way up the first climb sobo has a source (the one I used -MM288.7).
    I don't know which was your gunna go.

My campsite looked as follows FWIW:

IMG_9092.JPGIMG_9095.jpgIMG_9093.JPGIMG_9094.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

We will be SOBO. Sounds like the water Guthook shows at 1902.2 half way up the climb and the site is 1903.6. Someone says there is a sign to water "down the hill". They must mean the same source. Thanks.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    We will be SOBO. Sounds like the water Guthook shows at 1902.2 half way up the climb and the site is 1903.6. Someone says there is a sign to water "down the hill". They must mean the same source. Thanks.
    The water source you and I both are speaking of is right on the trail, unless it is running low and then perhaps it is a bit off trail.

Just a heads up that the water at Allen Gap was very poor when I went thru in March. Paper thin shallow and mucky
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++