WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AT group hike

Default AT group hike

70yr old looking for 5-6 60yr old and older to thru-hike AT beginning about Mar 15, 2019. We will hike part of each day together, camp together and go to town together. All for one, one for all attitude. At our age I think loneliness is a great deterrent to completion of a thru-hike.

March 15th is one of the most popular dates to start a hike. 50-60 people typically show up, so there will be plenty of hikers to form a group with. Actually, you might want to pick a date a few days one side or the other of the 15th to help mitigate the over crowding. The last thing you will be is lonely. Cold and wet is more likely
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I’m 66 yrs old and I don’t do well in the cold and snow anymore. Change to a flip flop and start in May around Grayson Highlands and I might try it.

Journal Entries

Age....literally means nothing on a trail .

Dont be so hung up on surrounding yourself with old folks.
    The ideal hiking companion is one who walks same speed and likes same stuff.

I guarantee it will be someone you didnt expect. A 20 yr old kid, a chinese girl, ...you just never know.

Thats a fun part of hiking . Meeting and hiking with people . Getting to know them...really well, in a short time. Moving on, running into them later , etc.

As bad idea as it is to tie oneself to partners from outset, i i would think thats worse with age. Someones more likely to have to drop.

Ive hiked with people both 30 yr younger, and 30 yr older at times . Enjoyed all. Most recently a guy younger than me. We planning to go hike in South america next yr. Whod a thunk?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-10-2018 at 22:08.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Age....literally means nothing on a trail .

Dont be so hung up on surrounding yourself with old folks.
    The ideal hiking companion is one who walks same speed and likes same stuff.

I guarantee it will be someone you didnt expect. A 20 yr old kid, a chinese girl, ...you just never know.

Thats a fun part of hiking . Meeting and hiking with people . Getting to know them...really well, in a short time. Moving on, running into them later , etc.

As bad idea as it is to tie oneself to partners from outset, i i would think thats worse with age. Someones more likely to have to drop.

Ive hiked with people both 30 yr younger, and 30 yr older at times . Enjoyed all. Most recently a guy younger than me. We planning to go hike in South america next yr. Whod a thunk?
    Very true. My (then) 21 yr old daughter loved hiking with “older” men.

thanks for replying, leaving in May is a possibility but why a flip flop?

A flip flop appeals to me because more than likely you wouldn’t have bitter cold and snow to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by 120 View Post
    thanks for replying, leaving in May is a possibility but why a flip flop?
    May is a little late to be starting at Springer. You might avoid the snow and cold and most of the crowds, but it will quickly become very, very hot and humid. I do poorly in those conditions, as do many older people. Heat stroke is a serious concern.

OTOH, starting at Harpers Ferry in May puts you ahead of the crowds and in more favorable weather (cooler) for hiking through PA/NJ/NY. The trail is a little easier too, but the rocks in PA can take a toll.

The down side is if you flip back to HF, you'd most likely be doing it in July and your back into the furnace. Although you can take a break for a month or so, regain some weight and strength and go finish up when it starts to get cooler down south again.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default OK. I am in.

Quote Originally Posted by 120 View Post
    70yr old looking for 5-6 60yr old and older to thru-hike AT beginning about Mar 15, 2019. We will hike part of each day together, camp together and go to town together. All for one, one for all attitude. At our age I think loneliness is a great deterrent to completion of a thru-hike.
    love to join you and keep waiting for more WB responses. Still have my doubts about my ability to do this and probably want to commit to 5 or 6 weeks to start. Will turn 73 soon but love hiking. Interested in starting with someone not planning on a thru hike?

to Grey]- Thanks for the offer to section hike the AT with me but my plans are changing. NOW TO ANYONE ELSE who looks at this thread after 1-28-2019 I have decided to withdraw this offer due to a lack of interest in the idea as presented. Thanks to everyone who responded. 120 over and out.
    Last edited by 120; 01-29-2019 at 07:12.

++ New Posts ++