WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Tent recommendations for Alaska?

I started using a hammock in 2006 and never looked back. Now I’m going to be spending the next three months in Alaska for work but will have plenty of time for backpacking, ice fishing, etc. I need to pick up a 4 season tent so I hoped some of you would chime in. Prefer to stay under 6-7 lbs if possible. It’s just me so I’m looking for a two person tent. Right now I’m leaning towards the Black Diamond Eldorado. Any recs?

Where in Alaska are you planning to hike? It's a big state, and, for the next few months, mostly dark. Unless you are at high elevation, or in the actic tundra, you may not need a "four season" tent.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I think Tipi Walter is the guy to ask about that kind of tent but, I'm not sure your weight target is realistic. If you're going out by yourself, I think you want something absolutely bombproof.

If interested, I have a MH Trango 2 that I'm considering selling.....I no longer winter backpack. It is bulletproof. Weight is around 7.5 lbs. PM me if you have any interest.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Yes, it really depends on where you'll be. The North Slope is a completely different world than the Southeast. I think a good first step would be to take a look at the average temps and sunrise, sunset.

In most of the state there is almost no backpacking done in October through February.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I think Tipi Walter is the guy to ask about that kind of tent but, I'm not sure your weight target is realistic. If you're going out by yourself, I think you want something absolutely bombproof.
    There are plenty of 5-lb two man bombproof tents out there, like the OP's Eldorado thought. I've used this tent at 17,000 feet in Alaska myself, Twice (two separate trips) though of course, it was in the "summer".... (but got to -25F a couple of times).... I assume the current Black Diamond version of the Eldo is essentially the same as the Bibler version (which I own).

The Eldo is a decent choice, but if you do use it, get the vestibule, as that makes the tent much more usable in the kind of weather you're talking about. (in the pic, the Eldorado is the yellow tent)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems to me that the tent is just the tip of the iceberg. I can think of a half dozen items of gear that the average Backpacker doesn’t have.
    Also, why did you rule out Hilleberg and several other 4 season tent makers?
    Good luck and have fun!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Seems to me that the tent is just the tip of the iceberg. I can think of a half dozen items of gear that the average Backpacker doesn’t have.
    Also, why did you rule out Hilleberg and several other 4 season tent makers?
    Good luck and have fun!
    Wayne
    I didn't see the op rule out Hilleberg tents, not sure why you said that. I might have suggested them myself having used a couple over the years, but since Tipi uses one regularly, I figured he would eventually chime in.

Well the only tent mentioned was the Black Diamond. I’ve known about that tent since forever. I picked a different 4 season one person tent instead. Alas the company got swallowed up by a conglomerate and disappeared.
    I was just curious. Is that okay?
    My other concern stands: The total pile of gear needed to travel and spend time outside in Alaska in winter.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Well the only tent mentioned was the Black Diamond. I’ve known about that tent since forever. I picked a different 4 season one person tent instead. Alas the company got swallowed up by a conglomerate and disappeared.
    I was just curious. Is that okay?
    My other concern stands: The total pile of gear needed to travel and spend time outside in Alaska in winter.
    Wayne
    Agree, and I also personally think a Hilliberg would be a better choice, however, for pure simplicity, less cost and less weight, that "bibler" Eldorado is a nice choice. Hoping Tipi will chime in here on Hillibergs. I've only used one twice, both borrowed, on deep-winter outings, a Namajj and a Keron, IIRC.

More details on location would definitely help..
    At that time of year, depending on what you want to be doing, you may want to revisit your entire approach (I am only assuming you haven't fully thought it out because you didn't give a location when asking for recommendations, but I may be wrong). If that were me and I wanted to get out there to fish, hike, etc, at that time of year, I would likely find some good places to hike with a sled (eg: pulk) so I don't have to worry about counting grams and gearing up for brutal temps. Could even hot tent it!

Images

Just wanted to followup. Actually went with the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV2 Expedition after talking to a couple of colleagues. One has this tent and does pretty much the same type of work/travel I do and he praised it. It will be mainly short weekend trips around Anchorage with several longer stints out around Lake Clark. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Good luck and have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by volleypc View Post
    Just wanted to followup. Actually went with the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV2 Expedition after talking to a couple of colleagues. One has this tent and does pretty much the same type of work/travel I do and he praised it. It will be mainly short weekend trips around Anchorage with several longer stints out around Lake Clark. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Temps/precip are similar around there to where I hike in the winter. That tent will work well. I just use a standard 3 season tent on shorter trips or longer ones without excessive snow. If your sleeping bag and other gear is adequate, you don't necessarily need to cart that around. But if you're a hammocker and the one tent will be all you've got, it will serve all the purposes

++ New Posts ++