WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MYT's In Bulk

Default MYT's In Bulk

I found this and thought it would be good for Winter hiking. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...pack?a=2183075 Anyone
    tried this for hiking? Is buying in bulk (MRE's) a good way go?

Journal Entries

Generally not, they are heavy due them being truly 'ready to eat', meaning with all needed water. You can do much better with a selection of food which adding water is required. Hiking needs are not the same as military needs, optimize for the mission at hand, which is hiking

I will second what Starchild shared. Unless you are a 20 yo Infantryman, and used to humping an 80lbs rucksack all day, stay away from MRE type foods. You are better off weight wise with dehydrated/freeze dried foods. A little research here on WB, on YT, or a general Internet search will turn up a lot of grocery store options for relatively inexpensive prices. Budget permitting, you have some of the standard fare, Mountain house, Alpine Aire, etc. You could also check out some of the smaller cottage type establishments, Packit gourmet, Hawk vittels(sp), etc. with the latter, shipping can be pretty steep, unless you are ordering enough for free shipping. Link up with one or more buddies for smaller orders, then split the shipping. Hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

B_C

Get yourself a vacuum sealer, oxygen absorbers, bag material and some #10 tin cans of dehydrated veggies and meat. Now start breaking down the #10 tin cans into 1 cup portions throwing an oxygen absorber in each bag. Thats is about as light and cheap as you can get.

A pack of Ramen, a foil pouch of tuna or chicken or some cut up beef jerky, and some dehydrated veggies. Put it in a quart freezer bag and add boiling water in camp. Costs a couple bucks per meal and is super light.

For a short trip, leaving cooking gear behind can balance the weight of the MREs. My son does that. In winter, however, I doubt the chemical heaters will do much for frozen lumps of icy food.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 10-18-2018 at 10:57.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    A pack of Ramen, a foil pouch of tuna or chicken or some cut up beef jerky, and some dehydrated veggies. Put it in a quart freezer bag and add boiling water in camp. Costs a couple bucks per meal and is super light.
    That's only about 500 calories, and you're throwing out at least 2 plastic bags every time.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    you're throwing out at least 2 plastic bags every time.
    How big is his carbon footprint if he stays home and doesn't go backpacking? more than two small thin plastic bags worth!!!

Do MRE's even taste good?

Images

"MYT's"? What's that?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    "MYT's"? What's that?

"meals you trash"

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    "MYT's"? What's that?
    glad to know I'm not the only one with that question.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    How big is his carbon footprint if he stays home and doesn't go backpacking? more than two small thin plastic bags worth!!!
    Do MRE's even taste good?
    So it's OK to throw out plastic, because it's less than he would have thrown out otherwise?

So it's OK to throw out plastic, because it's less than he would have thrown out otherwise?
    Throwing out less is always better.

Do MRE"s even taste good?

THey are definitely require an acquired taste. In Alaska folks recommend throwing some cans of dog food in the trunk. In theory if they are starving they can eat the dog food but normally wouldnt do so. I know of some folks that have the same opinion about MREs. The First Strike Response (FSRs) are a lot rarer but most of the food is far more palatable. A lot of it is off the shelf junk food just in more robust packaging although there are some specialties like caffeinated chocolate pudding and caffeinated bubble gum.

That's only about 500 calories, and you're throwing out at least 2 plastic bags every time.
    Sometimes, some of you all crack me up. You don't mind driving 100 miles to a trailhead, and then shuttle another 100 miles, burning all that gas and making all that carbon, then lecture me because I used one extra ziplock. Not to mention my zip lock and the ramen bag together are probably less plastic than a Mountain House bag. At home Im hyper sensitive about recycling, probably three or four times more recycle than waste that I just throw away. So I think that one ziplock wont ruin my carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    Sometimes, some of you all crack me up...
    I'm glad you find it amusing. What's worse, "driving 100 miles to a trailhead", or "driving 100 miles to a trailhead" and wasting some plastic bags ?

I'm glad you find it amusing. What's worse, "driving 100 miles to a trailhead", or "driving 100 miles to a trailhead" and wasting some plastic bags ?
    sorry but you missed my point. What's worse is being high and mighty about my zip lock usage, when you hypocritically burn fuel for your own pleasure. You make your carbon and I'll make mine.

Sorry for the misspelling of MRE's. Would buying Mountain House (Or some other brand) in bulk be a better way to go?

I don't care for Mountain House, yet my son is a big fan. Try a couple first, then see about buying in bulk. Costco often has good deals on them by the big boxful.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I found this and thought it would be good for Winter hiking. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...pack?a=2183075

MAYBE, if I already had some MRE's purchased as a Prepper or backwoods hunting/fishing camp participant that were nearing expiration I MIGHT for short winter trips or sprinkled in to supplement other foods with higher fiber contents....? Other than that scenario I can't think of why I would utilize MRE's. I would never purchase $7.50 apiece MRE entrees(non member dinner costs alone for total daily food costs) for a 3 day or longer winter trip. Different mission really as Starchild said. Prepackaged highly processed extremely high sodium and often excessive protein content(for winter backpacking) with each MRE typically 1200 cals + based on military regimen and in the field combat military life of 3 squares/day defines MRE's. IMO better to nosh consistently with a good number of daily cals coming from snacks and ditching the three set meal, as maybe at home, or on a military mission dietary approach. Too many cals at one meal while still backpacking after results in sluggishness and riding an energy roller coaster.

MTR also is applicable.- 'meals to trash.' Tons of packaging waste. Not going to get into sustainable or carbon foot print BS but all that packaging also adds to waste and packaging wt.

Anyone tried this for hiking?

Yes. It's by far by far not optimal consumable wt, nutritionally, bulk, waste, or TASTE wise! IMHO that's too long and significant a list of inconveniences for what some view as convenient food.

Is buying in bulk (MRE's) a good way go?

Not in my book. I'm a very picky Organic Foodie and none of my meals which I make 85-90% up myself approach $7.50/each. That's ludicrous from a financial perspective for a longer hike for one meal IMHO even if my food was to be partly sponsored. Most are under $4 with an avg price lower than $4. On winter treks a dinner with even higher fat content which I tend to eat at the conclusion of the hiking day/night when I might treat myself by spending a bit more still are under $4.50. These are budget, cal, wt, and bulk stats I used to carefully track. If I wasn't so darn picky I could get that down below $3 a "dinner." I'm sure others can do it if they took some other poster's advice too.

I'll also second Feral Bills' post that during winter the chemical heating might not dissolve and truly heat icy chunks of food. I've found this with the supposed 'self heating' MRE's and one different Cabela's bought emergency ration brands...during east coast and mid west fall weather.

BUT, if you tell someone accustomed to MRE chow from the military of these aspects they aren't always(rarely IMHO) likely to accept them if they've been, as Big Country says, an indoctrinated, "this is the way to go, this is the way to do it 20 yr infantryman.

FWIW, MRE's and some other Prepper/Outdoors man/people foods are meant for different seasons and different regions. You might choose better options based on figuring this in and how you personally approach trips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++