WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2018 Flip-Flop complete

I finished my Flip-Flop starting/ending in Harpers Ferry, I would like to say thanks to the WB members who reached out when I had questions concerning the trail,
    1) info on the Long Trail, I completed the LT with my Flip
    2) LaurieP with the ATC and her weather updates relating to the trail and and bridge closure in HF
    3) info on the C&O. With much of the C&O closed after the storm I passed on it and took Amtrak to DC. I made it to HF just in time to catch the train.

So as it stands now 2010 AT thru, 2013 PCT thru, 2015 CDT thru, 2018 AT Flip-Flop.

I was considering a Florida Trail hike this winter, I wanted to hike the Panhandle west to east post Thanksgiving then flip to the south and hike north, but with the storm damage in the Panhandle I may pass. I read the trail is closed due to damage, and I really don’t want to start at the southern terminus. Maybe I will hike the Pinhoti or BMT this winter, so many other trails to hike too.

Images

Well done! You're a hiking machine. Can't remember if I commented on my LT thru hike, perhaps I did.

Have you considered the Ozark Highlands or Ouachita trails (Arkansas) to fill in the gap before your winter plans?

Journal Entries
    Images

congrats on a successful flop!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Congratulations!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Well done! You're a hiking machine. Can't remember if I commented on my LT thru hike, perhaps I did.

Have you considered the Ozark Highlands or Ouachita trails (Arkansas) to fill in the gap before your winter plans?
    I've heard of both trails, no research on either.

I want to work on my house up until T-giving, I bought it earlier this spring before I started hiking. It's in need of interior cosmetic work, mostly painting, refinishing the floors and replacing the floor trim, floor guys will be here tomorrow to start sanding. I can do both the painting and trim which will will keep me busy for awhile. The electrical and plumbing work was completed before I left.

My hike dates are not in stone, post T-giving or even after the first of the year. So I have time to look into both of the trail you suggested, thanks.

can you compare/contrast your thruhike experience going one way (N or S, not sure how you did it in '10) vs. the flip flop? If I ever do it again (btw, I went NOBO in '10), a flip flop seems appealing.

Good job sir!

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    can you compare/contrast your thruhike experience going one way (N or S, not sure how you did it in '10) vs. the flip flop? If I ever do it again (btw, I went NOBO in '10), a flip flop seems appealing.
    2010- NOBO

2018- I started in Harpers Ferry hiked SOBO to Springer, flipped to ME, hiked the Knifes Edge to the summit on Katahdin. SOBO to Crawford Notch where my buddy met me, we hiked other trails in the Whites for a few days before I got back on the AT at Crawford Notch. I continued SOBO to Sherburne Pass, again met my buddy, shuttled to the border and hiked the Long Trail south to Sherburne where he got off and I continued on the Harpers Ferry.

I enjoyed the flip far more than I did my thru, I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy my thru, I did. Overall I had milder weather on my flip. At times I did meet groups of NOBO’s, by the time I started meeting them the herd had thinned out and I wasn’t around them other than passing and at 2-3 camps. Not being among the masses day after day pleased me and I enjoyed having more solitude. The flip also gave me more flexibility with not having to finish before Katahdin closed.

Harpers Ferry was a great place to start and finish with easy access by Amtrak to/from Wash. DC. After I finished I spent four days in DC touring that was something I wanted to do on my thru but didn’t always knowing I had to get to Katahdin before it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    2010- NOBO

2018- I started in Harpers Ferry hiked SOBO to Springer, flipped to ME, hiked the Knifes Edge to the summit on Katahdin. SOBO to Crawford Notch where my buddy met me, we hiked other trails in the Whites for a few days before I got back on the AT at Crawford Notch. I continued SOBO to Sherburne Pass, again met my buddy, shuttled to the border and hiked the Long Trail south to Sherburne where he got off and I continued on the Harpers Ferry.

I enjoyed the flip far more than I did my thru, I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy my thru, I did. Overall I had milder weather on my flip. At times I did meet groups of NOBO’s, by the time I started meeting them the herd had thinned out and I wasn’t around them other than passing and at 2-3 camps. Not being among the masses day after day pleased me and I enjoyed having more solitude. The flip also gave me more flexibility with not having to finish before Katahdin closed.

Harpers Ferry was a great place to start and finish with easy access by Amtrak to/from Wash. DC. After I finished I spent four days in DC touring that was something I wanted to do on my thru but didn’t always knowing I had to get to Katahdin before it closed.
    Thanks for the reply. The more I think about it, a flip sounds like the way to go. Only issue against this type of hike imo is the increased logistics issues that one doesn't have on a SOBO or NOBO hike. Especially true for those of us who live near or reasonably near Springer or Mt. K.

Quik, Congratulations on completing your flip flop thru-hike!!!!!

Very cool (especially from the perspective of ATC and those of us who live in Harpers Ferry) that you both started and finished in Harpers Ferry. Interesting that you enjoyed it more than your nobo thru-hike.

By the way, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy considers a flip flop a type of thru-hike.

Would you share the dates of all the major points along the hike, for the benefits of those following this thread?

Also, can you address the solitude aspect? ATC doesn't as actively promote this variation, especially for solo hikers, because we've heard from some (especially first-time long-distance hikers) that it can be lonely on the first half southbound. (I even heard this from a guy who had sailed solo around the world). You do cross paths with a lot of nobos, but opportunities to actually hike with others is limited because so many are going the other way. I wonder if this is less a factor for the more experienced, confident hiker than the novice.

I wish I had been there when you finished in Harpers Ferry to help you celebrate!

Lauriep- I will see what I can put together and post it in this thread. I didn't keep notes during this hike, no idea why maybe because I had already hiked the trail once. But I will post what I can as close to dates and locations as I can in a few days.

++ New Posts ++