WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trip Report: Backpacking the Uinta Highline Trail, July 2018

PrologueI left Casper and covered 100 miles before camping for the night north of Rawlins, avoiding all the major thunderstorms that threatened the area. I covered the last 200 miles the following day and met up with Shan, my “shuttle” at the turn off for the Red Cloud Loop north of Vernal, UT. He arrived earlier than expected; I was just finishing lunch and nowhere near ready. I hate feeling rushed, even if I’m not actually being rushed…I always forget something. We switched vehicles and gave each other a run down of the ins and outs of the each other’s vehicle. Shan was heading up to the Hacking Lake/ Leidy Peak TH and would be hiking west from there. I was driving his car to the west end and leaving it at the Highline Trail trailhead on SH150, and would be hiking east. It was a good plan.I headed south, through Vernal and Duschene and got nailed by some torrential rain. The Lexus hybrid was definitely different to drive. I met up with a friend for dinner in Heber City, another final farewell (there seem to be a lot of those lately), before covering the last 50 miles to the trailhead. I had planned on covering a few miles but it was cold and still threatening to storm so I pulled out my pad and quilt and spent a very uncomfortable night in the car.Day 1: Highline Trail Trailhead to Rock Creek

Monday dawned clear and blue and I quickly packed up, made final use of real privies and hit the trail by 9am. For a long time there was very little to write home about as the trail stayed mostly in the trees, passing turn-offs to lakes and basins either high or low. We passed several other groups coming the other way, including some solo hikers and others with loose dogs (and only two out of five kept control of their animals…it gets old, especially without even an attempt or a care, and barely an apology).

As we took a break after an hour of hiking we were passed by a very large, very noisy group of day hikers…there must have been twenty of them. They were all polite though and I ran into a couple of them a few miles further up as they were resting…they were astounded that I was planning to be in the wilderness solo for seven days with the dogs and insisted on taking our picture…they were very sweet and I obliged.

Part 1 continues here:
    https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...y-2018-part-1/

Part 2:
    https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...y-2018-part-2/

Part 3:
    https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...y-2018-part-3/

Journal Entries

Great report. In my younger days I took a course there with the National Outdoor Leadership School. They bused us from Lander, WY to that area in June 1976. We spent 30 days, much of it off trail, taking various courses. We were resupplied by horseback and spent the last four days split into 3-5 person groups without food, which they called "survival", having to make a predetermined route and rendezvous to our final destination. Some of the crazy stuff we did: doing a roped up "self arrest" course with an ice ax, on a steep snow bank, a Tyrolean Traverse across a deep gorge, and multi tiered rappels. It was quite an adventure, and I always remember how pristine and beautiful that area was. The pack weights were ridiculous compared to today !! Thanks for the report. Brings back memories...

Well done trip, and excellent reporting!

Uinta Highline has been on my radar for a while and I'd better do it soon 'cause I ain't getting any younger. I've done Kings Peak a couple of times with friends as an out-n-back via Henry's Fork and often think about the gorgeous country and especially the night sky. I'd agree with your suggestion to do it early September, but even then gotta really be careful with weather because snow is not out of the question!

Nice trip report. Not sure which is worse. Looking over your shoulder as the storms build or watching them build as you hike into them.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Nice trip report. Not sure which is worse. Looking over your shoulder as the storms build or watching them build as you hike into them.
    Ha ha, yeah, I don't know either.

++ New Posts ++