WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post 2018 Fall Foliage Schedule

I just came back from Shenandoah NP and it's almost as green as summer up there. My records indicate the the teen weekend of October is typically the peak time for fall foliage along Skyline Drive (and the AT).

Here is a 2018 fall foliage map and it's totally wrong: https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

I'd like to head down to Erwin next weekend. How's it looking down there?

I've always wondered what specifically controls why some years have better color than others. I had read that lots of summer rain contributes to better color. Now we know warm temps in September really do have an effect. Hopefully everything just won't brown out and fall off.

Thought I'd start a thread to handle this issue.....
    Be Prepared

It maybe awhile. It takes a good hard frost to really bring out the colors. Hours of daylight trigger the change, but temperature and moisture are factors in how brilliant the colors are.

The foliage is a little past peak here in Northern NH, but there are still a lot of leaves on the trees. There was still a lot of color farther down state this weekend and it looked like maybe 30% of the trees still hadn't changed. The season is definitely getting later into the fall by at least 2-3 weeks then what used to be typical.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Agreed, it's way behind here in the valleys of far western NC. Got a hike planned for the last weekend this month in north Georgia. Hope it's peak then.

Another of those years where the winds came at the same time as the cold. A lot of brightly colored leaves on the ground around here.

I'm 7 miles from GHSP at 3000' elevation. No change here. At 4000' there are a couple of trees just beginning to change color. I think the map is no less than 1 week off for our area. Although, they are prediction temps in the low 30s Wednesday night.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I thru hiked the LHHT last weekend (SW PA), there were very few patches of color. I'd say over 90% was still green.

u.w.

Southern NH is looking pretty colorful as I write this from a fire tower.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

There's actually a lot of color left up here in the Mt Washington region. It's mostly yellow and oranges left. But I have a young maple at the end of my driveway which hasn't changed yet and trees near it which have lost all their leaves. Very strange.

SAM_4383.JPG

Headed to finish PA next week, most still looks green thru there from the webcams on Wunderground. Temps look like 30-50's next week with low rain amounts.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I just came back from Shenandoah NP and it's almost as green as summer up there. My records indicate the the teen weekend of October is typically the peak time for fall foliage along Skyline Drive (and the AT).
    Here is a 2018 fall foliage map and it's totally wrong: https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

I'd like to head down to Erwin next weekend. How's it looking down there?
    I've always wondered what specifically controls why some years have better color than others. I had read that lots of summer rain contributes to better color. Now we know warm temps in September really do have an effect. Hopefully everything just won't brown out and fall off.
    Thought I'd start a thread to handle this issue.....
    I was in SNP this past weekend as well, only saw a few dozen trees that are starting to turn. I would guess with the cooler temps through next weekend, and the shortening days, the change has to be starting in the next week or so. Hopefully it sticks around for a bit, but I feel like we are in for a short Fall anyway here in VA/DC

Just got back from a day at SNP at 4000 ft and it’s on the fringes of change.A few maples have some ice color but still looking at 90% green everywhere else.. Not sure how the “peak” will play out but with the forecast this week the weekend hopefully will start to show much more change.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

What a difference a day or two will make - when those days are windy and rainy. We're well past peak now in the Gorham area and by the end of the week could be mostly bare trees. Color should be showing up quickly in the next week farther south. It was pretty good near Hanover this weekend. Getting the timing just right for peak color and ideal weather is a moving target. Rafe and I missed the target with the weather this weekend down there.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Agreed, it's way behind here in the valleys of far western NC. Got a hike planned for the last weekend this month in north Georgia. Hope it's peak then.
    Yup, from many sources. So much so I've delayed a MST EABO for 2 wks already and not expecting to start at Clingman's until the end of the third wk of Oct or possibly 4 th wk. This kills my shot a the Sauratown Tr segment as it's closed between Nov and Jan for hunting adding yet another 30+ miles of paved road walk...UGH.

Temps haven't been consistently cool enough.

Journal Entries

Every yr can be different
    Thars some websites that monitor it

IMG_20181016_135542836[1].jpg

Smarts Mountain, Lyme NH (west central) Some color, the more exposed trees are largely bare. It did open up some bonus views on the way up at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Headed to finish PA next week, most still looks green thru there from the webcams on Wunderground. Temps look like 30-50's next week with low rain amounts.
    We got the possibility of a good frost coming up on Thursday night, so you might get to see some beginnings of shade changes. I just did the west rim trail a week ago and several soft woods were dropping leaves and the rest of the forest was still very green. And the most mushrooms I've ever seen.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Damascus was still completely green this past weekend
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Elk Garden (between Mt Rogers and White Top Mtn) is about 25% turning....mostly yellows. Forecast calls for 34 tonight. Colors should be really nice this weekend and next week.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I live at roughly 1,700 feet near Deep Creek in the Smokies and there is virtually nothing in the way of fall color yet. Strangest fall ive seen in long while
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++