WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Now I see the Sunday-Tuesday limit... just do the northern half of the MSG Trail from Washington Center to Mt. Sunapee. That's the best part anyhow! More open ridge, and we didn't find ticks on that section.
    This seems like a very nice option, especially with it being so close to MA. Pillsbury State Park might even be a great place to camp.

At the moment, Memorial day is the target. However, seeing as my new client may not have such stringent schedules, I may even consider an early Autumn trip next year.

Kinda sounds like you need a basecamp and plan several day hikes from there. I’m not sure but it doesn’t sound like either you or your buddy are in shape? Decades since you’ve hiked the whites and your pal doesn’t camp? Maybe an overnight but you may be a wee jibble ambitious here. Just a thought from a random guy on the internet

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Kinda sounds like you need a basecamp and plan several day hikes from there. I’m not sure but it doesn’t sound like either you or your buddy are in shape? Decades since you’ve hiked the whites and your pal doesn’t camp? Maybe an overnight but you may be a wee jibble ambitious here. Just a thought from a random guy on the internet
    Go big or go home.

My injury recovery is the biggest concern. I work harder with bigger goals. Scaling back at the deadline is never out of the question.

Before my injury five years ago, I was jogging nearly every day. At one point, I was even learning lap swimming for ninety minutes a day as well as learning weight training six hours a week. Having had unsatisfactory results with the medical profession, I've spent the last 3.5 years learning and practicing massage and yoga. I did well enough to endure last year's solo 7,000 mile road trip in 17 days as well as an excruciating 9 mile backpacking trip in the Whites. Only five nights were spent on a bed. The drive itself was relatively relaxing.

Let's not get into skill building and certification studies for work. I will probably die young from lack of sleep, but I'd rather stay busy living than stay busy dying.

We'll need a base camp to park my vehicle with road trip supplies from Texas. We don't plan on packing the miles due our physical conditions; so, we'll reevaluate our limits when the day arrives.

OK man have fun

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    This seems like a very nice option, especially with it being so close to MA. Pillsbury State Park might even be a great place to camp.

At the moment, Memorial day is the target. However, seeing as my new client may not have such stringent schedules, I may even consider an early Autumn trip next year.
    BTW, there are two shelters in that stretch: Max Israel and Steve Galpin. Washington to Max Israel is about 6 miles -you could add a couple by starting a little bit down Faxon Hill Road and going over Oak Hill. That would work up an appetite for lunch at the store. From Max I. to Steve G. is only 5 miles - you could relax, hit some side trails, or bring beer! Steve G. to Sunapee is 7.5 miles, plus roughly 2 miles out. Not a bad little trip if you're trying to test the old body. Great trip if the weather is right.

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    OK man have fun
    Thanks. I can hardly wait.

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    BTW, there are two shelters in that stretch: Max Israel and Steve Galpin. Washington to Max Israel is about 6 miles -you could add a couple by starting a little bit down Faxon Hill Road and going over Oak Hill. That would work up an appetite for lunch at the store. From Max I. to Steve G. is only 5 miles - you could relax, hit some side trails, or bring beer! Steve G. to Sunapee is 7.5 miles, plus roughly 2 miles out. Not a bad little trip if you're trying to test the old body. Great trip if the weather is right.
    Wow. This sounds perfect. I have other priorities at the moment, but will later subscribe to trail map apps to research everything that you've mentioned.

Things are changing at work which may allow me to travel later in the year for a different experience from last year's Memorial day.

Any ideas on when I should travel and still make it to Maine for seafood?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++