WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default So, figuring out a shell. Now for the down, what do you suggest?

I was watching a video of the Rab zero g on youtube and the gent on the video suggested that although it was a great jacket, not a good idea to use it as an everyday jacket around town shopping etc because the thin outer fabric could tear. Another reviewer said the same, that the pertex 7d face fabric could rip easily if it catches onto things. What would you suggest as a jacket that I could use around town and on a hike that would hold up to rough use, something that I don’t need to be too careful when wearing. I do need it to be light and compressible though. Basically something with a high FP down rating but a thick face fabric. Anything out there like that?

It's hard to believe that people make jackets with a 7 denier shell. Tissue paper.

What you need to figure out is how much down fill in ounces you want in your jacket, then go from there. A full blown winter down parka has about 15 ounces of high quality down. Most so-called "puffy" jackets are woefully underfilled---in fact many companies refuse to list their jackets fill weight in ounces because it's absurdly low.

I'd start with a thorough look at everything Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends has to offer.

No!

There's ultralight that is ultra-compressible and somewhat delicate, there is medium light and medium compressible that is medium durable and there is durable that is heavier and less compressible. Take your pick. Then live with the compromises you choose, either light and delicate, heavy and durable, or two garments more ideally tuned to each of your different needs, but more expense and more storage space.

Of course, if you want stylish as well, then you'd better decide weather your want trail style or town style . . . the insanity keeps going when one tries to buy the one thing that does it all well.

I once had a tool that was designed to be a hammer, pliers and screwdriver all in one. It sucked at all its tasks.

To belabor the point, even when someone discovers the ultimate ultralight and ultra tough material (nylon during WWII would be a good example) it doesn't allow a one size fits all ultimate garment because you can now take that material, make it even thinner and lighter until it is barely tough enough to do the job (pertex?) and save even more weight, so you're back to the same thing of choosing lighter weight or tougher.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I used my Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer hoody on a through hike last year with no issues. I continue to use it for backpacking trips as well as for daily wear around town during cool weather. After a year and a half of use it still looks brand new. It's very light and compressible, while still being quite warm for an ultralight jacket. That being said, I do try to be cognizant of the fact that it's fairly thin material and I don't do stupid things like wear it while bushwhacking or bouldering.

Lets Talk Down Jackets

I have enjoyed Outdoor Research garments for many years now. Best Customer Service in the biz too
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's hard to believe that people make jackets with a 7 denier shell. Tissue paper.
    What you need to figure out is how much down fill in ounces you want in your jacket, then go from there. A full blown winter down parka has about 15 ounces of high quality down. Most so-called "puffy" jackets are woefully underfilled---in fact many companies refuse to list their jackets fill weight in ounces because it's absurdly low.
    I'd start with a thorough look at everything Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends has to offer.
    The thin shell doesn't bother me if we're talking about something to throw on around camp, but if you're planning on using it on the move that obviously changes dramatically.

You don't happen to know what shell WM uses on the Summerlite, do you? That's pretty thin, but I've gotten a lot of years out of mine and it's only now starting to show any real wear at all (and it's very minor after ten years). The WM page doesn't specify it other than to say 12d or finer for the Extremelite series.

Do yourself a favor and take a look at the RAB XENON. I have it and I have the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. Done many comparisons IMHO the XENON is warmer, more durable, water resistant (down dies in water) more wind resistant and more comfortable.

https://www.backcountry.com/rab-xeno...ed-jacket-mens

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Do yourself a favor and take a look at the RAB XENON. I have it and I have the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. Done many comparisons IMHO the XENON is warmer, more durable, water resistant (down dies in water) more wind resistant and more comfortable.

I really like the Pertex Quantum. Seems very breathable and less stuffy then other fabrics while still having wind resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Xenon looks nice. Just curious, have you weighed it? Online I'm seeing the weight listed as 14oz. My medium MHW GW weighs 7.9oz on my scale. The extra ounces may be worth it for the Xenon, but the extra weight is just something to take into account.

Weighed mine (mens L) comes in around 12 ounces...

Here's a link to good in-depth review and comparison
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...xenon-x-hoodie

Usually The trail at least the AT can be cold, windy and wet, the Xenon X would be one of the better choices

HERE'S A QUOTE FROM THE REVIEW..... "The Rab Xenon X Hoodie earned high scores across all our test metrics except breathability, and easily outpaced the competition in the overall score. Our Editors' Choice winner is the most versatile lightly insulated jacket we tested, performing well as a mid-layer and blowing away the competition for weather resistance as an outer layer. We are also surprised how light it is considering that it has comfort features like microfleece chin patches, which just so happen to be absent on similarly comparable (in weight) models"
    Last edited by wordstew; 12-07-2018 at 16:07.

Weighed mine (mens L) comes in around 12 ounces...

Here's a link to good in-depth review and comparison
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...xenon-x-hoodie

Usually The trail at least the AT can be cold, windy and wet, the Xenon X would be one of the better choices

HERE'S A QUOTE FROM THE REVIEW..... "The Rab Xenon X Hoodie earned high scores across all our test metrics except breathability, and easily outpaced the competition in the overall score. Our Editors' Choice winner is the most versatile lightly insulated jacket we tested, performing well as a mid-layer and blowing away the competition for weather resistance as an outer layer. We are also surprised how light it is considering that it has comfort features like microfleece chin patches, which just so happen to be absent on similarly comparable (in weight) models"
    Nice! Thanks for the link. I just saw that Amazon has the large sizes on sale for $176 right now.

Want a 650-700 fp down jacket beater for on trail and for an OK stylish enough street vibe check out Uniqlo and Gerry Down Jackets for $30-60 U.S.
    https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ultra-l...own-collection Uniqlo might need to explore widening their male model line representation.
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...mcrncdwnjckapo Here sold at Dicks for a bit more @ $70. TIP: buy at Costco for 25-about 40% less.

Want a brand name try the Marmot Azos also at Costco. The 32 degree label also found in down jackets at Costco for well under $100 but are IMHO less stylish but functional. I'm not 100% certain of all the shell fabrics of these four but I know three are 20 D fabrics.

At Sams Club there's the 650 fp down Eddie Bauer Microlight 650 fp down jacket for $30.
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/eb-dow...rod21390875.ip

At an Eddie Bauer Outlet was surprised to note a $90 Mens XL Microtherm 2 800 fp Storm Down(water repellent(hydrophobic) down) Jacket with a 1 oz 20d fabric in XL. It was bought for a relative. It's stylish for around town wear, not that fragile, compressible and didn't break the bank. Personally, I think the thinner baffle(down chambers) jackets are not only more stylish but more compressible, lower profile, and less bulky appearing.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTMP57P...e-078bc5138e41

The 650-750 fp down jacket market is saturated with strong competition. If you don't require utmost performance across a wider range of features and bigger name mainstream brands there's no reason why you can't find lots of options at $120 and lower. Want a little higher FP with probably marginal improvement in metrics at 750 to MAYBE 850 FP there are plenty of those around at about $150. It depends more specifically on your cascade of priorities.

For a decently featured synthetic, probably better performing for wetter or more humid east coast AT type environments, at a good price of about $100-150, maybe discontinued or previous yrs versions at bit lower cost, the Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket makes a good around town and on trail beater for me. I bought a previous yrs version for $80 at REI. A Nano Puff Vest current yrs version when I bought cost me $90 also at REI. Plenty of synthetic jackets with your expectations in the $100-$200 range. If OK with lesser expectations a synthetic jacket can be had at under $100.

As Tepee notes, a puffy that's really not puffy is rather silly. I'd add Montbel to the list of brands to consider. There are others.

For a shell, I have used a Marmot Trail Wind that weighs about 4.5 ounces for over two years, at home and in the field. Patched one small tear early on. No further problems. Again, there are other choices that might suit you better.

I travel fairy light, but don't care to sacrifice reasonable usability to save a few ounces.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++