WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pizza

Default Pizza

I am addicted to Pizza. There, I've said it! I have to have Pizza about once a week or more. When i get to a trail town the first thing I think of is...Pizza! Who make the best Pizza along the trail?

Smokey Mountain Bakery - Roan Mountain, TN. Close the thread...discussion over!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

I don't know it it is the best, but had a great pizza in Unionville, NY in my 2015 flip flop attempt.

Man, I thought you were going to tell us how to do a killer trail pizza As to the best pizza, its mine of course, its only a 65 mile hike off the AT to get some

Does anyone remember "The Pizza Over"that was out o few back? Made great Pizza but it gobbed the fuel to bake it.

Images

Lui Lui ( https://www.luilui.com/#menu/pizza ) in West Lebanon, NH. Take free local bus [only runs on weekdays] ( https://advancetransit.com ) which is right on the trail / Main St in Hanover, NH. EMS and LL Bean are in the same shopping plaza, Shaws(grocer) and Kmart short walk. Better than trying to resupply in Hanover itself as well IMO.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-11-2018 at 18:27.

Images

Campfire pizza is pretty amazing.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

A problem easily solved with a 1/2 oz wood stove or if your Tipi Walter and have no pack weight limit, use this:

https://www.backpackeroven.com/
    It requires a stand alone gas burner(not cannister mounted)

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Does anyone remember "The Pizza Over"that was out o few back? Made great Pizza but it gobbed the fuel to bake it.

There is wood fired Pizza Place in Gorham NH that make a fine thin crust.

There used to be a backcountry oven which made a great backcountry pizza and great muffins.

The AYCE pizza place in Erwin, TN was fairly average, even with hiker hunger, but... all you can eat, and free shuttle from Uncle Johnny's.

Hanover, NH has C&A pizza, which is a decent Greek crust pizza, right by the trail, and Ramunto's which is a decent NY style crust, a block off the trail.

I'll second Mountain Fire in Gorham, but it's 4 miles from the trail.

Most of my trail pizza was that horrible frozen hostel pizza, which I suppose is better than no pizza at all when you're hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Most of my trail pizza was that horrible frozen hostel pizza, which I suppose is better than no pizza at all when you're hungry.
    If they have a proper electric pizza oven the frozen stuff isn't too bad. All in all, I'm not much of a pizza fan. I want a big, juicy burger. The AYCE pizza places are a real disappointment.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Best pizza on trail is the one you can get on trail. My first thru hiker pizza was a gas station breakfast pizza in Suchas GA on morning 2. Better then the best NYC pizza I could get at that time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Campfire pizza is pretty amazing.

5 June this year, mile 658.2, bridge over Stony Creek, VA 635. A young couple was making campfire pizza for hikers. She was making up the dough and he was cooking it in a big cast iron pan. They also had water, soda and beer, fruit, etc.

It was completely unexpected and greatly appreciated.

As I remember, to this engineer, the bridge there was pretty cool too.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Annabelles in Unionville, NY was really tasty and in a great location across from the free camping in the park.

When I was growing up in MD in the 1960s, we often went to Ledo Pizza. Now it is a franchise chain and I see the have locations in Front Royal VA and Charlestown WV. Not exactly on the trail but close enough for Google and Uber. Ledo is awesome!

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

leave a resupply town with tortillas, tomato ~paste~ (the best!), mozzarella, and some helium weight dried italian herbs. three nights of pizza in your tent. hellz yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Man, I thought you were going to tell us how to do a killer trail pizza As to the best pizza, its mine of course, its only a 65 mile hike off the AT to get some
    Unfortunately Annapolis Rock is actually not very close to Annapolis, MD.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Unfortunately Annapolis Rock is actually not very close to Annapolis, MD.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Annabelles in Unionville, NY was really tasty and in a great location across from the free camping in the park.
    The pizza was great there, bus please note the free camping has lights for the locals to play basketball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++