Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Pizza

  1. #21

    Default

    Last week on NPR, there was a story about the U.S. military finally releasing an MRE version of pizza. The reviews from the soldiers in the test group were generally positive. I'm sure the weight and volume of pizza MRE aren't exactly backpacker friendly.

  2. #22
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    67
    Posts
    296

    Default

    I exaggerated, its only 55 miles by road 40 miles as the crow flies. Annapolis is 2 hrs or less from about 150 miles of the AT below the official half way point and is nearly due east of Harpers.

    Anyone who hikes from the AT to me will definitely get the all the pizza they want, any way they want it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Unfortunately Annapolis Rock is actually not very close to Annapolis, MD.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-06-2008
    Location
    Andrews, NC
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,609

    Default

    Believe it or not, the pizza served at the NOC is very good!

  4. #24

    Default

    Pizza is typically my go to along the trail, its simple, hard to screw up and there is a lot of it.
    There was a little pizza shop in Boiling Springs, PA that was real good - kinda greasy though.
    Village pizza in Pawling, NY was alright.
    Bennington pizza in ...Bennington, VT was okay

    But please....No one claim to have the best pizza until you go to Scratch Pizza in Johnson City, TN. (Roan Mountain surroundings). I just cant describe how tasty and amazing this pizza is. Hopefully this picture will do it justice.

    Now, having said that- Mrs Gambit makes an amazing grilled pizza at home that simple yet amazing. Buy the bread dough at the grocery store from the bakery for $1 roll it out and just toss it on the grill. Once the dough cooks and releases from the grill grate its time to come off. Put back on your cornmeal dusted baking sheet cooked side up, add your toppings and back on the grill for a few more minutes. rectangle in shape, heat on low.
    IMG_6315.JPGIMG_5225.JPGIMG_3447.JPGIMG_3446.JPG

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    But please....No one claim to have the best pizza until you go to Scratch Pizza in Johnson City, TN. (Roan Mountain surroundings). I just cant describe how tasty and amazing this pizza is. Hopefully this picture will do it justice.
    Is it better than Smokey Mountain Bakery in Roan Mountain? If it is, my wife and I will make the 75 minute drive to get some!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

  6. #26
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    67
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Curse you Gambit McCrea, Sunday is our official pizza day in our household...how in hell am I going to wait 2 whole days after you post pizza porn like that? I will give credit where due- that is some seriously gnarly garbage can pizza. Is it from Scratch Pizza and if so how much do those monsters cost? WiLL THEY SHIP? lol

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    leave a resupply town with tortillas, tomato ~paste~ (the best!), mozzarella, and some helium weight dried italian herbs. three nights of pizza in your tent. hellz yeah!
    Backpackers try their best to make trail foods that satisfy their palate and cravings---We all go nuts for big cheese omelettes and PIZZA. But really, fixing a great pizza out in the woods is nearly impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Curse you Gambit McCrea, Sunday is our official pizza day in our household...how in hell am I going to wait 2 whole days after you post pizza porn like that? I will give credit where due- that is some seriously gnarly garbage can pizza. Is it from Scratch Pizza and if so how much do those monsters cost? WiLL THEY SHIP? lol
    Wow. Before I read your post I wrote this:

    Gambit McCrea---Your pizza pics are full frontal pornography and should be banned. God help anyone looking at them on a smartphone while out backpacking.

  8. #28

    Default

    I watched the Elisabeth Kwak-Hefferan vid and Yes she's a genius and can make a pizza in a fry pan. Maybe I need to start carrying Bisquick?? Or something else for the flour base? Cuz I quit eating hydrogenated oil about 30 years ago (bisquick ingredient).

  9. #29
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    67
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Tipi, I can see the headline now:

    Hiker found dead of dehydration caused by uncontrollable drooling from viewing internet pizza pictures.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Tipi, I can see the headline now:

    Hiker found dead of dehydration caused by uncontrollable drooling from viewing internet pizza pictures.
    I actually smelled them just by looking at the pictures. Am I spiritually gifted or is this a curse??

  11. #31

    Default

    All of those tasty pies came from Scratch Pizza. I have had pizza in California, Chicago, New York, Italy and France to name some of the "known for pizza" locations. (Not so much France?? )
    Anyways: Scratch is by far my favorite. All house made meats. It is BYOB or old school glass bottle sodas. The employees will (with humor) yell at you that your not doing your job if there isn't music playing on the old record player (They have a huge record collection). And when your pizza is ready they call your name on the intercom like you are on a game show, long a drawn out followed by a big "COME ON DOOOOOWN!!!!!"

    The ordering process is pretty neat, you pickup a order ticket which has all the ingredients listed and categorized. You circle what ya want on your pizza and turn it in OR you circle full trust at the top turn it in and they make a pizza of their choice for you.

    The Pies claim to be 16" but I'm thinkin more on average of 22" and they typically run me about $22 total.

    My pizza order always looks like this:

    scratch order.png

  12. #32
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    67
    Posts
    296

    Default

    About 15 miles off the AT?...just figuring how much pizza + shuttle might be

  13. #33
    Registered User SoaknWet's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-14-2017
    Location
    Washington,Pa
    Age
    69
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I HATE YOU GAMBIT, now I have to get up, get dressed and walk to town. I HATE you!

  14. #34

    Default

    Hate is pretty strong word to use. LOL. Does anyone del. Pizza on the trail? Man, these post has my mouth watering.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Is it better than Smokey Mountain Bakery in Roan Mountain? If it is, my wife and I will make the 75 minute drive to get some!!
    I second that Scratch Pizza is delicious.

  16. #36

    Default

    Here is News flash. The local grocery store will deliver Box Pizza to your door, ANYTIME OF DAY OR NIGHT!!! YUM!!Eat your heart out folks!

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Here is News flash. The local grocery store will deliver Box Pizza to your door, ANYTIME OF DAY OR NIGHT!!! YUM!!Eat your heart out folks!
    What if it's your tent door and you're halfway up the Nutbuster trail??

  18. #38
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,685
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    All of those tasty pies came from Scratch Pizza. I have had pizza in California, Chicago, New York, Italy and France to name some of the "known for pizza" locations. (Not so much France?? )
    Anyways: Scratch is by far my favorite. All house made meats. It is BYOB or old school glass bottle sodas. The employees will (with humor) yell at you that your not doing your job if there isn't music playing on the old record player (They have a huge record collection). And when your pizza is ready they call your name on the intercom like you are on a game show, long a drawn out followed by a big "COME ON DOOOOOWN!!!!!"

    The ordering process is pretty neat, you pickup a order ticket which has all the ingredients listed and categorized. You circle what ya want on your pizza and turn it in OR you circle full trust at the top turn it in and they make a pizza of their choice for you.

    The Pies claim to be 16" but I'm thinkin more on average of 22" and they typically run me about $22 total.

    My pizza order always looks like this:

    scratch order.png
    Why is peperone listed in the meat section?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •