WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Art Loeb Trail

Default Art Loeb Trail

For those of you who have hiked it, would you recommend I hike it south to north (Davidson campground to Daniel Boone), or vice versa? And if you feel like it, why?
    -tagg

Images

I hiked it (in two sections). I don't think it really matters. Personal preference. Or flip a coin.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I hiked it from Camp Daniel Boone, but there was a place near Cedar Mountain where the trail markers were confusing. That has been a few years ago, so it may not be a problem now.

Images

I hiked to the Boy Scout camp. In winter. Damn it was cold.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

I hiked it in winter as well. Started at scout camp and headed to Davidson Campground. I will definitely hike this trail again and will go the same direction. HOWEVER! I have to say that the first 12 miles of the trail take the prize for the best part of this trail. The mountain peaks are treeless and the views are about as good as they get in the south. Looking glass mountain can be seen along this trail and there is no mistaking it, looking like a open faced rock. I have thought of parking at Black Balsam Road and hiking toward the scout camp, camping at the base of cold mountain and then heading back to the car the next day. Doing this would allow you to walk the best part twice while skipping the typical "green tunnel" trail that the other 18 miles or so offers. The shuttle for this trip is a little pricey but it is a long, mountainous drive and takes about 3 hours total for a shuttle driver. The water had a very funky taste thru out the trip and I would for sure bring some drink mix the next time. This is a tough trail!

Gambit's Trip Report of the Art Loeb Trail
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 10-11-2018 at 09:51.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I suggest starting at Davidson campground. You have a more gradual climb at the beginning and save the best scenery for last. Then you have a nice long downhill to the Boy Scout camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    I suggest starting at Davidson campground. You have a more gradual climb at the beginning and save the best scenery for last. Then you have a nice long downhill to the Boy Scout camp.
    All true things, I do however recall parking being very limited at the scout camp, but I only remember the actual trailhead, not surrounding options. What a cool attraction for the scout camp to have the terminus of the ALT right in camp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Totally get your logic here, but I would offer the reasoning that ending at Davidson Campground means you're closer to Oskar Blues brewpub!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Totally get your logic here, but I would offer the reasoning that ending at Davidson Campground means you're closer to Oskar Blues brewpub!
    Or even closer to Ecusta Brewing ... depending upon your preferences
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Or even closer to Ecusta Brewing ... depending upon your preferences
    And the closest beer on tap is The Hub Right at the entrance to Pisgah! One of my best friends lives in Brevard
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++