WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 20 Day Quest for Wildcat Creek

Where the heck is Wildcat Creek? It's on the Warrior's Passage trail in the Cherokee NF in Tennessee. The goal of the trip was to spend all of it in the Bald River and Upper Bald wilderness area---and generally this was my route---

P1000294-XL.jpg
    Topo map showing my general route.

All trip pics can be seen here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...Wildcat-Creek/

20 DAY QUEST
    FOR
    WILDCAT CREEK

TRIP 190
    April 27--May 16, 2018

HIGHLIGHTS
    **20 DAYS TO SKULL MOUNTAIN
    **A PACIFIST ON WARRIOR'S PASSAGE
    **52 CREEK CROSSINGS
    **3 BACKPACKERS FROM KNOX-A-BAMA ON BALD RIVER
    **95% OF KIRKLAND CREEK TRAIL CLEARED
    **BMT THRUHIKER TIM AKA BARNACLE
    **FIRST NIGHT EVER ON ROUND TOP MT
    **MYSTERIOUS BMT NIGHTHIKER
    **ON THE GOAT ANUS AND COW RECTUM TRAILS--409 & 408
    **PASSING OVER SKULL MOUNTAIN
    **BMT BACKPACKERS MONARCH AND FOOD BANK NEAR SIX MILE GAP
    **AMBULANCE CAMP IN TATE GAP
    **11 BACKPACKERS ON BMT FROM A OHIO SUMMER CAMP
    **5 DAYS ON WARRIOR'S PASSAGE
    **2 NIGHTS ON WILDCAT CREEK

TRAILS
    Entrance at Bald River Falls
    Bald River Trail
    **Rock Ledge Camp**
    Bald River Trail
    **Big Pine Camp**
    Bald River Trail
    Holly Flats Roadwalk
    Kirkland Creek Trail
    **Kirk 3 Camp**
    Kirkland Trail
    **Kirk Crossing 12 Cove Camp**
    Kirkland Creek Trail Up
    Sandy Gap
    BMT/State Line Ridge
    **Hazel Cove Camp**
    BMT/State Line Ridge
    **Round Top Mt**
    BMT/State Line Ridge over Rocky Top
    Brookshire Creek Trail Down
    **Iron Ring Camp**
    Brookshire Creek Down
    **Tony Camp**
    Sugar Mt Up
    **Sugar 409 Camp**
    Goat Anus Logging Cut Trail 409
    Cow Rectum Logging Cut Trail 408
    **Skull Gap**
    Skull Mountain (Henderson Top Trail)
    Cow Camp Trail
    Bald River Trail
    **Rock Ledge**
    Bald River Trail
    Holly Flats Roadwalk
    Kirkland Creek
    **Kirk 3 Camp**
    Kirkland Creek Up
    Sandy Gap
    BMT South Up
    **Six Mile Cove Camp**
    BMT South
    **Tate Gap Ambulance Camp**
    BMT Backtrack North
    **Six Mile Gap**
    Waucheesi Mt Manway
    Warrior's Passage Down
    **Bear Creek Camp**
    Warrior's Passage Down
    **Tobe Creek**
    Warrior's Passage
    **Wildcat Creek**(2)
    Warrior's Passage Out
    Old Furnace Roadwalk to Beach Restaurant and OUT

My trip begins on Tellico River as I get dropped off by Baby Falls, above. A short tottering hike with my 100 lb pack gets me to the trailhead into the Bald River Gorge wilderness. I'll be staying on the Bald or the Upper Bald or its tributaries for the next 20 days.

THE USUAL ACCOUTREMENTS OF IDIOCY---Herein begins the near futile quest to hump a ginormous 100 lb packed load into the Bald River backcountry. 20 days worth of food and fuel weighs about 50 lbs . . . and then you add in the 5 books and radio and apples . . .but my McHale pack handles the weight well.

As I backpacked the 6 miles thru the Bald River wilderness I run into these 3 backpacksackers at the Cascades waterfall and they are from Knoxville and Alabama. Or is it Obknoxville???

I eventually cross Bald River and start up the Kirkland Creek trail with its 11 crossings. This is my fave crossing, #9, and always a good place to rest.

As I pull the two tough nut climbs out of Kirkland valley I find this dead copperhead on the ground and place it up on this log for a better pic. It was apparently trammeled by wild pigs.

Kirkland Creek climbs to Sandy Gap and my first day on the BMT running along State Line Ridge where I meet Tim aka Barnacle thruhiking the trail from Georgia to the Smokies. He told me he also thruhiked the AT a couple years ago.

I stay on State Line Ridge (BMT) and always wanted to set up camp on Round Top Mt and so here I am---as it has a water spring just .1 of a mile north. The worst part of my trip was camping in the sun in a forest of leafless trees and NO SHADE. Too early in the season for leaves.

State Line Ridge ends in Sled Runner Gap and then I reach this trailpost and the long drop on the Brookshire Creek trail.

DON'T TRY THIS IN YOUR TRAIL RUNNERS. As I descend Brookshire Creek there are 3 crossings which I manage to wade in my gtx boots and never get my all important socks wet.

At the bottom of the Brookshire trail I set up camp and have to wash my salty t-shirt---a fabulous North Face Reaxion in yellow.

After crossing the final Brookshire crossing it's time to climb Sugar Mt and so I slap on the headnet as the bugs are bad.

Once on top of Sugar Mt and I camp and then take two old logging cut roads (409 and 408) to Skull Gap and notice a side trail sign for Panther Creek laying in the dirt so I put it up and tied a yellow ribbon around it for future hikers. If you head down this trail you hit the steepest trail in the whole area. Short but very steep.

Old logging cut 408 gets me to Skull Gap where I camp and then start up the Henderson Top (Skull Mt) trail which ends here at the Cow Camp trail jct and the side door back into Bald River wilderness. I return to Bald River and duplicate my route from Days 1-4---Up Bald River and up Kirkland to Sandy Gap.

After several days in the heat and bugs it's nice to return to Rock Ledge Camp on Bald River and the same place I was on Day 1. The river sound is loud here and blocks for the most part the hateful overhead jet traffic noise common in the skies of the Southeast.

The goal now is to reach Waucheesi Mt and the Warrior's Passage trail but first I must pass thru Bald River wilderness and repeat my climb up Kirkland Creek. This is Kirk Crossing 3 Camp as I prepare to shove off in crocs for all the crossings. Check out my McHale pack and my boots under the lid.

I finish Kirkland Creek and reach Sandy Gap like last time but this time I head south on the BMT to Six Mile Gap and meet two BMT section hikers, Monarch and Food Bank.

I pass thru Six Mile Gap on the BMT heading south and pass over the 4 peaks of Cantrell Top Mt and reach Tate Gap where I camp by this old homestead.

On Day 15 I backtrack from Tate Gap to Six Mile Gap and on Cantrell Mt I meet these 11 BMT backpackers pulling a 52 mile section of the trail. They are from a summer camp in Ohio.

Once I reach Six Mile Gap I set up camp and go visit my secret spring and find it flowing well. This is how you pull water out of a mud seep---dig out a hole, let it settle and use a leaf for the filter to avoid the mud. Works great for a pump filter, not so good for a sawyer type gravity filter.

WARRIOR'S PASSAGE IS REACHED!!! I leave Six Mile Gap and the BMT and climb up to Waucheesi Mt on a manway trail and in a 1.5 miles I'm at the Warrior's Passage trailhead as it drops like a rock off Waucheesi Mt.

My trip slowly winds down on the Warrior's Passage trail but first I must reach holy Wildcat Creek and cross.

WILDCAT CREEK IS REACHED! The goal is complete. It's time for an Uncle Fungus sheep dip to remove fleas, ticks, ants, spiders, biting flagellates and scrotal flukes.

My camp next to Wildcat Creek. It's so nice I pull my first zero day of the trip and stay here for two nights.

Wildcat Creek can get wild at times as shown by this stupendous logjam.

Day 20 and my pack is about 30 lbs and all is well with the world as I pull the last part of Warrior's Passage and pull a 3 mile Old Furnace roadwalk to Tellico River and my evac point to wait for my ride. Great trip.

Is that a new Keron? Last one was red IIRC. Nice TR, I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks, need me some mountain time.

Images

Once on top of Sugar Mt and I camp and then take two old logging cut roads (409 and 408) to Skull Gap and notice a side trail sign for Panther Creek laying in the dirt so I put it up and tied a yellow ribbon around it for future hikers. If you head down this trail you hit the steepest trail in the whole area. Short but very steep.

forgive me for asking and i dont have a map in front of me------where is Panther Creek Trail at? and where's it go?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    forgive me for asking and i dont have a map in front of me------where is Panther Creek Trail at? and where's it go?
    Look on the right side of the map and find Trail 162---it's the trail leaving Skull Gap and falling down to Tellico River. It comes out at the only footbridge remaining on the Tellico---

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Is that a new Keron? Last one was red IIRC. Nice TR, I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks, need me some mountain time.
    No, it's my old faded green Keron purchased new in 2009.

Maybe we'll see each other as my next goal is to Live On The Three Creeks---spending time on the North Fork, the South Fork, and Slickrock Creek. Gotta have beaucoup creek time in the upcoming TN/NC Furnace.

Images

yeah...

Ok...

thats what i thought it was but for some reason thought it had another name.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Here's the bottom trailhead to Panther Creek (my other pic shows the top trailhead)---

TRIP 136 179-L.jpg
    Cool lighting, almost looks like a move set. As always thanks for the trip reports Walter...I hope you can hike till ya drop.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah...

Ok...

thats what i thought it was but for some reason thought it had another name.....
    It might be called Panther Branch---not to be confused with Panther Creek in the Cohuttas ???

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Cool lighting, almost looks like a move set. As always thanks for the trip reports Walter...I hope you can hike till ya drop.
    movie set......ugh!

Images

It might be called Panther Branch---not to be confused with Panther Creek in the Cohuttas ???

thats what kinda confused me...

i think it is panther branch as maybe midway down, it starts to follow the branch (i think........been a few years)

Images

yeah......

google says panther branch...

20 DAY QUEST
    FOR
    WILDCAT CREEK

TRIP 190
    February 27--May 16, 2018
    At first I thought you were really backed up with your trips and pictures - but upon reflection, I suspect your trip started April 27, not February 27.

Even then, without shade at Round Top Mtn, I couldn't be sure. As always, thanks for sharing your great pix and interesting adventures!

TZ

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    At first I thought you were really backed up with your trips and pictures - but upon reflection, I suspect your trip started April 27, not February 27.

Even then, without shade at Round Top Mtn, I couldn't be sure. As always, thanks for sharing your great pix and interesting adventures!

TZ
    Oops, thanks for the correction.

Maybe we'll see each other as my next goal is to Live On The Three Creeks---spending time on the North Fork, the South Fork, and Slickrock Creek. Gotta have beaucoup creek time in the upcoming TN/NC Furnace.
    My plan is to stay high to stay cool. I might wander down from the ridge, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    My plan is to stay high to stay cool. I might wander down from the ridge, we'll see.
    A whole other thread could be devoted to "High vs Low" to achieve comfort in the Southeast during the summer furnace. Heck, I once camped in a blizzard on May 7th at 5,300 feet.

Often when it's 95F in Knoxville it's about 75F on Mt LeConte so there's some truth to getting to the high ground for comfort. But LeConte is 6,600 feet and the highest hills in my neck of the woods are around 5,500---big difference.

The creeks offer some advantages---the ability to find deep rhododendron shaded campsites and the ability to submerge my body underwater every two hours.

Oh, yeah, you are right about the 1k difference. Mt Mitchell is pretty cool, especially at night. I just enjoy being at altitude given my very flat location for most of the year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++