WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hennessy Hammock vs. Others (buncho questions)

Hello,

My first post. Be gentle!

I have a Hennessy Expedition A-sym that I've used only once. It's about 10 years old but in pristine condition as it's been stored inside. I intend to begin backpacking this spring. Starting with some overnight trips in the NC mountains followed by the Foothills Trail and, someday, the AT (or at least about 300 miles of it).

I'm interested in opins of those who have used Hennessy Hammocks.

1) Is this a suitable hammock for the trips I've described? I'm sure technology has changed but has it changed enough to warrant the expense of buying something different? If so, what?

2) Does the "Super Shelter" work well?

3) Is the standard rain fly large enough or should I invest in something larger?

4) Quilt vs. sleeping bag? Go! Interested in make/model recommendations.

Ready to do this!

Seakayaker

If it worked for you before it will work on the Foothills Tr. The FT has abundant places to hang as it's a forested trail. I see as ideal for the FT. 4X FT thru-hiker.

Super shelter I know no personal experience.

As a side turner toss and turner I've used a quilt or conventional side zip sleeping bag inside a hammock. Sleeping in a hammock I tend to stay on one side all night. It can be hard to find the zip on a bag if you slide around a lot or have a bottom zip bag.

I mainly use a hammock in jungles or the Pacific Northwest when I want to get off the ground or on hikes when finding a flat spot even for bivying would be difficult. But I have also used them on coastal or beach hikes where the coast is backed by forest or palms. I find them ideal for those occasions. For example, I hang often in Hawaii on off trail walk abouts. It can be very windy and wet in HI. It pays to note wind and rain direction when choosing to set up with the stock supplied Asym tarp and adjust it according. I find it no different than using a ground based tarp A frame config. The more exposed the CS, the more the wind, the more the wind driven rain, the more this has to be considered. I used the stock Asym trap for yrs but swapped out to a lighter wt DCF Asym one.

The Hennessy ASM UL or, I may have the Hyperlight, bottom entry was my first real backpacking ham. A couple yrs later I switched to the side zip. I now use other hammock brands most often. Nothing wrong with what you have use it and learn how to use it well. Since yours is 10 yrs old I'd inspect it first and sleep a couple of nights at home in it.

1. Sure, it's suitable. And you already own it. Use it. One thing that some find to be an issue with Hennessy's is the short length (about 9' usually). A longer hammock gives you a wider and flatter asym lay. If you decide that you'd like a little more comfort, there are inexpensive options out there but I'd recommend a hammock from dutchwaregear.com.
    2. It's not a very popular option out there. Again, if you own it, use it but there are much better ways to keep yourself warm from underneath. An inexpensive way is the Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad (not the hammock version). It's baffle shape and width provide great shoulder coverage and inderinflated a bit, it's a super comfortable way to sleep and will get you down below freezing easily. Underquilts are even better for comfort but the Klymit is what I would start with until you're a little more committed.
    3. The standard fly (i assume you mean the asym one) does work pretty well, but you will need to have it placed perfectly to "batten down the hatches" in severe weather. I've used it in a few rain storms without getting wet but a bigger tarp (with doors is even better) is the way to go longer term.
    4. If you think you can wiggle yourself into a sleeping bag in the traditional way, you're likely in for a surprise in a hammock. and it provides no insulation underneath you because it's compressed. Having said that, you can use a traditional sleeping bag as a top quilt - many do - I did when I started. purpose built top quilts will be lighter and more compact than a sleeping bag of similar warmth.

That's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    1. Sure, it's suitable. And you already own it. Use it. One thing that some find to be an issue with Hennessy's is the short length (about 9' usually). A longer hammock gives you a wider and flatter asym lay. If you decide that you'd like a little more comfort, there are inexpensive options out there but I'd recommend a hammock from dutchwaregear.com.
    2. It's not a very popular option out there. Again, if you own it, use it but there are much better ways to keep yourself warm from underneath. An inexpensive way is the Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad (not the hammock version). It's baffle shape and width provide great shoulder coverage and inderinflated a bit, it's a super comfortable way to sleep and will get you down below freezing easily. Underquilts are even better for comfort but the Klymit is what I would start with until you're a little more committed.
    3. The standard fly (i assume you mean the asym one) does work pretty well, but you will need to have it placed perfectly to "batten down the hatches" in severe weather. I've used it in a few rain storms without getting wet but a bigger tarp (with doors is even better) is the way to go longer term.
    4. If you think you can wiggle yourself into a sleeping bag in the traditional way, you're likely in for a surprise in a hammock. and it provides no insulation underneath you because it's compressed. Having said that, you can use a traditional sleeping bag as a top quilt - many do - I did when I started. purpose built top quilts will be lighter and more compact than a sleeping bag of similar warmth.

That's a start.
    Any recommendations on a larger tarp with a door?

Any recommendations on a top quilt?

The Hennessey will work but as others have stated, it is rather small. I used a Hennessey for years with no problems but absolute love my Simply Light Designs Trail Lair hammock (https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...cts/trail-lair).

No idea about the Super shelter, I always used a pad in my Hennessey with no problems for insulation.

I would recommend upgrading your tarp to a UGQ winter dream 12 footer with doors (https://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/penny-pincher-tarps/). You can hang out under it in porch-mode during rainstorms. It provides amazing wind and rain protection and I have never gotten wet using this tarp unlike my Hennessey tarp.

So bottom line, if you are happy with the Hennessey, then go with it. A pad will work for insulation but consider upgrading the tarp. You can always add other items later as needed but at least you will be starting out with the best.

I forgot about a quilt. HG quilts are my favorite but a sleeping bag unzipped will also work.

http://www.hammockgear.com/econ-quilts/

I have a 60 degree quilt, a 40 degree quilt and a 20 degree quilt. The 20 degree gets the most use.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Glad to contribute my experiences:

1) It's very suitable, as others have said. I've used a HH Hyperlight for years and love it. The length is only a problem if you're too tall for it. I'm only 5'9", so I've never had an issue.

2) I am not very fond of the Super Shelter. I bought one when I got the Hyperlight, but only used it once. I tried various pads but just didn't like the way they work. An underquilt is the way to go if you want the full comfort of a hammock. There are some good choices out there, though I'm a bit of a DIY guy so I made my own specifically to fit the Hyperlight. It's fitted in such a way that it cuts weight without cutting coverage, so mine is rated to 30* and only weighs 13oz. You won't get a commercial product that light with that rating, since they'll all have extra quilt where you don't really need it to accommodate a variety of hammock types. Any good top quilt will do fine, though I also made my own for this as well.

3) I ditched the standard fly after my second trip. It just doesn't have the coverage to really be secure except in relatively light rain. Go with a light material (Cuben or equivalent if you can swing it) in a good-sized hex fly. I don't have doors on mine (another DIY project, though it's really no different from what you can get commercially) and haven't felt I needed them, but some people swear by them.

4) See #2 above.

My other suggestion is to ditch the standard hang system and get yourself a strap setup to make hanging and takedown easier. As ggreaves suggested above, Dutchware is the place to look for better hanging systems. I use Dutch Clips for the tree end of my straps and cinch buckles for the hammock end, set on short strap sections tied into the original hang lines. It's way easier and more secure than the rather complicated setup that is native to Hennessys.

Good luck and welcome to the hanging community!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

"Doors" - is that just additional sq ft of tarp that allows you to close one or both ends of the rainfly?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    "Doors" - is that just additional sq ft of tarp that allows you to close one or both ends of the rainfly?
    Yes, see the link provided in the post above. You don't have to have doors, but anything that you can do to cut down on the effect of wind is helpful in staying warm.

I presume you have bottom entry due to age of the hammock, though I think they did start offering zips about that time. If bottom entry, the super shelter is not a bad option. A better option is a JRB Nest UQ. I used a pad for years - I prefer a short one to exaggerate the flat lay.

A sleeping bag is fine, though I wouldn't want to be zipped up in one in a hammock - just use it like a quilt. Or, there are some great options for TQ's these days, maybe the best being the HammockGear.com econ quilts. I believe WildernessLogics.com is having a sale sitewide.

The Hennessy is a fine hammock, as good as any really. Its integrated, and less modular than some others now. Since you have one and its in good condition, I'd use it and become more experienced hanging in general, where you'll get a better idea of your personal preferences to know what you might want to be different. Some newer hammocks are longer, more modular in terms of adding your own preferred suspension and other add-ons, and may have removeable nets. I ditched my HH because the net was preventing me from using my UQ effectively and it was either do the 2QZQ zip mod, or try another hammock - I did the latter and now rock a netless. Bottom entry is da bomb, though, if you're truly in a buggy area. I'm mostly in the mountains where I just don't get much bugginess. Did the FHT in cold, so no bugs, but don't know what that might be like in summer months.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I have had a hennessy ultralite for about 20 years. They hold up! I have done a couple of section hikes on the lower half of the AT, and have done several week plus canoe and kayak trips with the hammock.

1. Still a very good hammock, it is considered pretty bullet proof. I did get the zipper mod done. There are lighter setups out there now though. look at dutchgear's chameleon hammock and add ons. There is nothing like the pleasure of stringing up a hammock in the mountains while your tent friends are looking for level, dry ground. Plus, you have a tarp to get out of the rain under, and a dry place to cook.

2. I do not use it. Some like it, some not. Seems to be good down to about 30-40 degrees. Go look at the hennessy subforum on the hammocking forum site.

3. Not the right question. You need to tell us what you plan to use for insulation under you. While I used an inflatible pad for many years inside the hammock and a sleeping bag, I have now converted to using an underquilt in just about any temp other than hot summer. With the underquilt, a top quilt would work well, though I still used the sleeping bag because I toss and turn all night normally.
    GDW

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I used my Hennessey for years, sold it when I got a Warbonnet, wish I had kept it! It's a perfectly good hammock, I found it super comfortable, light and easy to set up. I used self-inflating pads and air mattresses with equal success. I used short to mid-length pads, and either an unzipped sleeping bag or a Warbonnet quilt. I was always comfortable and warm and slept like a log. I would go with a separate tarp for more space, that's about it. I prefer pads to underquilts for the flexibility of sleeping on the ground when I choose to.

So recommendations for three-season setup with your Hennessey:
    Warbonnet minifly tarp
    Warbonnet 3-season top quilt
    Thermarest Prolite (small - 47")
    (plus I always carry 6 sections of z-rest for sit pad, nap, extra ground insulation, or under legs in hammock if needed)

I use a Deep Jungle with top and bottom quilt. Both of these are from Arrowhead Equipment. A bag just didn't cut it. Cold butt is rough. I think the "Super Shelter" would be great but overkill for a backpacking trip due to weight. I did opt for the larger rainfly, as cold and wet are my greatest fears. I have used an inflatable pad with the hammock, just for the ability to go to ground. It's easier than an underquilt but not as warm. Call it a weather dependent option?

I know it’s been a couple weeks, but head over to the Warbonnet web page and check out some of their tarps. First class.

I have used my HH Expedition A-sym for around 8 years for car camping, bike touring, and backpacking. There are lighter options, but it is still a great hammock. I find it very comfortable. I have slept in pouring rain with the stock tarp with no issues, but were I going to use it on a longer trip I would probably spring for a larger tarp, as others have recommended. I have always used a sleeping bag because I don't own a quilt, but typically put a sleeping pad underneath my body and use my bag unzipped, like a quilt. I have no experience with bottom quilts. I do like the versatility of having the sleeping pad just in case I need to sleep on the ground.

Will it work versus will it be comfortable.. apples and oranges.

I had a HH Ultra Asym.. kept if for one hang and returned it. I worked fine, but it was too small in all respects. You don't mention your height/weight. I am 5'11" @ about 185lb. The HH had so much shoulder squeeze and a viscous calf ridge. One night was doable but anything longer would have be very uncomfortable.

Quilt versus sleeping bag.. if you zip the bag open it will work as a pseudo top quilt but will leave your underside exposed. I did this for my first season, and used a cheap CCF pad from Walmart. It worked. I quickly added an under quilt which is far more comfortable and has greater coverage than the pad.

There are DIY quilt options that can get you through temps down to the low 50's.. maybe high 40's. Search Costco Down Throw Quilt. Many have successfully built this using just Kam snaps.

SeaKayaker,come join us on hammockforums.net and you will get the benefit of many other hammock users there.

That said,I started 15 years ago with the HH Expedition Asym and that AWFUL little tarp that I have since dubbed
    "the itty bitty bikini tarp".I bot Hennessy's bigger silnylon tarp after getting wet one windy night in my backyard.
    I still have it and it is as good as it ever was but with the invention of newer materials it is somewhat obsolete.

I tried his "Super Shelter" too.Some people swear by it.I mostly sweared at it.One poster raised a good point about coupling the netted hammock with an underquilt because you will not be able to reach out and adjust the UQ on your shoulder during the night when necessary.You WILL need to make an adjustment or two during the night,goes with the territory.So a solid net hammock with no zipper is not going to work well with a UQ.

The HH bottom entry is loved by some(like me) and hated by others.I like the fact that you absolutely can't fall out of it and it makes a great place to sit at times like dressing and dealing with shoes etc.My advice would be to use a pad in the hammock and a down top quilt.Hammock Gear has some great buys on their economy line duck down quilts but of course I bot HG goose down before the duck down was on the market.

Moving on to tarps.For a hammock as short as the HH Expedition that I have an 11 foot tarp is your best all around bet.I own some 12 footers and while I really like the coverage they absolutely limit your options.I have hung with my 11 foot tarp numerous times where it was shoehorned between two trees where a 12 would simply not work.(and there were no other suitable options available at that location etc).

If you want to spring for a high dollar tarp you might consider the HG Winter Palace(not the itty bitty HG Standard like mine because the standard should have been called "the skimpy").Or you might want to go with the heavier WarBonnet Superfly or a Xenon XL by Dutch or Simply Light Designs.HG makes a great tarp reasonably priced called The Quest.I have one and have really enjoyed it.

Be advised that you will be entering into a realm that has turned many an unsuspecting hiker/camper into "gear junkies".As far as I know,there is no established re-hab for this disease.............

Images

I moved on from my HH and stock tarp a while back. You might want to know that have gone back to using another asym tarp on my mild weather setup. They work just fine for keeping dry. What they don't do well is block wind. Its also nice to sit under a large tarp in a relaxed space. But I really like a tiny backpack when I can do that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I have a HH Expedition Zipper version and found that I don't like it. Something about the fabric just doesn't feel right. A couple of folks I lent it to had same opinion.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

++ New Posts ++