WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The leadership lesson I learned from a world-record Appalachian Trail hiker - Knoxvil

Knoxville News Sentinel

The leadership lesson I learned from a world-record Appalachian Trail hiker
    Knoxville News Sentinel
    "A leader without followers is simply taking a walk,” said John Boehner, former Speaker of the House, when he left office in 2015. If that's true, what do we make of Belgian dentist, Karel Sabbe? Last month he broke the Appalachian Trail speed record ...

More...

He has nice teeth. Another runner probably front page on Runners' World...which attracts more FKT seeking runners to more trails. Ohh, he'll have followers! He looks like he has a tennis player's body and has the needed winning tennis player psyche.

"a world-record Appalachian Trail hiker" ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Exactly my sentiments.

Images

Ha...

bizarrely enough---I'm friends with Boehner's daughter..

met her in Brussels in 2007 while seeing some music.......

i didnt relate her name with him and she never mentioned it.

It wasnt til last year that I realized it...

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Exactly my sentiments.
    Yes, the playground has become a proving ground.

The best (world record) AT hiker is the one that enjoys it the most.

^^^^^^^^^^^...UGH!

I've met or know of much more significant "record" holders of AT hikes...those that have led by example. Earl Schaffer, Bill Irwin, Grandma Gatgewood, those that I knew were thru hiking to get over deaths of their entire family and they were the lone survivors, recovering drug addicts(heroin, crack, meth, alcohol), impoverished "homeless" people who largely worked and scrounged their way up the trail, those with diabetes or cancer or heart transplants, adolescents, recent divorcees, recent widowers, several septa and octo generians, the MANY that connect personally with the AT community by giving back to it WITHOUT undue public announcements rather than using it as the platform for personal acclaim, and the many others who have inspired in a myriad of other non publicized ways by giving of themselves....

Right. Over in 1.

At PCT Trail Days this year, I saw someone wearing a shirt that read "2xAT 2xPCT 2xCDT" on it.

Spirit of the responses reminds me a little bit of an interesting opinion article regarding runners addiction to the lifestyle and passively flaunting it with commererative tshirts and 13.1/26.2 car stickers. That without the love of recognition, there might be less love of distance running.
    It was as much funny-satire as much as a good kick to the jewels for people whom it might hit a little too close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    Spirit of the responses reminds me a little bit of an interesting opinion article regarding runners addiction to the lifestyle and passively flaunting it with commererative tshirts and 13.1/26.2 car stickers. That without the love of recognition, there might be less love of distance running.
    It was as much funny-satire as much as a good kick to the jewels for people whom it might hit a little too close to home.
    Since many LD hikers see it as an endurance sport nowadays, it's an interesting comparison.

Miriam-Webster dictionary defines world record as: a record officially recognized as the best established anywhere in the world.

Since there is only one place in the world where the AT can be hiked there can be no world record hike of the AT. There can be a FKT of the AT. And I've often wondered if the length of the AT went back to what it was in 2000 (2166.7 miles) in 2019, would the very first hiker who finished the trail (in whatever amount of time) hold the new FKT for the trail as it would exist in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Miriam-Webster dictionary defines world record as: a record officially recognized as the best established anywhere in the world.

Since there is only one place in the world where the AT can be hiked there can be no world record hike of the AT. There can be a FKT of the AT. And I've often wondered if the length of the AT went back to what it was in 2000 (2166.7 miles) in 2019, would the very first hiker who finished the trail (in whatever amount of time) hold the new FKT for the trail as it would exist in 2019?
    LOL. A new record category would be created - male supported FKT while wearing a re white and blue headband 2019 record holder at the 2000 distance. I'm surprised there already aren't separate NOBO and SOBO AT FKT thru records. I'm putting in validations to be recognized for a 2012 world record vegetarian male under the age of 45 unsupported NOBO AT thru-hike while wearing Keen sandals ex Hippie I did inhale category. If accredited I expect to be on next month's cover of Sandal World and get a free lifetimes supply of GU gels, Keen sandals, and all carrots I can haul off from Whole Foods. I'm waiting for and expecting greater marketing intrusions to trails. Neon lit advertisements on clothing, advertisements carried by drones and planes - BUY NIKE, GU Gels for the record holder in you, Go BIG Go Vegan, etc

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    I'll admit to getting a chuckle when I saw a car with a little white oval reading, '2185.3'.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++