WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Lots of discussion about having a map and compass, but The chance of someone orienting themselves from a park map that they pull from their pocket only if they get lost is pretty remote. You've got to have that map out and checking your location at every landmark and intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Lots of discussion about having a map and compass, but The chance of someone orienting themselves from a park map that they pull from their pocket only if they get lost is pretty remote. You've got to have that map out and checking your location at every landmark and intersection.
    If you have a basic free park map and come to an intersection and are unsure which way to go, having that map will help ensure you go in the correct direction. But if you wait until you are already lost to pull out the map, then yeah, it probably wouldn't do you much good.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you have a basic free park map and come to an intersection and are unsure which way to go, having that map will help ensure you go in the correct direction. But if you wait until you are already lost to pull out the map, then yeah, it probably wouldn't do you much good.
    The "FREE" maps are just the basic road maps that show all the roads and some of the sights in the park.

The map you need is the Back Country Trail Map and cost $1. Even better is the $3 waterproof version if you can find it.

Journal Entries

You can print trail map out from computer for cost of sheet of paper. 11x17 reccomended

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Bca45FjsFZLxAU
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-08-2018 at 06:05.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You can print trail map out from computer for cost of sheet of paper. 11x17 reccomended

That takes a certain amount of pre-planning. Often these type of hikes are spur of the moment things. And if you didn't bother to go to the visitor center first, you wouldn't have known about any maps to begin with.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

And while a physical piece of paper is best, you can simply download the PDF of the map to your smart phone while you have service.
    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    (MuddyWater's link is strait to the PDF from a Google search, this is the park service map page)

I thought you could trace phones without service. Guthooks app tracks you without service so couldnt a smarthphone be traced without the user making calls?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I thought you could trace phones without service. Guthooks app tracks you without service so couldnt a smarthphone be traced without the user making calls?
    Only if the phone's gps is turned on and an app is running that is recording a track.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

In that case the phone is receiving GPS data from satellites. It's not pushing anything out for tracking, and very likely not storing that data even if the user has an app like guthooks or other GPS software open unless they were intentionally recording their track.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    In that case the phone is receiving GPS data from satellites. It's not pushing anything out for tracking, and very likely not storing that data even if the user has an app like guthooks or other GPS software open unless they were intentionally recording their track.
    Ahh...I see

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Guthooks app tracks you without service so couldnt a smarthphone be traced without the user making calls?
    How do you get Guthooks app to track a hike? All it ever does for me is tell me where I am at the moment and the distance away various points are.

These kind of situations always surprise me when I see Naked and Afraid contestants surviving long term 50 deg temps. Yes, I know the N&A not an accurate indication and who know what we dont see that goes on to make it possible. But my point is more that I have a hard time imagining not being able to cope with the weather and deprivations(yes water is the critical factor) for a week...but of course in this case we have no idea how long she did survive or what did happen.
    Am I wrong to feel a resourceful and determined person could not expect to survive that area/weather/duration for a week?
    Not that I see any reason other than injury/illness that one could stay lost that long there if still mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    These kind of situations always surprise me when I see Naked and Afraid contestants surviving long term 50 deg temps. Yes, I know the N&A not an accurate indication and who know what we dont see that goes on to make it possible. But my point is more that I have a hard time imagining not being able to cope with the weather and deprivations(yes water is the critical factor) for a week...but of course in this case we have no idea how long she did survive or what did happen.
    Am I wrong to feel a resourceful and determined person could not expect to survive that area/weather/duration for a week?
    Not that I see any reason other than injury/illness that one could stay lost that long there if still mobile.
    I think you're wrong. Go out for a day hike with no gear, only a plastic poncho. In rainy/foggy and 40/50 degree weather. Go do it for a week, and post your trip report. Would love to see how you go about it.

I have been in stage one hypothermia twice. Both times, I was fortunate to have a planned ride out and a warm night indoors. Without a tent and dry sleeping bag, I don't think I would have survived one night in either situation. Both times, the temps were probably not lower than 45 degrees, but rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Resourceful, determined, prepared, possession of the necessary skills, experienced? Or taken by surprise, minimal experience, no survival skills, none of the 10 essentials, overwhelmed by panic and fear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Signage? I don't know what it looks like there, but most of what I've seen is rather "demure", like its supposed to fit in better with the natural scenery. When something like this happens, maybe its time to say "screw the scenery" and put something up that makes it rather obvious. Mostly only for clear day-hiking areas. I understand you can't do that everywhere, but seems like this would be the place for big obnoxious signage.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

so are you suggesting big flashing neon signs?

i think the signs that are up there are sufficient enough........

Images

What is sufficient? I don't know what they look like up there, but no, not flashing neon. I'm sure what she passed would be obvious to most of us, but it wasn't to her apparently. There have been more intrusive things done to prevent deaths like this.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Signage? I don't know what it looks like there, but most of what I've seen is rather "demure", like its supposed to fit in better with the natural scenery. When something like this happens, maybe its time to say "screw the scenery" and put something up that makes it rather obvious. Mostly only for clear day-hiking areas. I understand you can't do that everywhere, but seems like this would be the place for big obnoxious signage.
    This is the current signage:

There's two signs because at this intersection, the trail that continues strait (shown in the distance) becomes the Bypass trail (Forney Ridge turns right to the parking lot).

As I mentioned in a previous post, the signs are somewhat hidden by a tree until you're almost on top of them. So I could easily see a tired hiker focused on the ground in front of them might miss the 1st sign. But as you can see from the image, the 2nd sign sticks out a little more over the trail, and so you should at least see it out of the corner of your eye as you pass and realize you just passed an intersection sign.

And of course the trial to the right isn't hidden. But as a part of the trail restoration that has been done here, there is a "step" right in the middle of the intersection you can not see in this image. This step consists of small logs on all four sides with the space inside the logs filled with gravel. So again, I can see a tired hiker focused on the ground might not see beyond the "log" on the right side of this step and miss the intersection.

BTW: The part of the sign pointing to the parking lot is about 2' to 2.5' long (so these signs are NOT tiny).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 10-09-2018 at 13:28.

Journal Entries

There is no substitute for knowing where you are going, and paying attention.

If you pass 1 trail to right going, you pass 1 to left coming back

If she made it to AT and turned onto it to left.....well, she should have known she had to turn RIGHT to get back to CD . The truth has to be..she didnt have a clue. Or visibility was poor.

I walk by many trail signs, limited field of vision on one side. I do pay closer attention when its important though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-09-2018 at 13:33.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++