WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lets Talk Down Jackets

I am slightly in need of a new light down puffy. I would just buy the one I currently have but OR doesn't sell it anymore. And I don't like any of their current options. I am also not a fan of the other big box store products like Patagonia or north face.

Here's what I want:
    Sub 10oz
    A healthy baffle system
    Some pockets

I could go hood OR no hood. My old one is no hood and I cant remember a time when I wished I had the hood, however others mention that once they converted to a hooded jacket they wouldn't go back.

Cost? Meh lets leave that factor out of the equation however if that was the case I would have probably already bought the WM Flash and been done with it. I wouldn't mind some feedback from anyone that has experience with the Flash from WM...
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Nunatak gives total customization on several models. Longer sleeve length, pockets or not, longer torso length.

I don't have one but one I've seen mentioned a lot (with good reviews) is the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer.

Images

I have a Patagonia Puff (not down) and the REI Co-op "brand" (down). Both are functional. I usually take the REI down one because it packs smaller.

I think neither has a chest pocket. I wish each did.

The REI jacket I got on a nice sale. The more expensive "name brand" ones are not worth the extra expense IMHO.

Sorry, but don't recall the weights.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I can't complain about hooded ghost whisperer. I got it heavily discounted though... I think full price is a bit steep for what it is
    under 8 oz, 2 pockets, hood

I use that or the odd time I bring my northface thermoball (synthetic) on trips where I want something versatile that I can get wet and retain warmth. Have soaked that thing pretty good and was still warm.

Dont skimp on the outer shell material to save an ounce. Pretty much every Ghost Whisperer or similar jacket ive ever seen is patched up within weeks of real trail use.

For down insulation...

I think Montbell has some of the best offerings and designs for hikers out there. All for a fair price too.

The superior down parka is a long distance hiker favorite.

But... you said lightweight? How much fill weight are you looking for? And how will the jacket be used?

I guess my overall recommendation is that Montbell should have something to fit your needs... and its not patagucci.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by h. hastings View Post
    I don't have one but one I've seen mentioned a lot (with good reviews) is the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer.
    I have a MHGW and like it for fall and spring use; for winter I like something even warmer (WM Flash). So what I would recommend depends on how cold you want to camp.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Dont skimp on the outer shell material to save an ounce. Pretty much every Ghost Whisperer or similar jacket ive ever seen is patched up within weeks of real trail use.

For down insulation...

I think Montbell has some of the best offerings and designs for hikers out there. All for a fair price too.

The superior down parka is a long distance hiker favorite.

But... you said lightweight? How much fill weight are you looking for? And how will the jacket be used?

I guess my overall recommendation is that Montbell should have something to fit your needs... and its not patagucci.

I'm not extremely adversed in the fill weight subject but it seems like the 2.5 to 3.5 oz is my range. This jacket will 99% of the time be stowed in my dry bag during the day and be used around camp before bed time. This jacket is not a "winter" use either, I have a good OR hooded winter puffy. This is for late fall, early spring use.

I did jump over to montbells page just now, I have been a sleeping bag customer of theirs 4-5 times over so I will def consider them for my jacket, I like what I see and at a fair price.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

-

paid 28 shipped for this a month ago - 9 oz on my scale :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Outd...5f854c4dLLXLnx

similar for 35:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tect...5-c02f31dd8054

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Another vote for the ghost whisper.
    It comes in both hooded and un-hooded versions.
    During the off-season such as after Christmas sales, you can usually find one for half the full retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I'm not extremely adversed in the fill weight subject but it seems like the 2.5 to 3.5 oz is my range. This jacket will 99% of the time be stowed in my dry bag during the day and be used around camp before bed time. This jacket is not a "winter" use either, I have a good OR hooded winter puffy. This is for late fall, early spring use.

I did jump over to montbells page just now, I have been a sleeping bag customer of theirs 4-5 times over so I will def consider them for my jacket, I like what I see and at a fair price.
    I have an ex light anorak, windshirt, windpants, shell gloves, hats, and a few other pieces from them and have been pleased with them all. They were also very easy to work with when I received a defect product. Replaced it immediately, no hassle.

The Alpine Light jacket sounds perfect for your use

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I have an ex light anorak, windshirt, windpants, shell gloves, hats, and a few other pieces from them and have been pleased with them all. They were also very easy to work with when I received a defect product. Replaced it immediately, no hassle.
    The Alpine Light jacket sounds perfect for your use
    Is your anorak all patched up like everyone's ghost whisperer that you've seen? They're both 7d ripstop nylon

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Is your anorak all patched up like everyone's ghost whisperer that you've seen? They're both 7d ripstop nylon
    Nope but due to it not seeing much time on the trail. It really just wear it sometimes when car Camping and lounging around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I have a Patagonia Puff (not down) and the REI Co-op "brand" (down). Both are functional. I usually take the REI down one because it packs smaller.

I think neither has a chest pocket. I wish each did.

The REI jacket I got on a nice sale. The more expensive "name brand" ones are not worth the extra expense IMHO.

Sorry, but don't recall the weights.

Same as what I have.
    On sale the REI was $49.99

If price is no object, https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301365

I may well grab one if I hike in colder weather.

I have had a WM Flash since 2010 and literally never leave on a trip without it. I use it as a camp jacket and occasionally as an extra layer to extend the range of my sleeping bag. No patches, no tears and my favorite piece of gear in my bag.

I have the slightly heavier WM Flight jacket and it's used as a warmth layer in camp and also doubles as my pillow inside a silk pillowcase (an old converted silk baselayer shirt).

OK decide first 1) Is it almost exclusively for in camp or when not on the move? This means having to decide on what kind of hiker one is(camper or hiker) or that takes into consideration season i.e; aka conditions. Is it a primary insulation piece?...in a how many layer apparel system?..2, 3, 4...? These determine, at least in my mind, whether I MIGHT want a hood. AND, if choosing a hood it has consequences on wt of the jacket...usually an oz or bit more. Most hikers IMHO spend more time stopped and in camp than on the move or out in true winter conditions. IMHO I'd also surmise most go for 2 or 3 layer torso apparel set up. These things affect wt of a jacket which you are noting/prioritizing.

The WM Flash XR series runs big in the lower torso/belly area. As a lean ectomorph 6'4" it was too bulky in that area in the XL or L for my approach to backpacking and layering. You look lean in the belly too. I didn't particularly like a 11 oz down jacket with only about 1/3 of the down contributing to the total wt. I sold the Flash XR jacket. I tend to stay on the move(which contributes to maintaining warmth) and spend only about 7-10 hrs in camp, even during winter. I also prefer a 4 layer not overly bulky torso apparel system with greater overall diversity but still with a keen eye on maintaining UL philosophy for backpacking. I'm not adverse to the diversity and the closing the gap performance and compressibility of a synthetic like the TNF Thermoball(bit lg in xl in the belly area too), Pat Nano Puff (Primaloft Gold), or Pat Micro Puff(65G Plumafill). I prefer being able to wear everything - on the move - I'm carrying as often as possible to avoid carrying dead wt regularly. The only hoods I now have on any down or synthetic jacket are for non backpacking activities or perhaps dun in a day cold agendas worn at summits or after the sun goes down and not carrying a bag/quilt near the TH or car when I'm slowing down.

Arc'teryx cerium lt hoody...10.8 oz...very warm...love mine.

Montbell...loved my hooded exlight til I burned it...my mom got me the UL anorak last Xmas.....I love it and it’s sub 6.5 oz pretty warm with kangaroo pocket like my melly...great piece...can’t go wrong w montbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++