WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 299 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Right now the board's odds are in his favor 2-1. He'd make more money for Whiteblaze by dropping out than finishing.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-21-2006 at 23:03.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    I keep seeing these odds...and I'll take them.

I'll put down a $10 donation to Whiteblaze if he makes it. I'll take on the first 4 to bet against him, I'll even let you pick the odds. Lone Wolf and Neo have already given theirs.

A potential $40 donation to Whiteblaze.net is in the balance, against donations of about $1000 if he kisses the Katahdin sign - unless the odds start getting lower when real dough's on the line.

Step right up, don't start getting shy now. Show me the money!

Who's first?
    Trail magic insinuates itself into cyberspace. I love it! Cool avatar, Dances.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

3-1 says he grows some kind of facial hair during his hike.

Isn't this a warm-up for his Alaska journey? I'd say him having the determination to finish is without question. Whether luck counts him out is another story.

Personally, I'm a little jealous I'm not out there.

GO MS!!

Images

Jack is right. I would add that we shouldn't judge someone by some posts they have made here on Whiteblaze. Give the guy a break and lets offer him some encouragement and support. I offer him my best wishes for his success.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    I'm not MS -- thank goodness for that -- but if I was MS and someone bet against me and I quit -- I believe I'd be sitting at home sitting in my lazyboy recliner with a beer in one hand and the Companion in the other and type "updates" until I "summitted."

And I won't even mention that about 99% of those who report their hike to the ATC haven't met the requirements for doing so.
    You maybe on to something. Maybe DWM is Minnie Smith, has been all along and he he just trying to pull one over on us all! Hmmmmmmm....

Pretty slick, DWM!

I'm not MS -- thank goodness for that -- but if I was MS and someone bet against me and I quit -- I believe I'd be sitting at home sitting in my lazyboy recliner with a beer in one hand and the Companion in the other and type "updates" until I "summitted."

And I won't even mention that about 99% of those who report their hike to the ATC haven't met the requirements for doing so.
    Switch WF for MS and Handbook for Companion; wait 6 months and hang the certificate on your wall. Been there, seen that

Default A small fraternity

Actually, after Earl, I hear your were only the 5th person to ever hike the entire trail. That number allegedly stands at less than 10 today.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

It would only motivate me all the more if you were betting that I wouldn't make it.

Images

Default Long winded threads

Well, it seems we can add MS to guns, cell phones, dogs, trail shelters and lekis as subjects that get long winded, pointless threads going. In a weird way that does make MS a trail legend, along with Wing Foot and Warren Doyle, which ain't bad seeing as he hasn't even gotten out of Georgia yet.

In light of the fact that I'm participating in this, are those 25:1 odds* still available? I agree that betting against another WhiteBlazer is unseemly, but seeing as WhiteBlaze is the beneficiary I'm contemplating being unseemly.

BTW, any time limit for completion, and who certifies the "purity" of MS's hike?

*I was screwing around with my remodeling project last night and missed the 25:1 offer; would appreciate consideration of the fact that I try to have a life.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed

BTW, any time limit for completion, and who certifies the "purity" of MS's hike?
    I bet he finishes - pure as the driven snow. That'll make him only the 9th person ever to walk the entire trail. Quite an elite group really.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    I bet he finishes - pure as the driven snow. That'll make him only the 9th person ever to walk the entire trail. Quite an elite group really.
    First, the "driven snow" crack really is below the belt; pretty close to something I might say.

Next, are you taking up the 25:1 challenge? Make it a six months for completion and I'll even let you do the certifying.

Next, are you taking up the 25:1 challenge? Make it a six months for completion and I'll even let you do the certifying.
    Who me? I bet against Secretariat and Seattle Slew. Never again.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

In light of the fact that I'm participating in this, are those 25:1 odds* still available? ... BTW, any time limit for completion, and who certifies the "purity" of MS's hike?...
    There are still 3 openings, the rules haven't changed. Name your own odds and your donation base.

So call 25:1 and bet a buck. If he drops out I owe WB $10. If he makes it you owe $25. None of the previous oddsmakers believe their own opinions to be worth a single cent.

The consensus of the board will be used to judge purity if that becomes an issue. I'm easy, it's not worth arguing about so if push comes to shove I'll declare you the winner and donate my $10.

But we can beat that bridge to death when we come to it.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-22-2006 at 14:02.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I never bet for or against him. I just said he has a 1 in 25 hikers chance of making it .

Default go for it MS

MS,
    i took my time time when i started out too. don't listen no the naysayers. i went to the hospital in dahlonega (sp?) and went back to the trail after a three day break. i hiked probably 6 or 8 miles a day when i started. and i finished too. it's a mental/physical game for about a month, then it's all mental from there. so take your time see the sites. i've battled with you several times here on WB and i can't say that i would ever want to hike with you but i wanted to let you know that i think you'll make it. keep walking cause that's all it is, is walking. keep posting and i'll meet you in maine with some trail magic. good luck.

Default go for it MS

I bet against you simply because of the odds against completion are 20 or 25 to one for various reasons. Like the previous poster, I too would have no desire to hike with you because of some of your past posts if they represent the true you. However, I will also wish you luck on your hike, and I honestly hope you succeed in it. An acheivement like this is really something to be proud of. All you have to do now is one more day. Every night when you bed down, it is just one more day.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I never bet for or against him. I just said he has a 1 in 25 hikers chance of making it .
    that will work lol neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    There are still 3 openings, the rules haven't changed. Name your own odds and your donation base.

So call 25:1 and bet a buck. If he drops out I owe WB $10. If he makes it you owe $25. None of the previous oddsmakers believe their own opinions to be worth a single cent.

The consensus of the board will be used to judge purity if that becomes an issue. I'm easy, it's not worth arguing about so if push comes to shove I'll declare you the winner and donate my $10.

But we can beat that bridge to death when we come to it.
    Nay, nay, my friend, you put up the $250 and I'll put up the $10. I'll sweeten the deal by agreeing to abide by your judgement of the purity of the hike.

In considering this wager please allow that I am a civil engineer laboring for a local public works department, receiving a pittance for my efforts, and am the owner a condo in very poor health.

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

Dances with Mice,
    I'll take your bet for a buck and I'll even sweeten the deal. No matter whether he makes it or not I'll still donate to Whiteblaze. here's the deal:
    25:1 and bet a buck. If he drops out I owe WB $10. If he makes it you owe $25. Even if he doesn't make it I'll donate $1 per state that he makes it to, with a minimum donation of $5. Whiteblaze wins at least $15 no matter what!

I don't know MS, and haven't read all of his posts, but what I've read I don't necessarily agree with. However, I hope he makes it....especially if he's been planning a long time.

MS- Best of luck to you, I hope you make it. Hopefully when the going gets tough you think of my silly bet and it gives you strength to finish. Maybe I'll see you on the trail when I get out there....but you won't like hiking with me, because I'm bringing my DOG
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

Whoops, that should read YOU owe $10, and I owe $25....I'm confused....hopefully you understand what I mean.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Page 4 of 299 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++