WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Help me choose a sleeping bag

Hello,

i took a hiatus from backpacking fora while. i still have some gear that i never sold off as i liked it but i'm finding i have a gap in my sleeping bags.

I currently have a Marmot Never Winter 40 Degree bag and an Marmot Never summer 0 degree bag - big fan of both of these bags as they've been pretty good up to their ratings for me. i tend to sleep warm so that's always helped. i'm 5'9 so i'd opt to get a regular sized bag and i can comfortably zip up both of these bags with a bit of wiggle room.

I'd like to get a bag that goes in between these two temperature rating bags but i haven't a clue where to start.

this weekend at REI, if only to satisfy my curiosity, i set up a Big Agnes lost ranger with a Big Agnes pad. and to be honest it was really quite good. i tossed and turned inside and it was great.

but at 250.00 (My budget), i wonder if there is anything i might be able to get that's better?

i tend to lean towards down - I've not had any problems using it in the past despite rain and/or humidity. but again, it's been a while. it's quite possible that synthetics offer something comparable nowadays. I'll be pairing this bag with an Exped Synmat 7 which as i understand it, should keep me warm through to 10 degrees or so.

am i over analyzing this purchase? or should i just get the Big Agnes lost ranger?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Have you considered a quilt?
    20º Enlightened Equipment Down Quilts are right about at to just a few dollars over your budget.
    APEX (the cheaper ones) are the synthetic fill, the ones at and above your price range are the down fill.

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    . . . I currently have a Marmot Never Winter 40 Degree bag and an Marmot Never summer 0 degree bag - big fan of both. . .
    Well then, why not get a Marmot Never Spring 20 degree bag? Or does it work that way?

It sounds to me like you're looking for a 20 degree bag or similar. Whether quilt or bag, that is the temperature range with the most choices. Pick any one of 20 good options from an REI bag on sale to the BA (which has caveats you want to be aware of if buying), to an Enlightened Equip quilt.

Bang for you money, in down, is likely one of the REI bags on sale (or garage sale) or one of the more affordable cottage quilts like Enlightened Equip.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Have you considered a quilt?
    20º Enlightened Equipment Down Quilts are right about at to just a few dollars over your budget.
    APEX (the cheaper ones) are the synthetic fill, the ones at and above your price range are the down fill.
    now why'd you have to go and do a thing like that? those quilts look awesome seems like for what i need i'm just over the budget by about $40 bucks... and i'd be getting what seems like a much nicer product...

In addition to Enlightened Equipment, there are several other makers of Backpacking Quilts. I have an Underground Quilt which I quite like. You can get a 20 degree, 72" long, 55" wide 800 fill quilt from them for about $200 (not sure what shipping would be). I think that would be the size they recommend for a 5'9" ground sleeper, but you should check the web site or call them to be sure (they are made in Michigan). They have quilts with standard specs you can order "off the rack" or you can customize with a boat load of options (color, taper, foot box style, down fill power, width, length, over stuff, draft collar). What I like about quilts is if you toss and turn (like I do) you are not constrained as you are in a sleeping bag. Also, if it is too warm, it is trivial to cover yourself more or less to adjust the temperature. A 20 degree bag/quilt would be the obvious choice to fill in between your 40 and zero degree bags. I have a 40 deg quilt for summer use. A 20 deg bag/quilt is often recommended for three-season use as it can work for Spring, Summer, or Fall. For really cold winter hikes (or trekking to Everest Base Camp) you can use your zero degree bag.

Think of a sleeping bag as a long term investment. They don't wear out the same way a lot of other gear does. You hear all the time about Western Mountaineering bags being a lifelong investment. If you find one you like better for slightly over your budget, I would go for it.

I personally prefer a mummy bag for 20 and below, with quilts above that, but that is a personal thing as I sleep cold and like to wrap up.

If you wanted something cheaper, I am about to sell my 2014 REI Igneo 19. It's a long, but the price is right. PM me if interested. Selling since I bought a WM Alpinlight last year and no longer need two 20* bags.

What I like about the EE quilts is their pad attachment system...it is by far the best out there.

If it was me I'd just save my money and use the 0F rated Marmot for everything below 40F. Use it unzipped as a quilt and sleep in baselayer leggings and top---with the bag off to the side if too hot. The beauty of a mummy bag is it becomes a Quilt when needed and becomes a zipped up mummy when needed for deeper cold, so in effect you're carrying both a quilt and a bag.

Go to Steep & Cheap and get last years model at 25% to 45% discounts. I have made several purchases and one return with them and they have good customer service.

I have a 25 year old Marmot bag that is still in great shape and highly recommend Marmot....but there are lots of others that are just as good.

Here are links to both Down & Synthetic bags.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/5-to-2...-sleeping-bags
    https://www.steepandcheap.com/5-to-2...-sleeping-bags
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    What I like about the EE quilts is their pad attachment system...it is by far the best out there.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I used the pad attachment straps, and only when it was right around 20 degrees. Otherwise they're just kind of fiddly and it makes more sense to snap them under you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If it was me I'd just save my money and use the 0F rated Marmot for everything below 40F. Use it unzipped as a quilt and sleep in baselayer leggings and top---with the bag off to the side if too hot. The beauty of a mummy bag is it becomes a Quilt when needed and becomes a zipped up mummy when needed for deeper cold, so in effect you're carrying both a quilt and a bag.
    What he said. For a couple of decades all I used (sub zero weather aside) was a +5 degree bag from Sierra Designs. If I'd taken better care of it I'd still be using it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I can count on one hand the number of times I used the pad attachment straps, and only when it was right around 20 degrees. Otherwise they're just kind of fiddly and it makes more sense to snap them under you.
    I agree, but good for what they are

Im partial to the time tested Marmot Helium 15. Usually found on sale at your price range.

If it ain't broke.....

Don't scrimp on the bag... scrimp somewhere else and buy the bag you need, price be dammed.

I don't get the question. You already have a summer bag and a winter bag and you like them both. And you can't afford to buy another good quality bag. So why don't you simply switch when the weather turns colder?

Personally, the only bag I have ever been comfortable in is a Montbell Super Spiral. I can't stand the limited movement allowed in a normal mummy bag. I only have one -- rated for 30 degrees. I use a synthetic liner that adds 10 degrees. If it gets colder than that, I sleep in my long-handles and add my poncho as a top layer. When it's too warm for a bag, I just use the liner alone.

The rating is your choice, I pair all my bags with the exped brand and I would encourage anyone who has not, to try the Enlightened Equipment & or the Western Mountaineering brands.

I like the hybrid bag/quilt design of the Enlightened equipment, and I like the quality and durability of the WM while not sacrificing weight

I have a 0* EE quilt
    2 WM bags - 1 mummy and 1 rectangle. I love the space of the rectangle WM bag, it is my favorite in my collection.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Yes. That is the least expensive option.

If you want save some $ on a quilt, you could check out the HG econ line.
    eg: http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-20/

a few ounces heavier for $100 cheaper (uses cheaper down)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    If you want save some $ on a quilt, you could check out the HG econ line.
    eg: http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-20/

a few ounces heavier for $100 cheaper (uses cheaper down)
    Also a good way to describe the APEX quilts (with the added benefit of maintaining its performance in wet/humid conditions).

Images

i put in an offer for an Englightened Equipment revelation. again, i like the above bags but particularly the 0 degree bag gets minimal use and i sleep hot.

i think the quilt will serve me better.

Thanks all for the advice.

time to go post the 0 degree bag for sale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++