WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation It's time for NoBos to consider flipping up to Baxter.

When you get in to Monson, you'll have shuttle options that'll get to the Katahdin trailhead.

Yes, the Birches stay open til 10/22 - but that doesn't mean Katahdin trails will still be open.

Sites are now available during mid-week at Katahdin Stream. If you reserve a site, you don't need to gamble on one of the 12 spots at the Birches. And - you get to hike back thru the 100 seeing friends you might not have seen in months!

2018 Baxter and Katahdin info for NoBos
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I hiked Carter Dome last Friday and found 5 NoBo's at the Carter hut. They were all confident to make it to the big K in time :-)
    Let me go

Met a group of 4 and 2 independent nobos in Vermont 2 weeks ago, now going thru the whites none would consider flipping and were almost offended when I wanted to have a conversation about it.

I don't care what they do, but flipping seems like the sensible option to me. On the other hand, I have not met too many thru hikers who were sensible.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Met a group of 4 and 2 independent nobos in Vermont 2 weeks ago, now going thru the whites none would consider flipping and were almost offended when I wanted to have a conversation about it.

I don't care what they do, but flipping seems like the sensible option to me. On the other hand, I have not met too many thru hikers who were sensible.
    Funny, I met two going out of Delaware Water Gap this afternoon and suggested they flip. They acted like that was the most disgraceful suggestion ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Funny, I met two going out of Delaware Water Gap this afternoon and suggested they flip. They acted like that was the most disgraceful suggestion ever.
    Not saying you approached it wrongly, since I have no idea how the conversation went. But a good reminder that a "this is what you should do" approach is rarely effective. Better to say, "This is what I am doing (or would do) and why (and maybe a few words about how it is actually better for the trail)". Then if the hiker decides to continue as planned, well, HYOH. You tried, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Not saying you approached it wrongly, since I have no idea how the conversation went. But a good reminder that a "this is what you should do" approach is rarely effective. Better to say, "This is what I am doing (or would do) and why (and maybe a few words about how it is actually better for the trail)". Then if the hiker decides to continue as planned, well, HYOH. You tried, at least.
    you are right you have no idea how the conversation went, and the key word in my first post was "suggested".

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I hiked Carter Dome last Friday and found 5 NoBo's at the Carter hut. They were all confident to make it to the big K in time :-)
    If their strong hikers and the weather holds, they have a chance. From last Friday, they had 3-4 weeks to do Maine. But if the weather turns, Maine can really chew you up this time of year. It is cutting it close. It's going to be stormy the next couple of days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

yeah, good point. I know I'm terrible about that. It's hard to share ideas, suggestions, advice, etc... without the "you should". I'm usually careful not to use those exact words, but the message comes through. I think in my case mostly because my underlying "attitude" is really thinking "they should". I'd recon that a lot of people are this way...maybe most. Natural when you think about it.... we've convinced ourselves that our idea is the best way to go...otherwise it wouldn't be "what I would do"

Quik, sorry I came across as telling you how you should have handled it. That wasn't my intention, as it would have contradicted my own advice, but I can see how it would have sounded that way to you. I should have stated what I would do, and why. Yep, giving advice is hard sometimes.

They'll know their situation when or if they reach Monson before the deadline. It is easy to judge if one must make a decision then.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If their strong hikers and the weather holds, they have a chance. From last Friday, they had 3-4 weeks to do Maine. But if the weather turns, Maine can really chew you up this time of year. It is cutting it close. It's going to be stormy the next couple of days.
    Let me go

Up until a few days ago, we've enjoyed summer like weather and little rain. This causes a certain amount of complacency for those who are unfamiler with how quickly the weather can change in NH and Maine this time of year - and how fast it starts to get dark in the evening - and how difficult Maine can be in bad weather.

It seemed fall would never arrive, but it finally has. The last few days we've been waking up to temps in the low 30's and rain is coming. As usual, it's gone from too darn hot to too darn cold, too darn fast! This sudden change in the weather will hopefully be a wake up call for the stragglers.

There seemed to be a whole lot of thru hikers in Gorham two weeks ago, probably the last big bubble of hikers.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It did cool down quick and now there is heavy rain coming through and 40 degrees (hypothermia time). I expect more than a few folks have gotten caught with carrying warm weather gear and wish they had geared up. Of course the forecast is yoyoing but the valleys have had several near frost events. The other aspect is days are getting short and the amount of hours of sunlight is going down by a few minutes a day. After a cold night it takes until about 8AM if there is sun to warm up and by 6PM its starting to cool down rapidly. At my house which looks at the Madison and Adams I used to reliably expect that one morning in late September I would get up and see frost on the above treeline areas. These days its less reliable until Mid October but its still a battle to keep my tomato plants from freezing before most of my tomatoes turn red.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    I expect they were pulling your leg.

How many AT NoBos a) have cell service, b) check this forum on this board, and c) care what a non-thru has to say?

Actually a lot of thru hikers do stop in and stay at local hostels that have cell service and Wifi and are aware of the deadline at Baxter. A couple of cold frosty nights seem to give them "religion". I have run into many thru hikers over the years that are definitely on the edge about a flip and I have picked up a few hitching east on Rt 2 to do the flip. There are also a couple of local shuttlers that pick up lucrative shuttles to Monson or beyond.

One big item is money, most folks are way over budget by the time they get to Gorham and a flip is potentially an expensive thing unless they have someone carting them around for free. A direct shuttle is pricey and the alternative of the bus to Boston and then the bus to Millinocket is not much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Actually a lot of thru hikers do stop in and stay at local hostels that have cell service and Wifi and are aware of the deadline at Baxter...
    Good thing they check this forum and don't spend all their time on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I expect they were pulling your leg.
    rickb these two were dead serious and full of unrealistic expectations. I've met a lot like them on this hike, far more than when I thru-hiked in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    How many AT NoBos a) have cell service, I would say the majority
    b) check this forum on this board, this depends on they're age, the younger crowd not as much. I can't give you any numbers but a lot of the younger hikers view this forum meaning WhiteBlaze as a forum for washed up old farts who rarely if at all hike anymore, a bunch of old guys sitting behind the keyboard dishing out off topic advice. I've met far more who think this way and have said so than I would have guessed when I started my hike in May.
    c) care what a non-thru has to say?
    again it depends on their age

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Actually a lot of thru hikers do stop in and stay at local hostels that have cell service and Wifi and are aware of the deadline at Baxter. A couple of cold frosty nights seem to give them "religion". I have run into many thru hikers over the years that are definitely on the edge about a flip and I have picked up a few hitching east on Rt 2 to do the flip. There are also a couple of local shuttlers that pick up lucrative shuttles to Monson or beyond.

One big item is money, most folks are way over budget by the time they get to Gorham and a flip is potentially an expensive thing unless they have someone carting them around for free. A direct shuttle is pricey and the alternative of the bus to Boston and then the bus to Millinocket is not much cheaper.
    I met three hiking together in NY or CT, they were calculating the remaining distance vs costs of a combined shuttle

I read of a rescue from near Redington due to an injured ankle. Tho female thru hikers, I surmised from the report. It could have been the pair we talked to last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

++ New Posts ++