WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moreland Gap Shelter -- resident copperheads removed

Just back from enjoying the forest and the waterfalls in the Pond Mountain section of the Cherokee NF in the wake of another Hurricane that wasn't. Very little non-human wildlife observed; the mice in the shelters were even absent or inactive!

One bit of fun that I only learned of from the corpses. An experienced hiker for this overnited alone at Moreland shelter, built a fire, sat on a log with a crack in it for a while, woke up in the morning and was having coffee when he realized that his log had two young copperheads hiding in the crack!

He dispatched them swiftly and left the headless bodies in front of the shelter as a warning to other shelter visitors. Moral: look before you sit.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by windlion View Post
    Just back from enjoying the forest and the waterfalls in the Pond Mountain section of the Cherokee NF in the wake of another Hurricane that wasn't. Very little non-human wildlife observed; the mice in the shelters were even absent or inactive!

One bit of fun that I only learned of from the corpses. An experienced hiker for this overnited alone at Moreland shelter, built a fire, sat on a log with a crack in it for a while, woke up in the morning and was having coffee when he realized that his log had two young copperheads hiding in the crack!

He dispatched them swiftly and left the headless bodies in front of the shelter as a warning to other shelter visitors. Moral: look before you sit.
    Another retard that doesnt know its illegal to harm snakes in TN, as well as many states.

Some people belong home. Further proof people need to be licensed to go onto public lands.

I suppose you'd better add me to the retard list. I would likely have done the same ... but I would have buried the bodies in the woods.

Virginia is Not Flat

Distressing to hear some people are not only woefully amoral when it comes to contact with wildlife, but are also ignorant of laws protecting it.

Let's go into the woods a kill everything that we are afraid of. That's a great plan. You clowns need to stay home where you are safe. And where you can't needlessly slaughter the residents.

No shortage of ******** in the world.

I guess it's easy to take the moral high ground and condemn others for their seemingly cruel/illegal acts until your kid, dog, or significant other gets bitten 8 miles from the nearest trail head.

Me too. "leave no trace!"

I'd take snakes over mice any day. If a resident copperhead is the solution to shelter mice, count me in favor of installing one in every shelter. Snakes don't tear up your gear or ruin your food or run over your face in the middle of the night or carry deadly diseases like hanta virus and rabies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude18e View Post
    I guess it's easy to take the moral high ground and condemn others for their seemingly cruel/illegal acts until your kid, dog, or significant other gets bitten 8 miles from the nearest trail head.
    It is easy. Why did the snakes have to die? Just kick them out of their log, or move the log, or something. It's not like OTHER snakes won't simply move in - you're not really solving the problem, and now 2 animals are dead.

Hmm lets see...
    1-People Dislike mice
    2-People are happy shelter is absent of mice
    3-Said people see mice eating animals
    4-Said mice hating people kill the animals that eat the mice they dislike
    5-Mice are now at shelter
    6"Hey lets see how many of these damn mice we can kill"

Yep sounds about right to me!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Further proof people need to be licensed to go onto public lands.
    Killing the snakes? Yeah dumb. But that statement is no less ridiculous, with all due respect.

This is my responsibility as a parent or dog owner, not the snakes.I grew up running wild in the woods of East Tennessee and we managed to not get snake bit. The only person I personally know that has been bitten was getting a basketball out of his flowerbed.We went into the snakes home, it didn't come into ours. If you go hiking leave the snakes alone. If you don't want to leave the snakes alone, don't go hiking. Pretty simple concept.

[QUOTE=windlion;2223863]I suppose you'd better add me to the retard list.

We will.

yes, of course there are snakes there... and the next shelter and the previous shelter, and under that rock you just walked by...

In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native snakes taken from the wild without the proper permits.
    See the Snakes in TN section at https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/reptiles.html

OP learned it from the corpses but knew the whole story?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

My dog was bitten by a copperhead near that section and I had to hike him out on my shoulders and almost lost him in the ensuing days at the vet's ICU. The snake wasn't doing anything wrong and I would never kill a snake if I saw it because of that incident. Its a risk we all take going into the woods.

Apparently a rash of tough luck to lose all those people and the hound to snakes. Perhaps finding different areas to hike in that do not have that level of population or some snake guards for the bipeds and leash for the quadruped would help. I wish you luck.

So kill the mice,
    Let snakes live,
    How do we feel about spiders, millipedes and bears?

For the life of me I've never understood peoples desire to kill snakes, or any other wildlife, for that matter....pure ignorance.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++