WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default John Muir - Hiawassee

Anyone know of a shuttle service for this section of the BMT(section ?)/John Muir trail? Any other advice for the area would also be appreciated. Lastly, anyone have a gpstrack for this trail? Would just make it a two day out and back, but coming off a bad ankle sprain. Thanks.

Are you going to start at Childer's Creek area or the Hiway 68 area? If all seems hopeless you could park at Childer's Creek and hike the Muir trail as far as possible and then camp and turn around and go back. A trail hiked in one direction is different when hiked in the other direction.

Images

Hi Tipi. True. You are correct, plan is to start at Children's Creek as it is the most Western point and we won't be getting there until around dark. Might just have to do the out and back and let the ankle decide what is halfway, as you mentioned. It is just a decent sprain, but guess I am getting old as healing takes forever these days. Walking it off just does not work as well as it used to.

There are several good camping spots on the Trail beyond Childer's Creek---One in the "forbidden zone" before reaching Big Bend picnic area; one next to Towee Creek; one between Towee Creek and Loss Creek (just downstream from The Narrows); and a really nice camp next to Loss Creek. I know, I camped at them all---nearly.

TRIP 134 162-L.jpg
    Here's the Childer's Creek trailhead and looking into the Forbidden Zone.

TRIP 134 121-L.jpg
    A campsite by Towee Creek.

TRIP 134 117-L.jpg
    A campsite below The Narrows.

TRIP 134 110-L.jpg
    The great camp on Loss Creek.

Images

Excellent information-- else we would just be wandering the first night, looking for that primo site under the full moon(ok does not sound that bad...!). If we do just go p2p do you suggest we stay on John Muir or take BMT to 68? Thanks for always being willing to share your knowledge.

I've only done the BMT section of the JMT and joined the JMT after the BMT leaves 68 and drops down to the river. The rest of the Muir trail I believe goes quite a bit further beyond the BMT jct and sticks next to the river to an apparent deadend near the NC border by Shuler Creek road.

I need to backpack this section sometime and winter would be the best time.

++ New Posts ++