WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear Review: Ruffwear Approach Dog Pack

I have used these packs exclusively for 3 years and hundreds of miles with my two border collies. Kye is a 34lb female and Cody is a 40lb male.When first buying these packs I bought the small for Kye and the medium for Cody, according to the measurements and weight guidelines on the website. Despite this the medium pack really was too large for Cody and I had it cinched down as tight as possible to make it fit. The panniers themselves were massive on him. Recently I replaced his medium pack with a small and it fits much better and has smaller panniers.

Continues here: https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...oach-dog-pack/

I use the same pack with my border collie/lab/retriever pooch. Her pack is a bright lime green type color so she's easy to see. I'm still working with her on being able to be off leash but I do like the leash attachment point on the top of the pack when I need it. So far she's adapting pretty well to it. We haven't done any overnights yet but I've had her carrying her water (a 20 oz. bottle on either side of the pack) when we go out on day trips to get her used to it all. She'll be 3 in December and is adjusting nicely so far. I hope to get out for an easy overnight with her before the fall is over so I'm looking forward to replacing the water bottles with some food, her bowls and other items not to exceed the recommended weight; she weighs about 60 pounds so my guess is that's about 12 pounds of gear and no more (and I'll shoot for 10 pounds).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Quote Originally Posted by pettas View Post
    I use the same pack with my border collie/lab/retriever pooch. Her pack is a bright lime green type color so she's easy to see. I'm still working with her on being able to be off leash but I do like the leash attachment point on the top of the pack when I need it. So far she's adapting pretty well to it. We haven't done any overnights yet but I've had her carrying her water (a 20 oz. bottle on either side of the pack) when we go out on day trips to get her used to it all. She'll be 3 in December and is adjusting nicely so far. I hope to get out for an easy overnight with her before the fall is over so I'm looking forward to replacing the water bottles with some food, her bowls and other items not to exceed the recommended weight; she weighs about 60 pounds so my guess is that's about 12 pounds of gear and no more (and I'll shoot for 10 pounds).

snapper
    With dogs the recommended weight they carry should be around 10-12% of their body weight. So for a 60lb dog, 6lbs is what you should be aiming for. However, at the beginning of a long hike I know my dogs are carrying closer to 15% between food and the weight of the pack but it drops quickly

Thanks for that. I knew the percentages that you mention. Just screwed up on the math .

snapper

++ New Posts ++