WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Section Hike

Default Section Hike

I would like to section hike from Hanover to Glencliff. I do some dayhiking and can do 10 miles with altitude change. I average about 1-2 mile/hour. Can I do this section in 5-6 days?

mevet

The AT distance calculator says that's ~43 miles (~give or take~ depending on where exactly you're starting/ending). So yes, based on what you said you can do and the distance. Yes you most certainly can. Perhaps in 4 to 5 days even, instead of 5 to 6 days.

I'd say it's a pretty "normal" stretch of AT. As they say, hike your hike. You know you and what you can and can't do. If you're enjoying it, you're likely doing it right. Enjoy it, and I hope you have some sweet weather for it.

u.w.

That’s just about 42 miles, so in 5 days you should do this easily. The terrain is somewhat hilly and strenuous in places, but if you’re in reasonably good shape, you’ll have plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It starts out easy enough and through some interesting woods as your still in the river valley for awhile. Then there is the climb up to Moose Mountain shelter and it gets real bumpy after that. Smarts Mountain and Mt Cube are good climbs. You'll probably want to plan on going shelter to shelter, of which there are 4 of and one campsite (shelter burnt down there).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From Glencliff North, it gets decidely more difficult. I anfor a mile an hour and If I get more, it's bonus miles. Smats mountain is the first "Welcome to NH" mountain. It only gets harder from there.

The other consideration is when do you want to do this hike? Doing it mid summer with lots of daylight and warm temps is a lot different then short fall days with cool to cold temps.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++