WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Would through hikers be interested in renting a luxury motorhome on the trail?

Lightbulb ?? Would anyone be interested in renting a motor home on CDT near Helena

I'm new to this forum and not a dedicated CDT hiker. But I live in Helena, MT and as you know the CDT is just a few miles from town. For the past couple of years my wife and I have been renting out a small fleet of pop-up campers with great results. Everybody has been happy and the campers have been very well received. (Look up Montana Camper Rentals .com).
    We recently purchased a large motorhome that is really nice. It has everything.
    We are wondering if there is a market for through hikers who would like to rent the motorhome while parked near the trail. You'd get a clean bed, hot shower, food to cook, entertainment and a network connection. The motorhome can sleep seven.
    I'd love to help the hikers take a relaxing break, but we also need to make money on this. What would be fair to charge for a night in luxury on the trail? And would anyone likely be interested in this?
    Thanks for your input!

Hard to say. What other options are near-by and at what cost? Can you supply a ride to town as most hikers would need to get there for resupply.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Use AirBandB to comparison shop similar accommodations in the area.
    I agree that being on/near the CDT may not be a PLUS for hikers needing to resupply.
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

-

luxury motorhome is seldom in the price range of interest for hikers 25 - 35 is about max for most

That sounds like a mobile hostel. It would seem to me that you would need an onsite "manager;" otherwise just one bad hiker or bad group of hikers can turn that luxury mobile home into the ghetto. So now if you have a resident "manager" you also have someone to drive the mobile hostel to a store for reprovisioning and ice cream . Depending on the layout of the interior and its sleeping accommodations, charging somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 per night (give or take $5) might be an attractive price with the shuttle service thrown in.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I would say it wouldn't work well, because you'd need a large enough group that want to stay together and all pay a decent rate to make it worthwhile
    I think most people just want to go to town

A 32’ Airstream that sleeps 3 rents for $127/night in the Durango-Bayfield, CO area close to trails.
    You’re probably better off renting the motor home for touring the area or a fixed location in an RV Park.
    Wayne

Well, considering there's not too much (from what I recall on my 2014 thru-hike) in the way of cheap lodging in Helena this could be a good option. As a few others mentioned regarding resupply, if you could have the camper somewhere in town within walking distance of the supermarket, more hikers MIGHT utilize this service. Laundry is a big part of town days as well, so without that you might not get too much interest. As far as "bad hikers" on the CDT as Idsailor said, the vast majority of hikers on the CDT are experienced, respectful, good people who will appreciate your services. If you ask me, I'd be more concerned about leaving my fully stocked camper unattended at MacDonald Pass!

Do you have a special use permit for the location you would "park" it at?

++ New Posts ++