WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Preparing for my first trip with a lunar solo...

Researched extensively, have set it up 4-5 times, and am looking forward to using it on the trail.
    I've placed reflective shock chord on the tie outs and seam sealed it of course.
    I also ordered, and cut to size, a polycro ground sheet.
    Any advice at all, hacks/mods for the shelter that you've found useful would be appreciated..
    -sloan

Just set it up and get in it.

There's a little mesh pocket at the door entry which is a good place to put glasses or a flashlight. Took me a few nights to notice it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by cr115 View Post
    Researched extensively, have set it up 4-5 times, and am looking forward to using it on the trail.
    I've placed reflective shock chord on the tie outs and seam sealed it of course.
    I also ordered, and cut to size, a polycro ground sheet.
    Any advice at all, hacks/mods for the shelter that you've found useful would be appreciated..
    -sloan
    I must have spent close to 300 nights in a Lunar Solo. It's not hard to set it up well enough so it will keep you dry. It takes some practice to get a good pitch.

I zip up the screen and vestibule first and set my pole to the recommended length, 49" for the new ones.

Setting up on good, flat, level ground is very helpful to make a taught pitch.

I'll pick what I think is the best spot, with good drainage, then lay down to test out the spot for comfort, then check for sharp objects or rocks or whatever.

I've got a model from about 2010 (just bought a new one but haven't set it up yet) but it's probably a similar strategy for setting up.

• I first extend the guylines.
    • I stake out the front corners, then the front guyline, (it usually requires length adjustment, and should be in line with angle of the vestibule) then the back guyline, then the back corners.
    • I'll then check to make sure the pole is nice and vertical. (I think the new model pole is supposed to be angled.)
    • Often I'll readjust the stakes a bit to get a taught pitch.
    • I almost always use the side loops with guylines, even if it's not windy.
    • If I'm using wimpy stakes, I'll use a a beefier stake on the front guyline.
    • Zippers wear out much faster if they are zipped and unzipped under a lot of tension. If necessary I will tweak the setup so neither the door zipper nor the screen zipper is under tension.
    • I'll often retension the tent before going to sleep.

I am a big fan of the Lunar Solo.

I enjoy my Luna Solo. It weighs 1 lbs 14 oz with tie outs, stakes, carbon pole, and stuff sack.

I bikepack (no hiking poles) so I have the Easton Carbon pole. It's 52 grams and folds in thirds. I wanted a shorter folding pole so I made my own from carbon arrows. It's 39 grams and folds in fourths. Pictures below.

To keep my sleeping pad from sliding around, I painted some "lines" inside on the floor with the silicone seam sealer. Even when dry the seam sealer stays sticky enough to lock the pad in place. But beware - dirt also sticks to the silicone.

Some people cook under the vestibule. I'm too afraid food smells will permeate the tent and attract unwanted visitors at night.

I've gotten much better with the bathtub floor and the pitch over time and with practice. I was was upset the first few times I set it up! You'll get there eventually!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I forgot two other things!

I use sticks under the tie outs to lift the sides. Choose "Y" sticks and the tension will keep them vertical. See picture above.

For when I do use a hiking pole, I measured and marked my hiking pole at 49 inches - so no guessing. Although this isn't crucial, it's a good starting point.

Another picture with sticks.

I stake out the front corners, then the front guyline, (it usually requires length adjustment, and should be in line with angle of the vestibule) then the back guyline, then the back corners.
    I always do the opposite, starting at the center back, then the two back corners, then the front corners. Insert the pole and pull it up with the center guy line. Re-adjust the stakes if needed.

Doing it that way if the site is small, you know where the back edge is. If you start in the front, you might run out of room when you pull the back taught. But having the footprint cut to size can help you determine if you have enough space to set up the tent. That's my one complaint about the Lunar solo, it takes up a lot of space.

Having a good solid stake for the center guy line is important. I had the wind pull mine out once in a thunderstorm and collapse the tent on me. Spent the rest of the storm holding the hiking pole up to keep the tent off me while lightning dance around the area. Holding onto a metal pole during a thunderstorm was a little disturbing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Good looking pitch. How do you keep the bathtub sides that high? Do the "y" tie outs help with that?
    thanks

Yes they help. They lift everything up helping form the bathtub. Please they create more space above your head.

Images

I do as connolm with the sticks. The other usefulness of this is, it adds a bit of extra height at the foot end helping to keep my sleeping bag dry from condensation.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Practice and learn from those that can not those who can't...
    BTW, I found that painting lines on the floor, as suggested by connolm, does work but I prefer to have them thin (in height) so that they don't peel off.

++ New Posts ++