WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clingman's Dome -> Fontana or Davenport Gap - Last week in October - Feedback

Hello,

Was hoping for some feedback on a 4-day/3-night trip from Clingman's Dome to either Fontana or Davenport Gap in late October. I am an experienced hiker, primarily in Florida though, so extreme ups and downs could potentially be problematic. I've found some articles that give me the impression that this section is challenging and some that give me the impression that this is an easy section. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-EO

Going north from Clingmans/Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap is easier than going south to Fontana. That will be a great time to make the hike, assuming you can get the appropriate reservations.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Going north from Clingmans/Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap is easier than going south to Fontana. That will be a great time to make the hike, assuming you can get the appropriate reservations.
    I've got to respectfully disagree on which direction is easier.

If you look at an elevation profile, you'll see that both directions have several ups and downs. Neither direction has an obvious cumulative elevation gain you'll have to climb.
    You also have more shelter options heading towards Fontana, and a shorter distance as well.

I will say that many believe the eastern side (Davenport Gap) direction to be prettier... more views than the western side (Fontana).

Now I think soumodler's assessment becomes true if you do an eastern side trip starting at New Found Gap compared to a western side starting at Clingman's Dome.
    While I'm not sure what views you'll get that time of year with the leaves down at that elevation by that time of year, generally speaking the walk between NFG and CD is a green tunnel, and you're not missing much if you simply skip it.

As to soumodeler's other point...
    If your trip includes an October weekend, the most difficult part of the hike might be getting the needed shelter reservation.

BTW: East = NOBO, West = SOBO. GSMNP is laid out more east-west than it is north-south. Since I don't consider myself an AT thru hiker, I think of GSMNP more in terms of the TN/NC side and west/east side. But of course the AT overall runs North/South.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-19-2018 at 17:25.

-

Fontana makes a great spot to park - a federal protected facility - also nice heated free showers before the ride home

Journal Entries

The steep rocky up-downs between rocky top and silers are the hardest part of AT in the park. The elevation profile really dont do it justice.

Id say easier to davenport.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-19-2018 at 22:54.

I would hands down choose the northern half of the park. I have walked both of these sections twice and will continue to walk the Newfound gap to Davenport section time after time however the the clingmans to Fontana section will possibly never see me again. Nothing much to see between clingmans and newfound gap fyi
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Both ends of the park have their perks.. South end has Shuckstack firetower and Rocky Top. North end has Mt. Cammerer firetower and Charlie's Bunion. I'd say the northern half -- Clingman's Dome to Davenport Gap, but I'm biased. Charlie's Bunion is my favorite spot in the park. I've hiked Cammerer many times and it's also hard to beat. Shuckstack I hiked in about a foot of snow and the views from the tower were awesome. Rocky Top was also done in the snow and didn't get to see anything there, so it was mostly forgettable besides the aching in my feet the next day. It's not such a long haul of a drive either getting back into town (pigeon forge area) from Davenport versus getting back from Fontana Dam.. assuming you'd be going there.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I would hands down choose the northern half of the park. I have walked both of these sections twice and will continue to walk the Newfound gap to Davenport section time after time however the the clingmans to Fontana section will possibly never see me again. Nothing much to see between clingmans and newfound gap fyi
    I tried to answer the OPs original question about which way I thought was "easier"...
    But I agree, hands down, that the northern half would make a nicer trip than southern half.

Thank you for the feedback. One follow-up question: Assuming I'd head NOBO (east), I'm uncertain as to what intinerary makes more sense, (considering that some of the feedback is that it seems like Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap is somewhat bland):

M201 - Clingman's Dome
    M212 - Icewater Spring Shelter
    M224 - Tri-Corner Knob Shelter
    M232 - Cosby Knob Shelter
    M240 - I-40 (car)

OR

M209 - Newfound Gap
    M212 - Pecks Corner Shelter
    M240 - I-40(car)

Obviously the second option makes it a 3-day trip instead of a 4-day but I can't seem to find a good way to walk around 10-12 miles a day max and wind up at my car on the 4th day.

Any thoughts?

-EO

Oops--> M219 - Pecks Corner Shelter (not M212)

Images

Don't park a car at I 40...

park it at the Rangers station at big creek...

theres a high probability it will get broken into at 40...

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I will say that many believe the eastern side (Davenport Gap) direction to be prettier... more views than the western side (Fontana).
    I agree with this statement. I kept remarking to my buddy when we did NFG to DG how much prettier and scenic that stretch was than Fontana to NFG.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by eotero057 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. One follow-up question: Assuming I'd head NOBO (east), I'm uncertain as to what intinerary makes more sense, (considering that some of the feedback is that it seems like Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap is somewhat bland):

M201 - Clingman's Dome
    M212 - Icewater Spring Shelter
    M224 - Tri-Corner Knob Shelter
    M240 - I-40 (car)

OR

M209 - Newfound Gap
    M212 - Pecks Corner Shelter
    M240 - I-40(car)

Obviously the second option makes it a 3-day trip instead of a 4-day but I can't seem to find a good way to walk around 10-12 miles a day max and wind up at my car on the 4th day.

Any thoughts?

-EO
    I will always go from Newfound Gap to i40 (Go Nobo) unless your knees just REALLY don't like down hills and you like big climbs up. Then I would go sobo.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks for the heads-up; so take the Chestnut Branch Trail down to the ranger station?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eotero057 View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up; so take the Chestnut Branch Trail down to the ranger station?
    Yes.
    The trailhead comes out onto the Big Creek Campground road about 100 yards west of the parking lot at the ranger station.

++ New Posts ++