WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Steam Crossings Penmar to rt233

I have a trip planned in two weeks and was wondering how many stream crossings there are from PenMar north to rt233 and what the conditions are? I'm concerned that with all the rain for the past several months that the streams would be difficult to cross due to flooding.

Thanks in advance for any information.

There are two in the northern part of the state that can be hazardous after heavy and/or prolonged rains:

Little Antietam Creek, just south of Md. 491/Raven Rock Road
    Warner Gap Road, the creek just south

They were reports these being impassible a week ago. They tend to rise quickly and often fall fairly quickly, but when impassible you may have to backtrack and detour around it, or wait until the next day. This is a good example of when it's important to have a hard-copy map.

The creeks are usually impassible only a few days during the year, but when it does happen hikers are often taken off guard because Maryland's terrain can seem so gentle and benign compared to other states.

Yes, I ran into those crossings last spring. It took quite a bit to get around the one closest to Raven Rock rd.

This time I'm heading north from PenMar into PA. ending at Rt233.

Due to the heavy rains I didn't get a chance to complete this section so I'm attempting to do so about Mid-April this year. It seems we are still getting a good deal of rain but I'm wondering if anyone had been out on this section recently.

That would be from PenMar north ending at Rt233 in PA. How is the trail in this section?

Thanks in advance.

++ New Posts ++