WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtngoat01 View Post
    We went one way to Reno...No return flight when we went out there. We were planning to fly home from Las Vegas actually but by the time we finished:

a) the flights from Las Vegas were way pricey for some strange reason... like $500 even a week in advance when they were $150-200 all day long just a few days prior

b) there were no rental cars available when we finished. We finished on a Thursday and there were no cars in Bishop or anywhere else until the following Tuesday and they were $$$$.

c)LA had cheap flight and we could get there via public transport.

A word about this though, cautionary tale if you will...you can get to LA using the info in our trip report, this is true. In hindsight we could have done well with a day or two between finishing and making the trip.

There are A LOT of people and noise associated with that method of getting to LA. At times it was quite stressful for me. This may not be the case for everyone but for me arriving at LA Union station (as well as the train from Lancaster, CA) was probably a too much stimuli after a peaceful stretch in the woods.

Just be prepared for a dramatic difference in your surroundings and re-entry to non-trail life especially if you make the trip the day after you finish your hike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I did things from the other way round... Flew to the west coast, train/bus to Yosemite Valley, then bus from Lone Pine to Reno.

Not sure how well timing works going the other way, but rather than LAX, I did Sacramento. Stayed in a hotel (hotel drove me from airport to the hotel) and the Amtrak station was across the street. So the morning started with a nice train ride before.an Amtrack sponsored bus got me to Yosemite.

I’m probably going to fly into LAX and rent a car to drive to LP. Can I park at someone’s house or on the street for a weekend hike?! In full disclosure my own plans to thru the JMT won’t happen in 2019 but I am going to get to hike the last 50 miles of it with buddies, and perform as their getaway driver. While not a thru I am stoked to get out there even for just a few days

You can park at Whitney Portal.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    You can park at Whitney Portal.
    Yes, should have led with this info. I have heard bears like the cars that park there and would be parking a rental car and then shuttling to Onion Valley. I had heard of a guy or a company that allows you to park and also shuttles

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I have heard bears like the cars that park there...
    The bears don't like cars, but they do like food left in cars. Keep the car clean of food and no problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    The bears don't like cars, but they do like food left in cars. Keep the car clean of food and no problems.
    Yes, bears see cars as a potential food source anywhere in the Sierras (not just Whitney Portal). Don’t keep food or anything that looks like it would contain food (ice chests, etc) anywhere that it can be seen inside the car.

I wouldnt have any problem leaving a rental car at Whitney Portal during a JMT hike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtngoat01 View Post
    We went one way to Reno...No return flight when we went out there. We were planning to fly home from Las Vegas actually but by the time we finished:

a) the flights from Las Vegas were way pricey for some strange reason... like $500 even a week in advance when they were $150-200 all day long just a few days prior

b) there were no rental cars available when we finished. We finished on a Thursday and there were no cars in Bishop or anywhere else until the following Tuesday and they were $$$$.

c)LA had cheap flight and we could get there via public transport.

A word about this though, cautionary tale if you will...you can get to LA using the info in our trip report, this is true. In hindsight we could have done well with a day or two between finishing and making the trip.

There are A LOT of people and noise associated with that method of getting to LA. At times it was quite stressful for me. This may not be the case for everyone but for me arriving at LA Union station (as well as the train from Lancaster, CA) was probably a too much stimuli after a peaceful stretch in the woods.

Just be prepared for a dramatic difference in your surroundings and re-entry to non-trail life especially if you make the trip the day after you finish your hike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Easy to get to LA
    Easy to bum a ride
    Many day/overnight hikers from mt whitney are from that area. Out of dozens per day.
    Im making up a number here, but id bet its 1/5. Lots.
    Hang around hostel or dow villa and ask, offer to pay for gas

If someone cant bum ride to LA....they must be really scary looking.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-21-2018 at 07:09.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++