WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Montbell Versalite Sizing?

I need a new rain jacket and am thinking the Montbell Versalite would fit my needs. I'm 6'2" but rather skinny (160 lbs.). I would like to wear the Versalite over a fleece for colder weather. Any opinions?

i have a Patagonia Houdini wind shirt in large but it doesn't really fit over any bulky layers and if I had gotten some feedback before I bought it, I may have gotten the xlarge. On the other hand, I really like the Houdini and dont wear bulky layers under it so maybe I wouldn't have gotten the xlarge.

I think it may depend on your arm length. The xl may be too baggy. I'm on my third MB Versalite. I bought my last one on sale last yr heavily discounted in Portland at the MB outlet downtown at nearly the same price as a new Marmot Precip which gets so many nods here on WB. I've had Marmot Precips. The MB Versalite is a better overall jacket for my goals and spec requirements but possibly a bit less durable. It's certainly more breathable more ventable. 6' 4" lanky lean 205 lbs 34" waist. I dont like arm length creep. I want mittens/gloves to be overlapped by rain jacket sleeve. I like the velcro wrist adjustment for a good seal. I dont like a tight fit in a rain/pseudo wind jacket. I like thin layering underneath. I use as both a rain jacket and wind jacket. It has pit zips and full frontal chest zip. I go for the XL. Lg is too small for me in the body and arm length. What you may seek is a slim long version XL or lg version rain jacket if athletic fit for your body is paramount. I find the XL to be a perfect somewhat athletic but definitely not baggy fit for me which still comes in with all those bells and whistles at 6.7-6.8 oz. I do reapply a DWR occasionally. Very reliable in my usage. Better than the 7 oz Marmot Mica's I used for several yrs that repeatedly had delamination issues. It's one of my core layering pieces that goes with me on 75 % of my trips. I also use a ZP Challenger and an Arcteryx rain jacket. OR Helium II for wandering on less strenuous outings in colder weather or for in the trunk of the car. MB Tachyon or Pat Houdini when a wind shirt/jacket is enough.

Can't comment on the MB fit specifically but on the if "I had gotten some feedback before i bought it" topic...

I have two houdini's now... one Large, one XL (summer/fall) because of layering. (be patient and you can find them at 50% off)

I use the patagonia M10 for my rain shell... in XL. The two times I'm bringing the heavier rain shell are spring or winter... both times I'm more likely to be layering.

As the rain shells continue to drop in weight I may revisit that at some point and choose one of the 'do it all' 6 ounce shells like the versalite.

Point being- I'd size up for layering on this one.
    If this shell turns out to do what it claims... might be worth picking one up to replace your wind shirt down the line in the smaller size.

++ New Posts ++