WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Got outside today with the REI Flash today. (Wasn't able to last weekend.)

It was unexpectedly easy to setup. Straps go around the trees. Hammock connects to straps with the C-clips. Pole goes into sewn track. Tarp goes up with the attached lines and c-clips. I expected more fiddling, tweaking, and resetting. I think I could do it in about 90 seconds if needed. (faster?)

I partially inflated my Thermarest NeoAir Xlite pad and locked it in place with the restraining straps. Sitting down in it, I noticed that the hammock stretched/sagged quite a bit more than I expected. Maybe that's because it's new?

The lay was surprisingly comfortable both on my back and on my side in semi-fetal position. Given the vitriol toward this design and REI, I was expecting to be uncomfortable. Not so at all! I didn't fall asleep - but I hung in there for about ten minutes. The gentle swaying was very relaxing. I could roll to either side and remain comfortable. It seemed like I didn't need to be perfectly centered in the hammock.

Next, I took the air pad out and laid down. Again, I was surprised by the comfort. I actually preferred the side semi-fetal position MORE without the pad than with it. But I also noticed the cooling effect of the hammock fabric on my backside. It seemed like warmth was actively sucked away from me by the breeze.

Tear down went quickly and easily. I think I re-packed the hammock in the sack better than it was originally packed.

The tarp had an very cool feature for packing up. There were velcro tabs that would hold the wrapped up tie-outs. (I'll try to get a picture - but this seemed very very cool to me!)

I really like how the "pole" helped the hammock keep its shape and lift the net. The space above my head was impressive and there seemed to be a lot of hammock left below my feet.

I also noted some downsides. As stated in other reviews, the ridgeline is under high tension and the plastic clip that bears all that tension seems a bit meek. I was able to zip the bug net past that clip either due to tension. So the net has to be half zipped before getting in. As well, the zipper hung up several times at the same place where there's a sewing transition from net to fabric.

The pockets in the area above my head were cool. But at the angle I set it up, everything rolled out of the pockets. The straps worked for the trees I selected - but they were at their limit. Another few inches would be preferred.

I didn't have the same feeling of being "inside" something like I do with a tent. Maybe a good thing - maybe not. Time will tell. I also didn't know what to think about NOT having somewhere to put my gear.

Overall - I left pretty excited about the hammock. It was more comfortable than I expected and very easy to setup.

Up next - I need to get back out and try the 11ft hammock I picked up for comparison. I'd also like to see how the REI Flash performs in poor weather.

Thanks for the update! Glad you enjoyed your hang. Watch out, it's additive!

Images

It was unexpectedly easy to setup... I think REI did a good job trying to understand their customer and what was needed for a first-timer to be successful.

Sitting down in it, I noticed that the hammock stretched/sagged quite a bit more than I expected. Maybe that's because it's new?... Some stretch can be a good thing for comfort, depending on your weight. Likely will do that every time out.

The lay was surprisingly comfortable both on my back and on my side in semi-fetal position. Given the vitriol toward this design and REI, I was expecting to be uncomfortable. Not so at all! I didn't fall asleep - but I hung in there for about ten minutes... Vitriol, huh? Well, let's be clear, most of us that have criticized the Flash have never been in it. That said, need to keep in mind that we have a high enough experience level to have some fairly clear insights into what affects comfort for a hammock, even though comfort is still a very personal thing. I think REI is trying to do something different with the Flash, and it will be good to hear your long-term report on your level of success in using it. I'd ask you to make another assessment of our general opinions on the hammock after you've spent more than 10 minutes in one - like overnight. Perhaps REI is on to something that we were remiss in our consideration.

I actually preferred the side semi-fetal position MORE without the pad than with it... Just guessing it could be related to knee hyperextension.
    A figure 4 lay is a good middle ground for laying on your back - one leg out, one pulled in.

I also noticed the cooling effect of the hammock fabric on my backside. It seemed like warmth was actively sucked away from me by the breeze... That's exactly what it is. Much like sleeping on a waterbed when the power goes out. Does anybody sleep on a waterbed anymore? Anyway, a similar effect would occur on the ground because of the temperature differential between you and the ground. That's the primary reason for a pad. But in a hammock you have wind whisking away your heat more quickly than how the ground absorbs it. Has to be real warm overnite to sleep without any insulation. Not sure if the Flash can accommodate an UQ?

Tear down went quickly and easily. I think I re-packed the hammock in the sack better than it was originally packed. The tarp had an very cool feature for packing up. There were velcro tabs that would hold the wrapped up tie-outs... Again, that's something that REI does real well and I sort of wish some others would spend more attention on. The cottage hammock industry has always been more modular in its focus as opposed to trying to sell an all-in-one product like REI is trying to do.

I really like how the "pole" helped the hammock keep its shape and lift the net. The space above my head was impressive and there seemed to be a lot of hammock left below my feet... I hang my tarp high and don't use a net. I don't know what is impressive or not, but given that REI intends the Flash to be more like a hanging bivy, then in that regard I suppose headroom is a definite perk.

I also noted some downsides... Good notes on the issues. I find that all the products I've used have some downside, and for me, it comes down to the cumulative number of downsides and what I'm willing, and not willing to put up with on my trips. Often, more so than the potential of the upsides. I think a lot of "selling" a product focuses on the upsides, whereas one significant downside makes it unusable. I think this is where much of our critisism of the Flash comes in - that we see potential significant downsides that would rule it out for us. But again, looking forward to hearing your take after using it on some overnights.

I didn't have the same feeling of being "inside" something like I do with a tent. Maybe a good thing - maybe not. Time will tell... This is one of the biggest "pros" for me, the open feeling. Even better without a net (for me).

I also didn't know what to think about NOT having somewhere to put my gear... And the #1 noob question, survey says, "Where do I put my gear?" So, where did you put your gear. THAT is where you put your gear. Keep in mind that while you don't have walls like a tent, you do have dry space like a tent. So the ground underneath your tarp is not really any different than what you have in a tent. Sure, you probably want to have it more in the center than around the edge, and a lot of us take something to put the gear on so that its not directly on the ground.

Up next - I need to get back out and try the 11ft hammock I picked up for comparison... Excellent idea!! Do try out both overnight, because any hammock is relatively comfy to lounge in. Spending 8+ hrs in one can be different.

I'd also like to see how the REI Flash performs in poor weather... The tarp is small but I believe its designed to sit fairly close to you so that it probably performs pretty well. Because its not wide enough to get close to the ground, its going to let in some windblown rain (gear) and its not going to block much wind. You can replace the tarp if you find the hammock to be comfy long term.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

If you buy a steup from Hennessy, they throw in the snakeskins for free. I've been hanging with their equipment for a couple of years and have had no problems, other than you will want to upgrade the tarp to a hex. Just do it. If you custom order, they'll probably swap the tarps out and reduce the price of the standard setup. If you want a deep discount, and can wait until May, go to Trail Days. They show up, and on the last Sunday they deep discount what they have left on hand. I got mine for better than 50 percent off for a hyperlite. Its stated weight limit is 200 lbs, though, so you may want to stick with the ultralight.

G

Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    Hi Hammockers:

Seeking advice and expertise from the Whiteblaze Hammock crowd. Lots of information below. But the key question is:

REI Flash or Hennessy Explorer Ultralite Zip for a first timer?

Quick facts:

I'm 47 years old, 5'11" and 220 lbs. I'm a casual hiker and bikepacker. I'm a side sleeper.

I've been a tent camper with a SMD Lunar Solo and a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite pad.

-->> I'm committed to buying from REI because I want the ability to return the hammock if it isn't for me.

Hammocks for consideration:

Hennessy Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip from REI for $279.95 at 2 lbs. 4 oz. I'd also add Snakeskins for another $20 - so $299.95 total.

REI Co-op Flash Air Hammock from REI for $199.95 at 2 lbs. 13 oz.

More details:

My two most recent adventures have demonstrated significant drawbacks for tent camping. I experienced limited tenting sites on the AT over the Bigelow Preserve. There were almost no tent sites between shelters and then the tent sites were often platforms. While bikepacking the Green Mountain Gravel Growler, I wanted to stealth camp in the road-side woods on "non-tentable" terrain. On both adventures, I felt a hammock would have been preferable.

I naively assume that hammocking negates the need for the 12oz pad (although I also understand that under-insulation is required in cooler situations).

Hennessy Hammock
    Pros:
    2 lbs 4 oz. - lighter than Flash
    Better color environment
    Longer than Flash
    Snakeskins!
    Asym diagonal lie

Cons:
    $100 more than Flash
    Weight is reported to be mis-represented and likely closer to 2 lbs 8 oz. Then add Snakeskins.
    Tarp is frequently cited as too small - especially for poor weather
    Concerned about complexity

REI Flash
    Pros:
    Looks like a cool, completely integrated system designed from ground up
    Pole spreader gives shape
    more pockets and storage
    Whoppie Slings
    Pad straps

Cons:
    Horrible color
    Banana lie? (Can't tell)
    Slightly heavier
    Short (?)

Other thoughts?

*** I like the idea of the Flash. It simply looks cool. Worried about the banana lie and the shortness though. But in one review, the reviewer said he would recommend it wholeheartedly above a Hennessy. And the $100 price difference is significant.

*** But I also like the idea of the Hennessy. It's got a longer history and is more prevalent in the "hammock-sphere." I wish it had Whoopie slings though. And the tarp has me concerned that I'll need to spend more soon.

Please - no flame war on REI. I'm committed to buying from them to increase my dividend and because of their return policy. I also know about underquilts and am not ready to deal with that yet. This will be used in nice weather to start.

Also note - I have a Moskito by Byer of Maine. It's cheap and uncomfortable and I can't imagine ever getting a wink of sleep in it. The ropes tangle easily and the bug net is fragile like crepe paper. If neither the REI Flash nor the Hennessy are significantly better than the Moskito, let me know and I won't bother.

I'm eager to hear Whiteblaze's thoughts! Chime in and offer an opinion!

You hang guys, the ones who really live it, are like the Stovies. Deep end of the pool. I sit in awe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You hang guys, the ones who really live it, are like the Stovies. Deep end of the pool. I sit in awe.
    Are you saying we're not shallow?!?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++