WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The local media is already saying the ground is saturated with all this rain we had already. Does any of the clubs (Or groups.) need an extra hand fixing the trail after the storm?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    The local media is already saying the ground is saturated with all this rain we had already. Does any of the clubs (Or groups.) need an extra hand fixing the trail after the storm?
    I'm sure they will, but much of this will be chainsaw work, which requires certification, for which the requirements depend a lot on who has jurisdiction for that section. Still, there will be plenty of grunt work to do, like moving limbs and tree trunks, fixing eroded sections of trail and so on. Small mud slides blocking the trail could occur in places.

Of course, someone has to walk the trail to assess damage and record it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I received this email today:

To: All SMHC/ATMC Maintainers,

We have received the following directions from ATC:
    Hurricane Florence is currently predicted to bring extreme winds and heavy rains, up to 10 inches, to portions of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail including Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Many of these areas have already seen flood-like conditions over the past few days. Falling trees, high winds, flash flooding, and landslides are among the predicted hazards.
    All National Park Service owned sections of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail from North Carolina through Virginia will be closed. During this extreme weather event all hikers are being advised to get off the trail and seek shelter or postpone their hike. Additional closures are in effect for other National Park units, USFS and State Parks that the trail traverses. Any additional closures will be determined as the storm progresses.
    A.T. maintainers and Trail club volunteers should cease work on the A.T. and its side trails in closed areas by 5pm Thursday, September 13. Conditions will be extremely hazardous and rescue services will potentially be unable to reach you in the event of an emergency. Therefore, all A.T. maintenance must cease for the duration of the storm.
    The health, safety, and well-being of our volunteers is our priority. Once the storm passes, volunteers should use extreme caution when starting to evaluate the condition of the trail. We will reopen as conditions allow. The recovery efforts will likely be significant and could be extremely complex. Volunteers are encouraged to perform operational risk management and walk away from any situation they deem too dangerous. NPS emergency funds or resources may be requested to assist in clean up. Contact your ATC regional office for more information.

Images

Well, I live in Charlotte, NC, and the hurricane is on the way. My plane to Albany, NY takes off tomorrow at 8:30 pm and then I take a bus to Rutland, VT to do my next to last section southbound for a week. American Airlines has yet to cancel the flight out of Charlotte. They may be able to sneak in a takeoff before everything breaks loose in Charlotte. If so, I am out of a ticket. Anyway, I can't go off and hike and leave the wife, kids, and house to the hurricane. Everyone have a good week, I'll send pics! It also sounds like the storm track is heading up north. So maybe I do the 12/13 hour drive from Charlotte the first week of October. I've never hiked in the Northeast that time of year. It's either then or I have to wait another year. It want be those 14 hour days I had last summer, but maybe some fall colors. Man it takes a long time to knock out these sections a week or two at a time, and all I want to do is hike them. I guess it's all good things in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    Well, I live in Charlotte, NC, and the hurricane is on the way. My plane to Albany, NY takes off tomorrow at 8:30 pm and then I take a bus to Rutland, VT to do my next to last section southbound for a week. American Airlines has yet to cancel the flight out of Charlotte. They may be able to sneak in a takeoff before everything breaks loose in Charlotte. If so, I am out of a ticket. Anyway, I can't go off and hike and leave the wife, kids, and house to the hurricane. Everyone have a good week, I'll send pics! It also sounds like the storm track is heading up north. So maybe I do the 12/13 hour drive from Charlotte the first week of October. I've never hiked in the Northeast that time of year. It's either then or I have to wait another year. It want be those 14 hour days I had last summer, but maybe some fall colors. Man it takes a long time to knock out these sections a week or two at a time, and all I want to do is hike them. I guess it's all good things in due time.
    Did they end up cancelling the flights? Best of luck and stay safe, let us know how you guys did down there... we dodged it down in the tidewater region of VA, little more than some wind and rain.

I'm still hiking SOBO, has the storm changed directions, if so what is its latest path?

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    I'm still hiking SOBO, has the storm changed directions, if so what is its latest path?
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...?cone#contents

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    American Airline has waived their fees to reschedule your flight. Check your carrier to see if they have done the same. Looks like late Monday or Tuesday are doable from CLT.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Thanks! I've been hiking with Tin and Can, they're getting off at the Hudson today completing their section hike and said they will pick me up at any road crossing so I can continue on. Looks like late Tuesday or early Wed then a hotel stay for me until it passes. From whatever point I get off >>> on to Harpers Ferry will depend on trail conditions and a much slower pace. I fully expect mud and blowdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    As of 6:00am on Saturday 9/15 the storm track was forecasted from landfall to push west northwest through central South Carolina, at some point changing from a tropical storm to a tropical depression moving slowly north and past Charlotte to the west with a gradual curve north northeast through eastern Tennessee and Kentucky, southeastern Ohio, downgrading to a low pressure system cutting east through Pennsylvania and New England and out to see across the Canadian Maritimes by Thursday morning. Lots of rain will be carried by the storm with flash flood and landslide warnings through most of that journey. Impact to the AT will be high during the next five days or so.

Default Impacts to AT as Florence travels up Appalachians

Folks may have grown weary of hurricane - now tropical depression - reports now that wind speeds and drama have lessened. But Traveler was right; the biggest impacts for the Appalachian Trail were for the last day or so and now for the next few.

Here's what ATC posted on our Trail Updates page <www.appalachiantrail.org/updates> around noon today, based on messaging from the Appalachian Trail Park Office after their call this morningwith other park units along the Trail:

Potential for localized tornado events in Virginia today. The rain amounts expected are from 1 - 6 inches from Virginia into West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York through today and overnight. Flash Flood Watch in effect for many of the areas mentioned above. The A.T. passes through many low-lying areas in the mid-Atlantic.

Shenandoah National Park: Skyline Drive is closed due to adverse weather. Numerous trees are down from 20 mph sustained winds with heavy rain and low visibility. Backcountry access is closed.

For areas north of the closure, please use extra caution as debris may still fall, saturated soils from several weeks of rain could cause trees to uproot, landslides and isolated areas of flooding.

The Potomac River at Harpers Ferry has the potential to flood at the C&O Towpath section, which would necessitate a closure of the footbridge connecting Harpers Ferry and Maryland.

And the earlier messaging (note A.T. corridor lands, including northern Virginia, the McAfee Knob/Triple Crown Area; the Blue Ridge Parkway; and other areas and roads are also still closed):

Overview of Appalachian Trail Closures and Storm Impacts

Hurricane Florence, which has been downgraded to a tropical depression, has been predicted to bring extreme winds and heavy rains, up to 10 inches, to portions of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail including Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Many of these areas have already seen flood like conditions over the past few days. Falling trees, flash flooding, mudslides and rock slides are among the predicted hazards.

All National Park Service owned corridor lands of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail from North Carolina through Virginia will be closed after 5pm on Thursday, September 13. During this extreme weather event all hikers should get off the trail and seek shelter or postpone your hike. Rescue services will potentially be unable to reach you in the event of an emergency. Closures are in effect for other National Park units, USFS and State Parks that the trail traverses. Additional closures will be determined as the storm progresses.

The health, safety, and well-being of the public and visitors to the Trail is of our number one priority. The trail will be evaluated for health and safety and reopened as conditions allow following the storm passage.

Hikers are strongly encouraged to practice extreme caution and monitor weather sites such as the NOAA National Hurricane Center and this page for alerts and closures, and re-openings after the hurricane passes, assessments are conducted, and clean-up and trail repairs are completed.

More details are listed in state-by-state sections. We will update the page as sections are re-opened and alerts lifted.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Absolutely nothing of note happened here in Tennessee. We have stronger storms with more wind and rainfall almost weekly in the summer. We MIGHT have had two inches in two days, which is nothing really.

I decided to get off the trail for a couple of days, had hoped to make it to NJ, but todays heavy rain persuaded me to call it and be safe, besides sitting in a shelter isn't my thing. Tin and Can picked me up, I will stay with them for a couple of days until this passes and water has time to recede.

Thank God, nothing here in far western North Carolina. Maybe 4 tenths of an inch of rain and very little breeze. Hopefully it was the same at higher altitudes. Hoping to get a hike in this weekend around the state line (Ga - NC).

The northwest corner, Boone area, got a bit more than the Georgia end of the state line. Nothing terrible. My daughter said that they are fine.
    Thank goodness!
    Wayne

-

well, the springs should have good flow for fall hiking in the south

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The northwest corner, Boone area, got a bit more than the Georgia end of the state line. Nothing terrible. My daughter said that they are fine.
    Thank goodness!
    Wayne
    Glad to hear that your family is fine. I know you were worried there for awhile.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Glad to hear that your family is fine. I know you were worried there for awhile.
    Thanks Bill! They’ve been in the mountains long enough to know how to get along come what may.
    Boone has gotten much more severe flooding from passing thunderstorms in recent years.
    We’ll be there next month. Looking forward to seeing them.
    Wayne

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++