WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rainfall potential as of 5 PM, 9/0/18:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents

It’s raining right now. The Blue Ridge Mountains, Smokies, Tennessee, Virginia.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It’s raining right now. The Blue Ridge Mountains, Smokies, Tennessee, Virginia.
    Wayne
    Ya its been raining here since March

That’s why it’s called a Rain Forest.
    Wayne

I was in a tent, solo, at Maupin when Matthew hit. It sucked. Never again.

I live in Currituck, which includes part of the Outer banks. For the first time I may leave. And there is absolutely nowhere to go within 6 or 7 hours. Not due to bookings, but due to the size. This storm is big and impressive. If you're inthe woods, be safe. If you're on the coast be safe....

This is interesting.
    App State has a home game in Boone Saturday against Southern Mississippi. Good luck!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    As of 6:30 P.M. (Monday.) Hurricane Florence is now a Cat. 4. It may turn into a weak Cat. 5 before hitting the coast. Be careful everyone. If I remember correctly when Hurricane Agnes hit, it was a nightmare for those on the trail. So many high water rescues I lost count. (Central PA.) Our prayers are thoughts are with everyone in the path of this monster.
    Having experienced Camille and Katrina, I don't think the word "weak" should ever precede the words "Cat. 5.".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Currently watching the Weather Channel. It’s all canned warnings and hyped computer model numbers right now. Gotta keep the ratings up. Too early to tell what will actually happen.
    Suffice to say this year has been very wet already in the Carolinas and Virginia. More rain will not be pretty.
    Hiking in the mountains this week and next would be interesting to say the least.
    Wayne
    Please don't do that. This is a serious storm and minimizing it by portraying it as hype for ratings could have very serious consequences for anyone who reads your post and moves on. It is pretty obvious these days how many people get their information from poor sources and can not seem to distinguish form good sources. Don;t be a poor source.

There are a multitude of models and they are in relatively strong agreement in that there is a potentially catastrophic rain event headed for the NC coast and even moreso the mid-state region. Whether it hit north NC or South NC is still to be determined. It is also still to be determined whether this system shoots to mod-state and dumps 12+ inches of rain on the mountains. The flooding will be pretty bad, let along toppling trees in soggy ground.

There is high potential for this to be a Very bad Time to be hiking in this area. Be smart, get off the trail and if it were me, I'd probably get off on the western side of the mountains if at all possible.

Consider yourself lucky to find a room as people are reporting no places to stay 6-7 hours out from the coast. Imagine if this storm hits and moves to the central part of NC to dump 20" or more rain as some models predict? So, add the potential logistics of getting a shuttle to an open room at the last minute. If it were me, I would be getting off the trail today or at the very least lining up my pre-paid reservation and transport.

Images

I was just about to post this exact image. The link may update the image, which will be most useful in the short term, but for historic reasons, here is a static snapshot (hopefully I'm using the image attachment mechanism correctly). It is looking more like wind won't be the biggest issue for most of NC/VA, other than near the coast. The storm is projected to cross land very slowly, which means that total rainfall is the biggest threat.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Rainfall potential as of 5 PM, 9/0/18:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents

Images

Okay, apparently I didn't use the image tool correctly. Can't edit my last post. Here is the image.
    RainProjection20180911.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I was just about to post this exact image. The link may update the image, which will be most useful in the short term, but for historic reasons, here is a static snapshot (hopefully I'm using the image attachment mechanism correctly). It is looking more like wind won't be the biggest issue for most of NC/VA, other than near the coast. The storm is projected to cross land very slowly, which means that total rainfall is the biggest threat.

This is interesting.
    App State has a home game in Boone Saturday against Southern Mississippi. Good luck!
    Wayne
    I see you're adding to your post count

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher709 View Post
    Please don't do that. This is a serious storm and minimizing it by portraying it as hype for ratings could have very serious consequences for anyone who reads your post and moves on. It is pretty obvious these days how many people get their information from poor sources and can not seem to distinguish form good sources. Don;t be a poor source.

There are a multitude of models and they are in relatively strong agreement in that there is a potentially catastrophic rain event headed for the NC coast and even moreso the mid-state region. Whether it hit north NC or South NC is still to be determined. It is also still to be determined whether this system shoots to mod-state and dumps 12+ inches of rain on the mountains. The flooding will be pretty bad, let along toppling trees in soggy ground.

There is high potential for this to be a Very bad Time to be hiking in this area. Be smart, get off the trail and if it were me, I'd probably get off on the western side of the mountains if at all possible.

Consider yourself lucky to find a room as people are reporting no places to stay 6-7 hours out from the coast. Imagine if this storm hits and moves to the central part of NC to dump 20" or more rain as some models predict? So, add the potential logistics of getting a shuttle to an open room at the last minute. If it were me, I would be getting off the trail today or at the very least lining up my pre-paid reservation and transport.
    Sketcher, thanks, he likes seeing is post count go up by adding useless info

I'm in Salisbury CT now and have better internet access, I see the storm is aiming for the NC-VA coast, this is something I couldn't see yesterday. We won't know for a few days which way it will follow after landfall. I think my biggest concern is it taking a northern turn, can't control it but definitely don't want to hike into it. I'm leaving Salisbury after I eat lunch should be in Kent later tomorrow, will check the storm status then. Hope the SoBo's have access to safe accommodations as this storm makes its way inland. Stay safe out there.

Been through hurricanes since grammar school. The first one I remember came up the Connecticut River valley right over our house. Katrina changed our lives.
    The Government did the right thing. Evacuation in progress without clogging the roads. Well done.
    When I posted the Weather Channel info it was too early to know anything definite.
    I wish everyone well. Be safe.
    I’m glad Y’all are watching my post count. I’m not.
    Wayne

PS:
    One more post.
    We have family in North Carolina. We are in constant contact with them. Praying for their safety.
    Y’all be safe too.
    Wayne

Images

Don't be too dismissive of the potential wind threat. I was forced to seek lower elevation on a Ga camp along the AT several years ago due to the long arms of Sandy, which didn't even make landfall.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

We're all prepping for Florence down here in the flatter parts of NC.

Two years ago I was on the last day of a section hike in Central VA when Hurricane Matthew made landfall. The hike out the last day wasn't fun, the drive home straight into the path of the storm even less so. Near home I had to make a detour from another detour because of fallen trees blocking the road.

Be safe, y'all!!!
    It's all good in the woods.

For storms like this it’s a good idea to have a NOAA radio, or smart phone, on the trail.

I was on the trail a couple of years ago during one of those torrential fronts. It rained like 6+ inches those few days. Even without the winds, it was miserable. Rain, rain, and more rain.

I rarely cancel any trips due to weather forecasts, since they are usually wrong. If I were supposed to go this weekend, I’d definitely stay home! If you do go, I think you’re nuts.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dawg View Post
    I'm leaving this Wednesday and will hit the Trail Thursday with a friend who's never been on the AT. I guess I'll just have to refer to the section between Erwin and Damascus as "Hurricane Alley". Wish us luck!
    If I had plans to head out this weekend anywhere in NC or VA I'd be cancelling. Never know what's gonna happen till it happens, but the current predictions have this thing making landfall somewhere on the NC coast and then sitting over NC/VA for multiple days. That would be one sucky wet hike best case scenario. Worst case is that it's also windy and limbs and trees are coming down.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Been through hurricanes since grammar school. The first one I remember came up the Connecticut River valley right over our house.Donna, No? I remember that one when I lived on Long Island as a kid. Katrina changed our lives.
    The Government did the right thing. Evacuation in progress without clogging the roads. Well done.
    When I posted the Weather Channel info it was too early to know anything definite.
    I wish everyone well. Be safe.
    I’m glad Y’all are watching my post count. I’m not.
    Wayne
    Be careful, one and all.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Right you are Bill!
    Donna roamed around for a couple weeks. From the Keys to Maine.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Donna
    Wayne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++